Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Skin problem?

Glad to hear it is improving. You can also get an allergy work up, it is costly but worth it. It can take a year (and a lot of patience and love on your part) to get a bully with allergies to a "happy place".
    Keep sharing your stories and what you try, (please ) ..... what works and what doesn't, because this topic will always be here and maybe your story can help someone else in the future

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

I have switched her food to Natural Balance Potato & Duck. She's been off of Science Diet for well over a month at this point and the food switch does not seem to be making a difference. I'm not sure how long it takes, but I had expected to see at least some progress by now.
    The vet says that our next step should we choose to do it, is to get her tested and to go on allergy shots. Not what I wanted to hear. I'm hoping we can get this under control without going down that road.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

With the allergy work up you will find out what your baby is allergic to, and giving shots may not be necessary if you find only a few problems in the work up that can be life altered, such as food allergies. Other allergies such as grass, trees, ect will be more difficult. Sometimes the dog does not take the shot well either.

If she has been on that food for a month it is definately time to try something else that has different ingredients, and keep a record of each food you try with all ingredients listed.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Samson's face used to break out too, look at him and the other bullies on the site's before and after page http://www.englishbulldognews.com/Do...n_And_Now.html For Samson is wasn't food alone. I feed him 2 cups of dry Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Fish a day. One cup a day is mixed with salmon oil and a heaping spoonful of wellness 95% canned salmon. He also takes an antihistamine called atarax twice daily with his food as prescribed by my vet.

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    REGINALD GRUFFALO THE FIRST
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm interested to know if Lolas scabs were wet/sticky before becoming scabs? My Reggie has broken out in wet patches the size of a penny around his face and back of neck. They itch. Then they turn to crusty scabs, and come off with the hair. I've switched to a salmon & potato diet and will take him back to vets as he was on antibiotics for 2 weeks and it cleared up. Then 1 week later I notice 2 new areas, 1 on top of his head and 1 side of face chin area. 1 is already scabbed but the 1 on top of his head is wet, weepy with clear sticky fluid?
    I will come back to this post and let you know what the vet does as I shall get Reg seen this week. Another community user has recommended I ask for mange scrapes to rule it out so I will do that.
    Reggies Mumx

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Please let us know about Reggie. Hope everything turns out with the scin scrape. @Reggie

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

Lola's bumps have never been wet, but it does sound like it could be the same thing. My vet refers to them as pustules, and that would lead me to believe that at some point, they fill with pus. She is currently on antiobiotics for them, and they do the trick, but always seem to come back. The vet says it's a bacteria infection triggered by allergies.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chloie
    Likes (Received)

My Chloie has the same thing going on. They thought it was ringworm, but they tested her and it's not that. She does have allergies and is on a Hypoallergnic (sp) dog food.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chloie
    Likes (Received)

That sounds like hot spots. My vet gave me Neo-Predef (prescription) for my Mitch (R.I.P)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Millie
    Likes (Received)

So glad that I read this! I am actually having the exact problem with Millie. She is 4 1/2 months old and I would say that I noticed this problem about three weeks ago. Ironically, she was on Iams from the breeder and seemed to be doing fine. However, I was told that Iams is terrible food and has a lot of unhealthy ingredients. So, about a month ago I switched her over to Nature's Variety- prairie, an all natural food with no corn or fillers. After reading this, I just got off the phone with my vet and she has an appointment! However does anyone think that I should switch to a grain free food as well?

I am a new bully mommy so I welcome any advice!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleMissMillie View Post
    So glad that I read this! I am actually having the exact problem with Millie. She is 4 1/2 months old and I would say that I noticed this problem about three weeks ago. Ironically, she was on Iams from the breeder and seemed to be doing fine. However, I was told that Iams is terrible food and has a lot of unhealthy ingredients. So, about a month ago I switched her over to Nature's Variety- prairie, an all natural food with no corn or fillers. After reading this, I just got off the phone with my vet and she has an appointment! However does anyone think that I should switch to a grain free food as well?

I am a new bully mommy so I welcome any advice!
    Personally I prefer grain free for Samson, he has bad allergies and grain free helps alot. Since you are already feeding Natures Variety you can try one of their Instinct foods, those are great grain free foods.

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads