EPS and drool?

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Hey everyone. So whopper is a heavy drooler. I am constantly wiping his jowls with a towel. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that should subside after he heals from EPS surgery. Seems like he is drooling even worse since the surgery on Monday but I expect that while he heals. I'm sure it's sore and swollen in his throat right now which naturally would produce more saliva than normal. I'm kind of hoping that after its all healed up in a couple weeks that he doesn't drool quite as much. I've had four other bulldogs and none of them drooled as much as whopper does.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Did they check his teeth while he was under? Sores in mouth,or teeth needing cleaning are possibilities. The only time one of mine drools, is when she is seeing me fix her food. The drooling should slow down once he heals,but some "floppy jowled" dogs are droolers, Check his mouth out for possibilities. Give him some time to heal [MENTION=16981]versicolor[/MENTION] Glad he is doing well!

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I will check his teeth. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm wondering if an elongated palate can contribute to excessive drooling. I've never read anything about if that is a possibility. Seems like it would though.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank is 'not' a drooler, but drooled for a bit after surgery...And ohhhhhhhhhhhh I was a tad freeked cause I thought "what have I done" !!! He quit :) so, hopfully, even though yours was a drooler before, mabie it's because the salvia wasn't flowing in the right direction and will now... i'll be real interested to know so try to remember to update. Also, I would surely think/hope that the vet would have checked teeth while under but do check... That's very possible a cause for drooling, though, as previously said, some just drool.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
How long was it before Hank quit drooling?

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
And where did you get that harness?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone. So whopper is a heavy drooler. I am constantly wiping his jowls with a towel. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that should subside after he heals from EPS surgery. Seems like he is drooling even worse since the surgery on Monday but I expect that while he heals. I'm sure it's sore and swollen in his throat right now which naturally would produce more saliva than normal. I'm kind of hoping that after its all healed up in a couple weeks that he doesn't drool quite as much. I've had four other bulldogs and none of them drooled as much as whopper does.

Is he still on pain meds? Wondering if he is in pain or the meds are upsetting his belly

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'd say by the 3rd day he was feeling pretty good... prob some drool, not constant, but it really took that two weeks before he seemed real good and I could see the full benefits of the surgery. The harness is a Julius k9.. I have two different ones for him and love both.. Amazon does sell (I think I got that one there) but check the Julius site as well because they have closeout sales with pretty good deals which is why I bought his summer one ;)

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Is he still on pain meds? Wondering if he is in pain or the meds are upsetting his belly

He is on cephalexin. Not sure if that is for pain but yes he does have an upset belly. When I feed him for meal #2 at about 2:30pm he seems to have trouble keeping it down. Any other meal he keeps it down fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I meant meal #3.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
In fact I just gave him a pill and he puked it right back up

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In fact I just gave him a pill and he puked it right back up

You can give pepcid for upset belly but It could be he is nauseous would call vet and see if they have something to help with the nausea which would be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
i kept food real soupy for a whole week... the only puke was right there at the vets b4 leaving. their throat is 'foreign' to them so even the lumpy pill was a bit of a challenge,,, though no puke.I'd call in...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Make sure he has the Cephalexin with food as it can upset their stomach otherwise.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.