A question about letting them sunbathe

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hank loves to go out numerous times a day and sunbathe. It was fine and I wasn't too concerned when it was winter, but how do I monitor that in the real heat. I've never known a dog to not monitor themselves, but I hear these guys don't?? Does he have to panting to be over heated? I don't want it to go that far. My back door is always open and I often find him out there. I always check on him but don't want to wait too long... sooooooooo???????????????? any suggestions on how to tell enough is enough?? IMG_1682  .PNG and,,, don't know if I attached a pic.... if I did, it has nothing to do with sunbathing I know... I was just practicing ;)

- - - Updated - - -

aww it worked... now i'll practice better ;)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
They absolutely do not know their limits. I would say restrict the time based on the temps outside. Anything hotter than than say 74-76 I'd do maybe a 10-15 min limit on - but still keep constant checking in on him. Yes, they will pant, even if laying down and watching their belly/chest is key. If you see him breathing heavier, bring him in right way and get em' some water or ice cubes. I let Tyson sunbathe prob a max of 10 -15 mins and I put a fan on him...that we keep outside. Its all about watching his body, and of course if the temps are over 80 or so I wouldn't allow it at all. Takes little to no time for them to overheat, and they don't even realize it themselves. I nearly have to drag Tyson in or hoax him with food. LOL

BTW, Love that Hank, he's looking extra handsome in that pic :smoochwink:

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks..... and thanks :)

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
hehe I KNOW lol.... His daddy sais he's out looken for French poodles when he wears his "flight suit" ... They're so fun... And thanks :) I think he's growing up real nice :)

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
I let Molly sunbath early mornings late evenings during summer. She absolutely loves it ! I never leave her alone though.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I usually let them go for maybe 10 minutes ... Cheli (frenchie) is great at self regulation, but Lambeau will stay out till he fries... so I monitor closey

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
why on earth would the breed who is most susceptible to heat,,, not have the 'whatever' to lug his self back into the cool... ;) Never ever even questioned one of my dogs not being able to regulate for herself... I've been real conscious (mostly) when Hank heads out by himself, and so far he has come back in in time, but it's getting hotter so glad to know that he just may not follow through...........

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
why on earth would the breed who is most susceptible to heat,,, not have the 'whatever' to lug his self back into the cool... ;) Never ever even questioned one of my dogs not being able to regulate for herself... I've been real conscious (mostly) when Hank heads out by himself, and so far he has come back in in time, but it's getting hotter so glad to know that he just may not follow through...........
We learned the hard way on a walk years ago with Tyson. He was exhausted and we knew it so we were trying to get him to stop, and rest. The boy kept trying to keep walking... until finally he collapsed in the grass. Luckily the guy who's yard he collapse in was outside and he ran to get him ice & water, while my husband ran to the house to get the truck. We got him cooled off and had to 2ppl lift him into the truck. It was one of the scariest days of life... I thought we were gonna lose him... but I focused on everything I knew and did it all accordingly... after about 20 mins of being home he was starting to stabilize but we had the truck ready to go to ER. The entire event was horrible... I've learned my lesson with his limits and knowing that he himself has no idea on when to stop. :(

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I had tried taking Hank to dog parks but............. he just doesn't stop! plus other dogs aren't real fond of him, but the biggie is that if he gets going, it's ridiculous to hold him down... even when he runs a hard 5 min he should stop and wont! Kind of rediculous to walk in and walk out 5 min later. Now, when no one else is there we're good, but I tell ya, the one time I couldn't catch him scared me to death!! I got him out of the fence and he immediately laid down. you must of about died!!
We learned the hard way on a walk years ago with Tyson. He was exhausted and we knew it so we were trying to get him to stop, and rest. The boy kept trying to keep walking... until finally he collapsed in the grass. Luckily the guy who's yard he collapse in was outside and he ran to get him ice & water, while my husband ran to the house to get the truck. We got him cooled off and had to 2ppl lift him into the truck. It was one of the scariest days of life... I thought we were gonna lose him... but I focused on everything I knew and did it all accordingly... after about 20 mins of being home he was starting to stabilize but we had the truck ready to go to ER. The entire event was horrible... I've learned my lesson with his limits and knowing that he himself has no idea on when to stop. :(

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I agree with the posters .... you have to limit their time outdoors to 10-15 minutes. I can only share with you my own experience with my EB. We took him to the Park for a walk. It was not hot out. The temps were only in the 70s, but it obviously was to warm for him, and he collapsed and suffered heat stroke. We had to rush home and put him in a cool bath to lower his temp. This was the scariest moment. So he stays indoors now in the warm weather and enjoys the AC.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my! you think that the excitement and the walking did it?? Hanks real active each day and trying to keep it that way so hopefully he will be more acclimated?? Oh these guys are scarry...
I agree with the posters .... you have to limit their time outdoors to 10-15 minutes. I can only share with you my own experience with my EB. We took him to the Park for a walk. It was not hot out. The temps were only in the 70s, but it obviously was to warm for him, and he collapsed and suffered heat stroke. We had to rush home and put him in a cool bath to lower his temp. This was the scariest moment. So he stays indoors now in the warm weather and enjoys the AC.

ParryTack

May 23, 2017
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Montegue
My little huy Monty (8 months) wants to go and go too. Its most difficult when we walk with friends who own jack russels, whippet mix, who FLY... Monty wants to keep up and will try until - well - I don’t let him, sometimes we cut it short and come back home while the others continue on. At first I thought he would stop when he was tired or hot but learned quickly that it was up to ME to monitor him. Your friends with other types of dogs will think you a little kookie but thats ok.

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My little huy Monty (8 months) wants to go and go too. Its most difficult when we walk with friends who own jack russels, whippet mix, who FLY... Monty wants to keep up and will try until - well - I don’t let him, sometimes we cut it short and come back home while the others continue on. At first I thought he would stop when he was tired or hot but learned quickly that it was up to ME to monitor him. Your friends with other types of dogs will think you a little kookie but thats ok.

Yep :) And come to find out, being a little "kookie" is okay by me. ;) These kids of ours are such goofballs , and well worth whatever we got to do to make them … Stay alive LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.