Whopper gets EPS today

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Hey everyone. Whopper goes for his elongated palate surgery today. I pick him up tomorrow. I hope it goes OK. Any advice to help him with healing and recovery? IMG_20170326_215604.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Aww, we just got done with that,,, as well as his naires and entropian surgery all together !! so, all went great I'm happy to say, and the hardest part is keeping them calm for 2 weeks!! .. We have a huge yard that is super play time for hank soooooo, what I had to do was take him out on a leash instead and let him do his potty thing. Him and a neighbor dog 'run the fence' so I couldn't let him back there by himself. Oh boy was he wound up aft his 2 quiet weeks, but!!! it's really extremely important to keep them quiet. I even had to keep my kids away(and even had son take his Chihuahua to his house) for that time as he gets too happy to see them... And, I had notes on my window saying"please do not knock on window or door or enter gate....Surgery patient inside."... it worked as I have ups that always knocked on window to alert me but I didn't want him to bark. Of course soft food I think for at least 4 days (hanks food is soft anyway) and I'm sure they'll send you a list ;) with all Hank had done, no "collar" was suggested and I was surprised he didn't poke at his eyes or anything... Best of luck to you... A little (ha!) stressful for us, but generally they do fine. just do keep him quiet so he doesn't swell

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Thanks for the advice. Whopper never gets very riled up and doesn't bark too much. So do I need to put his food in a blender? He normally eats taste of the wild and they are small kibbles. But he does not chew his food up. Ever. He just swallows it. Maybe I should just do rice and eggs for a week or two?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Yep, I would blend it :) and then soak it.... I have done that in the past... whats kind of funny is, the food we use (honest kitchen) is soft but I was worried about something rubbing on his stitches so even blended that... ;) Yep, I'm pretty sure they will say soft only... The thing with switching up to a soft (as in a change of food all together) that they're not used to could possibly cause tummy issues and then you'ld wonder if it was food/ surgery/ meds.... so I just figured this would not be the time to switch it up... (and I switch up all the time, and it was still a concern to me Just my thoughts :)

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Blending it up and adding a little water shouldn't give him diarea right?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=16981]versicolor[/MENTION] I want to wish Whopper the best of luck with his surgery! My two had nares and entropion,but palate was not needed. The worst part for them was two weeks in the cone! Lucky Whopper won't need a cone. Blending his food,and adding some water to soften is a good solution.

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Thanks so much for good wishes. So what made you all decide on the nares surgery. Whopper has some pretty narrow slits for nostrils but I just figured EPS would be sufficient enough. Too late to include it now as whopper is probably already done with surgery. Something I should consider for another day possibly? How do I determine if he needs this?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I would think that If he needed the nares done the vet would have suggested??? And even though I took hank in early, he didnt get done till the afternoon... If you even think you want to add that, you might give then a call and ask vet... better together so as they don't have to 'go under' more than needed. And Hank still didn't use the 'cone' he was a great patient. i'd give them a quick call to find that out though.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hope Whopper is doing fine! Castor felt queasy after his elongated palate surgery so he was on bland diet for a few days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey everyone. Whopper goes for his elongated palate surgery today. I pick him up tomorrow. I hope it goes OK. Any advice to help him with healing and recovery? View attachment 104930

Sorry I am late.... how is he doing?

Soft food for a about a week... rice or noodles with boiled ground beef or turkey. No running and be careful with a collar ... use a harness for any SHORT walks

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Hoping Whopper is doing well after his op. Monty was just fine after his, no problems at all and I am sure Whopper will be just the same!

OP
V

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
Looks like whopper is doing fine. They said he is sitting up in his cage and seems OK. I crushed up a bunch of his food and will probably add some water to it as I feed him. Maybe I will also mix it with some rice and eggs. Thanks for all of your well wishes and advice.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I'm so glad that part is done :) and Yes,, moisten, you want it soft like canned food I'm pretty sure... I know some say just soften the kibble but I would squish..and moist

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.