Placenta left in mom after c section???

Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
My sweet Diamond had a c section early this morning and her discharge papers said that she had a placenta left inside so they had given her oxytocin. I looked at the tech like she had three heads and asked if this was normal and if it'd hurt my girl. She said she'd deliver the placenta in a few days and that's why the oxy was given. Like, no big deal??? Have you heard of this? I'm in freak out mode! Thanks in advance!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I have never heard of this either? Did she not give you a reason why the Placenta was left inside? There is probably a good reason as to why it was left in, or she wouldn't have done it. I would have asked her why though. I would call the office back In the morning and ask the Vet.

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Her temp is 102.6. She has been in her nest (blankets) snuggling and feeding babies. She has ate well, drank and has been out to potty. I just called the vet and told the tech (not same as earlier) my concerns and asked her if she's heard of a placenta left during the section- I got a "ummm, ya I've heard of it and they probably left it for a reason but if you're concerned than bring her in". Should I be concerned I asked? Is her temperature okay? She said it was in normal range and she's eating and drinking. My gut tells me my girl is fine at the moment but, I don't want to risk anything with her. I also don't want to interrupt her peaceful sleep she's finally getting to overreact when the vet says she's okay. Advice?

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
I have never heard of this either? Did she not give you a reason why the Placenta was left inside? There is probably a good reason as to why it was left in, or she wouldn't have done it. I would have asked her why though. I would call the office back In the morning and ask the Vet.
The vet said it was kept because if removed they were afraid of hemorrhaging (sp).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My sweet Diamond had a c section early this morning and her discharge papers said that she had a placenta left inside so they had given her oxytocin. I looked at the tech like she had three heads and asked if this was normal and if it'd hurt my girl. She said she'd deliver the placenta in a few days and that's why the oxy was given. Like, no big deal??? Have you heard of this? I'm in freak out mode! Thanks in advance!!

Oxytocin is to clean her out as we say. It's an old method. Most of the time left overs comes out on it's own. Animals usually eat their placenta. Keep a close eye if anything comes out. It will be very dark in colourand keep an eye on her temperature. :)

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Oxytocin is to clean her out as we say. It's an old method. Most of the time left overs comes out on it's own. Animals usually eat their placenta. Keep a close eye if anything comes out. It will be very dark in colourand keep an eye on her temperature. :)

Thank you!!! How long could it take to come out?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In normal deliveries the placentas will come out in a couple of days. If they were still attached firmly it's better to leave them there instead of risking hemorrhagin. Did she get antibiotics?

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
The vet may have felt that some placentas were not ready to be released from the uterine wall, and could cause Subinvolution of the placental sites. Which can cause problems later on. Especially in scheduled C-sections.

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
In normal deliveries the placentas will come out in a couple of days. If they were still attached firmly it's better to leave them there instead of risking hemorrhagin. Did she get antibiotics?
Thank you!! No antibiotics but they said to make sure she's eating, drinking and nursing and those are signs she's okay. Which she is doing all of. Thank you for replying- every response telling me someone has heard of this and it was done for good reason helps me breathe :)

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
The vet may have felt that some placentas were not ready to be released from the uterine wall, and could cause Subinvolution of the placental sites. Which can cause problems later on. Especially in scheduled C-sections.

Thank you!! Your reply gives me ease!! I replied above about the antibiotics. Should I call the vet and ask for some to be given just in case? I trust my vet fully, I have just never heard of this. I personally had partial placenta left in me during an emergency cesarean section and I almost died- could be the reason behind my extreme worry. Thanks again!!

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
IMG_0594.JPG
On a more fun note....Look at my big boy and my small girl ❤️️ We had two baby runts in the same horn as the babies that passed away. Those two little girls are so lucky to be alive!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Beautiful Babies. So glad to hear Diamond is doing well. The vet must have had her reason, and maybe fear of hemorrhage was her reason, but if she's a good vet and you trust her, then you have to trust her reasons and instinct. Keep us posted on how she's doing, and keep sharing the puppy pics.

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Beautiful Babies. So glad to hear Diamond is doing well. The vet must have had her reason, and maybe fear of hemorrhage was her reason, but if she's a good vet and you trust her, then you have to trust her reasons and instinct. Keep us posted on how she's doing, and keep sharing the puppy pics.
I try to not question a professional but I feel I'm Diamonds voice so I try and be vigilant. My lack of sleep and emotions over the passed puppies are clouding my rational thoughts. You all have helped me with the reassurance and support!! I am forever grateful to you all. Now- PUPPIES!!IMG_0603.JPGIMG_0602.JPGIMG_0595.JPGIMG_0572.JPGIMG_0586.JPG

OP
C
Mar 17, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Diamonds temp is 101.6 :) Her perfect pre pregnant baseline :). I've added tums to her food for the calcium to help her uterus expel that placenta. Nap time for me- maybe :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.