Mattb1210

Mar 24, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Hi,
I'm pretty new to the world of Bulldogs.
We have a ten week old male. For the last two weeks he's had a cough. This turned into discharge from the nose.
He's on antibiotics for a suspected upper respiratory infections.
He's generally good in himself in that he plays when coaxed, eats like a machine and his ablutions are all good.
He's only been on the antibiotics for three days, but the issue seems to be good inhalation.
I've read about growth spurts allowing his trachea to catch up and the vet at the moment, (without x-rays) feels that he should be ok.
He is bringing mucus up which builds up when he's been laying down, (sleeps awfully).
When he brings the mucus up there appears to be food in it.
Initially we were giving him a small kibble which he was eating to fast. We then started soaking it, but still stuck. Now resorted to blending the small kibble into a paste. However he is still getting food in his trachea.
I'm really stuck on this.....will he grow out of it, or am I doing it completely wrong?
Any advice would be so much appreciated :)

Last edited:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Is his problem that he is eating too fast you think? They have slow feeder bowls you can look into. Another great thing to do is elevate his bowl. This helps the food go down easier and not get stuck. We feed elevated and its also better for posture so they aren't bent over so much.

Here are some examples of slow feed bowls, makes them work harder which in turn slows them down. The raised/elevated bowls are also worth a shot! He may have a palate issue, but at that age its still too young to tell. I would try these options to see if it helps any. Also the meds should help clear up that mucus.

If he gets into a coughing like choke up, squirt some lemon juice down his throat for some relief.

2934dc9aabfe1eeb8e9964d5251b7968.jpgp-74927-59195N (1).jpgSlow Feed.jpgSlow Feed.jpg

PS... If you dont want to spend money on the above you could always DIY - place something rather large in the center of his bowl, like a rock (be sure its an extra large that he can't eat) or a small weight that he has to work around. Also for elevation, use a box, or anything sturdy and place his bowl on top. You want it to be level with his throat/neck so he doesn't have to bend his neck much while eating.

OP
M

Mattb1210

Mar 24, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Thanks for the quick reply.
Seriously looking at the elevation and slow feeder bowls.
What I'm questioning is my blending of the food. It has slowed him down, but I'm thinking that it maybe to sticky to get past his throat. The trade off is that he brings the blended stuff up easier than the dry or soaked stuff.
With the drynor soaked, he doesn't chew. Woils it be better to get a larger kibble?

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for the quick reply.
Seriously looking at the elevation and slow feeder bowls.
What I'm questioning is my blending of the food. It has slowed him down, but I'm thinking that it maybe to sticky to get past his throat. The trade off is that he brings the blended stuff up easier than the dry or soaked stuff.
With the drynor soaked, he doesn't chew. Woils it be better to get a larger kibble?

You can moisten the kibble a bit at each feeding.... I don't think you need to blend. Don't switch the kibble just yet. You don't want to possibly start another problem by changing food. Work on this first and see if it helps any would be my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mattb1210

Mar 24, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Many thanks. I'll give it ago. I've elevated his food and I'm taking it away at intervals. Towards the end I'm putting puppy milk in so he has some fluids going down to help wash it down.
He's a lot better today. The flem has softened to a more transparent consistency, so hopefully the antibiotics are kicking in.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had this issue w/Willow, and I would just a couple of tablespoons of warm water to her kibble and let it sit for a few minutes. It didn't turn it into mush, but it slowed her down considerably.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had to do this to Banks... just enough water to make her 'lap' the food and not glup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mattb1210

Mar 24, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper
Thanks for the advice guys. Using an inhibitor in his bowl and enough water to lap the food. Also elevated the bowl. Seems to be working a treat.
His still on the antibiotics as it's a 10 day course.
Chest has cleared considerably and he's full of beans. Hopefully things are on the up and there won't be a reoccurrence.😊

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Is his problem that he is eating too fast you think? They have slow feeder bowls you can look into. Another great thing to do is elevate his bowl. This helps the food go down easier and not get stuck. We feed elevated and its also better for posture so they aren't bent over so much.

Here are some examples of slow feed bowls, makes them work harder which in turn slows them down. The raised/elevated bowls are also worth a shot! He may have a palate issue, but at that age its still too young to tell. I would try these options to see if it helps any. Also the meds should help clear up that mucus.

If he gets into a coughing like choke up, squirt some lemon juice down his throat for some relief.

View attachment 104798View attachment 104799View attachment 104800View attachment 104801

PS... If you dont want to spend money on the above you could always DIY - place something rather large in the center of his bowl, like a rock (be sure its an extra large that he can't eat) or a small weight that he has to work around. Also for elevation, use a box, or anything sturdy and place his bowl on top. You want it to be level with his throat/neck so he doesn't have to bend his neck much while eating.

Rosie uses the pink bowl on the end and Nelli also uses a bowl like the blue one , both work very well . A friend used a stone or brick in there bowl and it caused the dog after I guess the scent of the food got in or on it to start chewing the brick or stone and cause tooth damage and they had a hell of a time stopping the dog from picking up stones outside in the backyard because the dog related it too food . Rosie has a real food love and just eats so fast it is crazy the pink bowl really help slow her down big time .

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks for the advice guys. Using an inhibitor in his bowl and enough water to lap the food. Also elevated the bowl. Seems to be working a treat.
His still on the antibiotics as it's a 10 day course.
Chest has cleared considerably and he's full of beans. Hopefully things are on the up and there won't be a reoccurrence.
Wonderful update, so glad his energy levels are up and he's getting better!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.