Molly is getting spayed mom is terrified!

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Hi EBN
My Molly is going in to be spayed at the end of the week. She is 2yrs.old now and has had 4 heat cycles. I'm so nervous can you guys help me ask the right questions and maybe advice on what to look out for. I am bringing her home the night of the procedure. There will be no overnight staff at the vets and I don't want her alone. I hope I'm making the right decision for her I want her to be able to go to daycare to have friends and a place to be her crazy self. I am scared this will change her !

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Make sure this vet is a bully vet. That they have done a lot of English bulldog surgeries, and know the right anesthesia to use. Our vet will keep them over night to make sure everything is OK before they go home the next day. I think I would check around and find a good bully vet.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
From my experience with my 2 bulldogs being spayed, don't give the dog any food that night after she gets home, as she will just throw it up. Also, don't let her drink too much first night as that will cause her to throw up as well. Ask the vet when you pick her up whether you need to bring her back to get her stitches out later ( since my vet neglected to tell me that ). Both vets told me to keep an Elizabethan collar on the dog to prevent licking of stitches but both my dogs were unable to turn their head around to lick so I didn't bother. I don't think bullies can reach there because of their thick necks. Try to not let the dog play hard ( besides walks ) for the first 10 days. I would recommend some postop probiotics for a few days due to the dog getting a preop antibiotic.

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Thank you I will be sure to ask about the anesthesia What would that be ?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great advice above! Best one is for sure a bully vet!!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Thank you I will be sure to ask about the anesthesia What would that be ?
Propofol is the go-to GA unless something better has come along of which I'm not aware.

No food that evening...light breakfast...consider ice chips instead of or along with water
Ice would be soothing to an irritated throat

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
As long as your vet has experience with bulldogs all should be great! Just be sure they don't use ACE, bulldogs don't do well with that drug. Best of luck, and keep us posted on her progress!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Make sure this vet is a bully vet. That they have done a lot of English bulldog surgeries, and know the right anesthesia to use. Our vet will keep them over night to make sure everything is OK before they go home the next day. I think I would check around and find a good bully vet.

This ^^^

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
As long as you have a vet that you trust,and know he/she know bulldogs, all should be well. I have always had 4 0r 5 dogs at a time,mostly females,and never had a single problem,when it came to spaying.They will still be the same personality wise,as they were before. We will all say prayers for Molly-as an extra help!:pray2:

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You mean no food and minimal water postoperative same evening and light breakfast next morning. :)

Propofol is the go-to GA unless something better has come along of which I'm not aware.

No food that evening...light breakfast...consider ice chips instead of or along with water
Ice would be soothing to an irritated throat

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
You mean no food and minimal water postoperative same evening and light breakfast next morning. :)
Exactly!
If she misses a meal or 2 it won't hurt a thing. But, if the Vet says feed her as usual and let her drink all she wants then I'd be inclined to do what she recommends. If the surgery is in the early AM and she's active when she goes home then more food/water is probably fine. If surgery is in late afternoon then I'd wait til the next day to feed.

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Thank you so much everyone ! We just met with our vet she is really wonderful and molly is not her only bulldog she treats so I am confident molly is in good hands. She is aware of Ace and does not use that.Propofol is what she uses for GA. Molly is scheduled for 7:30 Tuesday the 28th. So next week I will be bringing her home that night but back to the vet in the am to check her stitches. We are fortunate that our vet is located 1 block from our home. Thank you in advance for all your support and prayers ! Idk why I'm so nervous just worried I guess lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much everyone ! We just met with our vet she is really wonderful and molly is not her only bulldog she treats so I am confident molly is in good hands. She is aware of Ace and does not use that.Propofol is what she uses for GA. Molly is scheduled for 7:30 Tuesday the 28th. So next week I will be bringing her home that night but back to the vet in the am to check her stitches. We are fortunate that our vet is located 1 block from our home. Thank you in advance for all your support and prayers ! Idk why I'm so nervous just worried I guess lol

Nervous ... because you love you baby girl! We will all be sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts

OP
Seline Weiskopff

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
I do its crazy but she is always by my side even when I don't realize I need her ! She's only 2 but has already given our family so much. I want to make sure I'm making the best decision for her ! Glad I'm back on EBN the support is incredible thank you so much !

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.