Bulldog Eyes

RayRay311

Jun 10, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty
Hey guys I've noticed my dogs eyes are building a lot of mucus around them lately. I know it is pollen season but just wanted to know if maybe anyone else has had this problem before or if it's a food issue maybe? Please help. I will be taking him to the vet but any advise you guys can give will really help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is clear or green/yellowish? if green/yellowish, he is getting an infection so it is best to have a vet check his eyes and get the right treatment

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If it's allergies, it could be either food or environmental or both. It's easier to treat the environmental by giving an antihistamine like cetirizine ( Zyrtec ) 0.5 mg/pound daily. I give 10mg once daily to my 35 pound dog since that's what a lot of humans take, but that's lower than recommended dose.

OP
R

RayRay311

Jun 10, 2015
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty
It's clear/greenish. Thank you both.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I don't think there's any over the counter antibiotic eye drops in USA. In Canada we have Polysporin eye drops. I guess you had better see vet just in case.

versicolor

Mar 20, 2017
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Whopper
I use optixcare with hyaluron eye lube. Couple drops a day in whoppers eyes and they stay nice and moist and clear with very minimal discharge.

- - - Updated - - -

I get it on amazon

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
is it grain free , wonder if there might be a change there , were not in allergy season here yet everything still frozen lol
have you changed any of your treats lately ? are they also grain free ?

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We are battling the same issue with our girl Wheezie..she is 4 and her eyes and skin have decided to give her fits..Oh the world of bullies and their parents.lol

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I don't think there's any over the counter antibiotic eye drops in USA. In Canada we have Polysporin eye drops. I guess you had better see vet just in case.

41c632405d5e571645bae3a4a1b8c0fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Those drops you listed aren't antibiotic eye drops, they are for redness in eyes and contain vasoconstrictors and antihistamines. I don't know if we can use those visine type drops in dogs, I would stick to artificial lubricants without preservative only, eg. Genteal drops . Actually I was reading there is an antibacterial antiviral eye drop that uses sodium hypochlorite called vetericyn ophthalmic gel for dogs, that doesn't need a rx, which is labelled for the care of irritated eyes caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi. so that might be a good one to try although I have no personal experience

41c632405d5e571645bae3a4a1b8c0fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.