a Hacking cough...throwing up some...?!?

sarge

Jan 22, 2011
Nashville
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge
Hey everyone. Sarge is sick. He done this last year in the same place where we live and we are starting to wonder if we've possibly found a reason why...

He starts by throwing up...some yellow and colored stuff...then just lays around and the next few days has a little bit of a hacking cough and occasionally throws up a while foam type stuff. He's done this a couple times now, and when i've taken him to the vet, the main thing they wanted to do was keep him hydrated...Which i've been giving him pedialyte in his water etc. They said it was pretty much something he'd have to ride out...

But here is the thing i'm wondering...it's that time of year again in TN where they start going wild with chemical sprays because people in our development are afraid of any bug that crawls by...
Sarge goes outside and likes to plant his nose in the ground (of course i try and stop him everytime)....
Question being...has anyone had any similar reactions with their dogs with (outdoor) pesticides. They want to spray inside our house to , but we refuse.

I would appreciate any tips/advice...I feel awful for Sarge.
His appetite is not good either...

Thank you~!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Not much help but I do have our yard sprayed every 3 months or so and have never had any problems with the boys. The company says their pesticieds are less potent than raid and once they dry they are pretty much good to go for the boys. Have lived here 4 1/2 years and always sprayed with no problems. We actually do have the inside done every year or so also. I hope your baby feels better! Seems very odd to reoccur like this.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say that if it's the same time each year then there is definitely a pattern starting to form. It could very well be an allergic reaction to the pesticides, or even something that is growing nearby that is starting to come into bloom. Who knows?? At least you know how to treat it now, and it would be interesting to see if it happens again at the same time next year! You might want to mention it to the vets next time you see them, or call them up now, and just ask their opinion if it could be related in some way.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Sorry no help here. But I'd mention it to your development or bring it up to the board there. Maybe even recommend some other brand of pesticides that are more pet friendly. Most likely other dogs in your area are experiencing the same problems and, if so, should be a concern that should sway the board in finding a solution.

Poor Sarge. Next time they spray, I would avoid the area and go somewhere else, like a park.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
most pesticides are fine once completely dry. But the same time of year, I agree with [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], an allergy or response to something else. I know my bully growing up had reactions to our lawn spray. This was back in the early 80's. My mom would rope off a section that they would not spray so Richard could go out and not get affected. He would get huge welts on his paws and chew on them all the time. He was allergic to grass also.....URGH.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I sure hope Sarge is feeling better soon.... keep us posted on what you learn. :pray:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Was he, by chance, around any other dogs?

The reason I ask is that my little one is just getting over kennel cough and experienced very similar symptoms.

OP
sarge

sarge

Jan 22, 2011
Nashville
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge
Thank you all so much for your advice and help...I will keep you updated on Sarges progress. He actually ate some yesterday, i put a little brown rice in his food and it made it more appealing.
He is still hacking here and there a bit. It almost is sounding like a bit of a phlegm? Possibly the allergy causing drainage etc.
If not completely better by this weekend, I will take him to the vet.

[MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] he has not been around other dogs except for our schnauzer...but one thing with where we live...every dog stops in our yard to use the bathroom..(everyones yards are part of the community, unfortunately)...is it possible to catch kennel cough like that??

Thanks again for taking the time to help out guys~!! me and Sarge appreciate it :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
If Sarge is doing a faceplant into the areas where other dogs are eliminating (or sniffing, sneezing, drooling) on your lawn, it is possible he picked up kennel cough.

My little guy (well, he's 10 months now) goes to day care, HAS been vaccinated for kennel cough, and picked it up anyway. It is VERY contagious.

The symptoms sound very, very similar to Sarge's. The coughing, the phlegm and then upset tummy is from all the coughing.

Some dogs with kennel cough get well on their own but others do not. I really didn't want to take a chance with Truman, especially since he was throwing up (mucous and then food) so we took him to the vet. She put him on a 10 day cycle of antibiotics - only about $22.

He was lethargic, depressed, coughing but has since perked up and is doing much, much better.

I would get him to the vet - these things can be worse before they get better - especially with snub nosed dogs.

Feel better Sarge!

OP
sarge

sarge

Jan 22, 2011
Nashville
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge
wow...it is sounding like that is what it is...sounds like he'll be making a trip to the Vet ...he has gotten better, but the cough is still there and definitely better to be safe than sorry ~!

what is the treatment that they use for kennel cough?

thanks guys!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Truman is on a 10 day cycle of antibiotics - I believe that is typical for treatment of kennel cough.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online