Yeasty wrinkles and tail pocket... best food?

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
My bully is eating grain free Earthborn Holistic and until recently she seemed fine. I have tried EVERYTHING I know to control the yeast.... wipes from the vet, baby wipes, cholrohex wipes, apple cider vinegar, witch hazel...

has anyone found a food food or another option that has helped?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I dont believe there is any magic food out there for yeast issues. It's plain maintenance. Nyala is 18 months old, been on home cooking since she was 5 months old. Yes all home cooked, treats are real dry liver, duck, salmon etc. So she's been eating all natural. She's been on Honest Kitchen for a couple months now. And yet, she still has a tail pocket issue for a year. Nyala eats clean. See there is "no" food that will fix that. My maintenance is clean her tail every 2 days. That is the max she can go. I use a mixture of essential oils and it work great!!! I use the same oil for her ears. All about maintenance. :yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
QUOTE=jessica989;694145]What essential oil mix do you use for the tail pocket?[/QUOTE]

Ive been doing oils for so long. It's been around for over 6000yrs. I have a thread on mixes n some members added their mix. I use this one from one of our members. Goes like this.....oh n my husband had an earache, I gave him Nyala's mix he was fine next day...lol

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop. Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae Fractionated *Coconut Oil* to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Here is the link if you want more info on other mixes..

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I have a 3 step process for one of my dogs with yeasty wrinkles: Curaseb shampoo ( contains anti fungal and antiseptic ) on a wet cosmetic pad, followed by a plain wet cosmetic pad ,followed by a dry cosmetic pad . I'm sure you could wash tail pocket with same shampoo and wash off with water ( I don't think you need to dry there ), but my dogs don't have tail pocket issues so I just wipe with a hypoallergenic baby wipe after a poo.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have a 3 step process for one of my dogs with yeasty wrinkles: Curaseb shampoo ( contains anti fungal and antiseptic ) on a wet cosmetic pad, followed by a plain wet cosmetic pad ,followed by a dry cosmetic pad . I'm sure you could we shampoo and wash off with water ( I don't think you need to dry there ), but my dogs don't have tail pocket issues so I just wipe with a hypoallergenic baby wipe after a poo.

Tail pocket "has" to stay dry. Its moisture that causes tail pocket issues. I wouldn't even suggest to use a cotton pad as if a fluff stays in there, it will stay moist. Tail pocket is extremely tight. Nyala's is like vacuum sealed on her backside. You cant have thick construction type of hands to clean in there as you can do more damage than anything else....i always use gloves, unsented baby wipes, dip the baby wipe in the mixture of oil, clean as deep as you can go and make sure there is no hair left on the baby wipe. There is dog hair in there thar falls off and that stays moist which causes them to get issues. Its a little work but saves big vet bills.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Neither of my two bulldogs have a tail pocket so I didn't realize you had to keep dry, but I'm sure that your thorough maintenance is great at preventing vet visits !!!! I read in another forum that if pocket is really sore to put a drop of malaseb or curaseb shampoo in a spray bottle with some warm water, spray the tail pocket area a few times to flush it clean, ( apparently a lot of gunk will come out !!! ), let it sit a few minutes, wipe dry with a paper towel, and then an hour later apply some cream eg. silver sulfadiazine or polysporin cream if it's infected, or desitin if it's not. Do this daily for a couple of weeks. After that flush weekly as a maintenance and in between clean every day with a regular wipe or malacetic or malaseb wipe and then dry,

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online