Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Ever tried Glandex supplement or Metamucil for anal gland issues? Glandex gets good reviews on Amazon and Metamucil is very inexpensive. You could also switch from Fromm to a high fibre dog food like Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient which has 6.2% fibre compared to 3.9% for Fromm, but like most limited ingredient dry dog foods it isn't rated that highly.

OP
ddnene

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ever tried Glandex supplement or Metamucil for anal gland issues? Glandex gets good reviews on Amazon and Metamucil is very inexpensive. You could also switch from Fromm to a high fibre dog food like Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient which has 6.2% fibre compared to 3.9% for Fromm, but like most limited ingredient dry dog foods it isn't rated that highly.

No I actually haven't... do you think that would help? About every 2 to 3 months we have to get them drained... and it's not bad enough to warrant removal. He's just absolutely miserable and I feel bad for him.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Its definitely worth investing in a bottle of generic Metamucil ( psyllium ), or Benefibre ( inulin ) or maybe even trying a tablespoon of freshly ground flaxseed once or twice daily added to the food. None of these will break the bank. I've never tried Glandex, just read about it on amazon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Walmart has their own brand of "metamucil". Just plain and cheaper than Meta. Hoping Wallly will feel better It's worth a try-but you'll have to get the glands expressed and then start it. [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] Love you TyTy-call a toe truck!!!!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I was just thinking that the ground flaxseed is the healthiest one if it will work, but will add some calories so take that into account. Store the flaxseed in the fridge and grind right before use.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
He's acting better, but I can't get a good look at it unless I put on his muzzle. Between that and the anals, he's just a mess... hopefully going to see the vet here soon. I hope Tyson feels better, they have never lanced Wally's before. They would just go away...

He got wrapped (cleaned & dosed in ointment) & on antibiotics for 2 weeks....

fa836bee2c573bda23a8eb7d5e04c173.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Get well WallyGator, Praying for you Sweet Honey to get over this cyst and anal problems. I Love You Mr. Gator. Praying for You also Mr. Tyson to get well from your cyst. We Love You.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Black salve is a drawing agent. You would have to wrap it.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He got wrapped (cleaned & dosed in ointment) & on antibiotics for 2 weeks....

fa836bee2c573bda23a8eb7d5e04c173.jpg

Poor guy but what an elegant little foot! Does he accept the bandage?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor guy but what an elegant little foot! Does he accept the bandage?

He doesn't care for it but accepts it, lol he looks at it like "what the heck" but doesn't mess with it :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I would guess it's quite smelly if it's tar ointment? Would be interested too in hearing if anyone has used tar ointment on bulldogs.

Ive used black salve once on Tysons Paw because he had a splinter I couldn't get out. I applied ointment (yes it stinks) wrapped it and the next day when I took the wrapping off the splinter have surfaced where I could pull it out! That has been the only time I've used it.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I also noticed other remedies on a horse site, not sure if they could be used on interdigital cysts- ie. EquiSilver Equine Wound Silver Spray and Banixx spray . Has anyone on this forum tried them?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.