General Question Tug-o-War cause underbite?

Tabitha13

Nov 13, 2016
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Merciless
Hello all!

I'm fairly new here. Just hanging in the background reading all of the helpful information given. :)
I do have a question, it may be dumb, but just wondering.......
I got an English Bully (Merciless) he's 6 months old and he loves to play Tug of War. Sometimes he'll fall asleep still holding on! Anyway, I know that the under-bite in Bully's are genetic but can playing Tug of War make it worse? I just don't want to cause an significant damage or harm.

Thank you in advance for any input!
merc1.jpg

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I don't think it would make it worse. I personally don't like playing tug of war with mine because it crosses the boundary between alpha and friend. Also it encourages him to shake his toys in our face.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I used to play TOW with my bullies until one got my thumb between their top teeth and the tug. Lacey had no idea why I was yelling and thought it was just part of the game. She just bit down harder. I lost the TOW and the skin off the top of my thumb knuckle. I avoided surgery but it took months to heal. That was enough for me. Not a particularly good idea.
It won't cause under bite as far I know.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Tug of war will not affect his bite, but as @oscarmayer said-it could affect you! I don't think it's a good idea to play that with a young pup,it may make him more aggressive,and hard to take something away from him, that he shouldn't have! Throw the ball for him! When he is older,and knows the rules,you might occasionally play it. [MENTION=16538]Tabitha13[/MENTION] :yes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN!

As others have stated... it will not impact the under bite at all, but you have to be sure of alpha/friend and YOU must always win with tug of war if you choose to play that came. We do play with our guy, but he knows when we say "DROP" or 'LEAVE IT" we mean it. Once you have that command with them, you can play but until then I would not recommend as they can easily believe they are alpha over you due to winning tug of war.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
All our guys suck Me into playing tug the rope , we have four at present , they all latch on I let go and away they go they love it and i can go back to whatever i was doing .

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
TOW is Wally's favorite game, and I try to get toys that extremely LONG so my fingers don't end up in the mix. You have to be careful because aggression can get stirred up in that game.

As far as I know it doesn't effect an underbite, dogs either have one or they don't...

OP
T

Tabitha13

Nov 13, 2016
Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Merciless
Thanks all! I did not even think about the alpha dog thing. For the most part we have the "DROP IT" command down but sometimes he gets all riled up and that stubborn bully shows through. That's when we stop playing and have a time out from playing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all! I did not even think about the alpha dog thing. For the most part we have the "DROP IT" command down but sometimes he gets all riled up and that stubborn bully shows through. That's when we stop playing and have a time out from playing.

Perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.