Gurgling Stomach and No interest in eating

TimPiro

Sep 14, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Hi Everyone!

Recently my EB Bowser has had really loud stomach gurgling in the morning, followed by a lack of interest in eating. He will eat, but grazes instead of eating it all in one sitting. He also seems to have a lot of phlegm and constantly tries to cough it up in the morning. What could be his problem?

My first thought is that recently my father has begun watching him during the day... my father loves onions and garlic and has a tendency to drop food... could Bowser be eating some of the dropped food and getting an upset stomach? the phlegm makes me think it's more than this... can anyone help me out?

he eats blue buffalo taste of wild - duck
which has solved other problems he's had, but maybe is now causing this one?

He's also 1.5 years old

Please let me know! and thanks in advance!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Lemon juice -give him a squirt to break up phlegm. Listen to his chest-if it's in his breathing-he may have a cold-need the vet. Onions are very bad for dogs-tell your Dad. I know that if any of my dogs don't want to eat-they would go to the vet! You could get some famitodine 20 mg. and see if that settles his stomach.

OP
T

TimPiro

Sep 14, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thank you for the reply. I will try the lemon juice.

I should also clarify that it's not entire onions or garlic, but my father is careless and may let a tiny tiny tiny piece fall to the floor unaware. I've yelled at him countless times! This too could also just be a fabrication of my worrying mind.

OP
T

TimPiro

Sep 14, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
I should also clarify that he is eating. but instead of eating all of the food right away and being excited, he will eat a little, then go about his day and finish the rest at a new slower pace.

Is this a concern? or has he just become a grazer? It almost seems like he isn't excited for the food anymore... kinda of like hes thinking "ugh not this again!"

Please let me know.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I should also clarify that he is eating. but instead of eating all of the food right away and being excited, he will eat a little, then go about his day and finish the rest at a new slower pace.

Is this a concern? or has he just become a grazer? It almost seems like he isn't excited for the food anymore... kinda of like hes thinking "ugh not this again!"

Please let me know.

How much are you feeding at each meal? At 1.5 yrs old, he only need 1 cup of food 2x a day

Does he have any vomit or runny poo?

BethD

Oct 18, 2016
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosco
I'm not sure where you live but in south Texas we're ALL battling allergies. Rosco had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago, sneezing, cough, phlegm, and less eating. Well maybe not less just didn't inhale it like usual. I did lemon juice like they've recommended and watched him closely. He was over it in about a week maybe week and a half. I assumed it was a cold he got from weather change or allergies(he seems to have a lot of environmental ones) turned into a cold.

How long has bowser been doing this?

Maybe if you try others suggestions and he doesn't get better in a couple of days take him in to see the vet.

Good Luck, hope he gets to feeling better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Allergies are bad right now, so the phlegm is probably from that, so I would not be too concerned with it. If you are feeding him once a day, I would suggest twice a day. Plus the upset tummy could be from the dropped food. Onions are not good for dogs, plus too much garlic isn't that good either.

OP
T

TimPiro

Sep 14, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Thank You all for the responses.

The only vomit Bowser has is when he seems to be trying to hack up phlegm. and his poop is a mix, sometimes runny sometimes solid... but he has been like that forever.

Today there was no gurgling, only phlegm so I tried the lemon juice and he then threw up a big glob of phlegm and then proceeded to eat all of his food in one sitting... I'm guessing that is a good sign?

I feed him 1.25 - 1.5 cups twice a day.

I also live in Connecticut where it has been 70 degrees one day and 30 the next... so maybe the weather is causing his phlegm.

He seemed in better spirits today, so I am not as worried... I'm thinking he may have eaten something that upset him and now he's also dealing with the phlegm from the crazy weather... at-least I hope that this hypothesis is correct!

Thank you again everyone for the great insight. I'll post an update again with results! I'll even try to get a picture of Bowser to share!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank You all for the responses.

The only vomit Bowser has is when he seems to be trying to hack up phlegm. and his poop is a mix, sometimes runny sometimes solid... but he has been like that forever.

Today there was no gurgling, only phlegm so I tried the lemon juice and he then threw up a big glob of phlegm and then proceeded to eat all of his food in one sitting... I'm guessing that is a good sign?

I feed him 1.25 - 1.5 cups twice a day.

I also live in Connecticut where it has been 70 degrees one day and 30 the next... so maybe the weather is causing his phlegm.

He seemed in better spirits today, so I am not as worried... I'm thinking he may have eaten something that upset him and now he's also dealing with the phlegm from the crazy weather... at-least I hope that this hypothesis is correct!

Thank you again everyone for the great insight. I'll post an update again with results! I'll even try to get a picture of Bowser to share!

A lot of what you mention can be from allergies/weather related... I would cut his food back to 1 cup 2x a day and see if you get more consistent poo from him. try giving a benedryl in the morning when the weather is warmer 1mg per pound of dog 2x a day. My 55lb boy get two 25mg pills twice a day in the spring and fall... summer is as needed

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.