I opted for surgery, do you think I'm doing the right thing?

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I took Ida to the vet today because her "tear-stains" are driving me nuts! I have done EVERYTHING to get rid of them, and they just get worse. So I took her in to see if she needed an anti-biotic or something. Someone had mentioned Panalog ointment, which I don't have on hand. So I thought I'd see about getting some of that. Well my vet (who I TOTALLY trust) says she needs entropion surgery on both eyes. He ask if she scratches at her eyes or rubs her face on the carpet, which she doesn't do. He said they are in need of correction, but just barely. He said the irretation to her eyes is causing the bad tear stains and he thinks she'd benefit from the surgery, but it wasn't an absolute MUST. He said he thinks it's bothering me more than it's bothering Ida. But the thoughts of always feeling like you have "something" in your eye? That CAN'T feel good. So I went ahead and scheduled her surgery on the same day Arrow is getting neutered. We"ll just make one trip and have one worked on one end, the other end on the other.;) He sort of left it up to me. He did say it won't improve or go away without the surgery. So I'm doing it. Is this the right decision?

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
To be honest, I think along the lines of it being cosmetic surgery for the dog, since the vet said its up to you and it would be minimal change to the dog. I would worry about the danger of the surgery itself. I wish you the best and hope it all goes well...

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
Do you have any pictures? The risk of putting your bully to sleep is it worth it, there is no guarantee that the tear stains will disappear. Many Bullies with normal eyes have tears stains. Are the lashes turning in on the eyes, did they do a corneal stain test that showed damage? Just some food for thought.

OP
G

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't think it's "cosmetic", it will help her eyes feel better, and the bonus will be less staining. At least that's how I understood it. I would never do anything to endanger her unnecessarily. I have to go in on Fri. to get a pre-surgury appt. on Arrow, so I'll talk to my vet again and just make sure I'm understanding him correctly. If he thinks it doesn't need to be done, I don't think he would have suggested it. This is sooo stressful!! I just want to do what's best for Ida.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I wouldn't call is cosmetic either. I'd have the surgery done on myself if my eyelashes were turned in and irritating my eyes. If left untreated, it could cause damage. Atleast that's what someone told me about O.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I really think you should try a grain free chicken/turkey free diet for one month to see if that helps her eyes. I personally think she just has allergies by seeing her photos. This would cause those eyelids to roll inward from the swelling. And if it is allergies like I suspect, then you are only treating the symptom and not the problem. She will still have watery eyes regardless of the surgery. I think she needs allergy meds myself and a switch in food. Then if that does not make her more comfortable, go for the surgery.

I just don't really like how it was an "up to you" scenario. If she NEEDED it, he surely would have made that clear.

L

Lucy-licious

"its up to you" surgery on a bully sounds somehow not right.
I feel your vet is being ellusive. If she needs the surgery then yes fair enough but it sounds like your vet isnt convinced. We will all do everything to help our babies and that includes the stress of surgery...if necessary.
I would personally go with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggestion for now and try the new food maybe even ask the vet for an allergy shot, and see how she gets on.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=881]Gertie's Mom[/MENTION], When I switched Vegas to a grain free, gluten free, chicken and turkey free food, (Nature's Variety Instinct, Salmon) and he started getting allergy shots every 4-5 weeks it made a huge difference in his tear stains, I still have to battle with them but NOTHING like before, but I also have a huge grapefruit tree in my back yard that is flowering and not only affecting his eyes and allergies but mine as well. My opinion, is to try what desertskybulldogs said and go from there. The shots make a huge difference in his redness and itching.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I agree with Desertsky also, what can waiting a month or so do at this point anyhow right? You poor thing, it would be so much easier if the vet did say she needs it now. Making these decisions is SO hard! What food are you feeding now anyhow?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree with [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] as well - 110%.

I would use surgery as the last option before trying everything else, especially since you haven't really explored the allergy issue.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
That is a tough decision. I hope everything works out! I understand about the tear stains they drive me CRAZY!!! I was planning on taking Silva in as well to get the panalog ointment after hearing it from another topic.! Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online