My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
We took Elmo to his Vet and he has to loose weight, he is really Fluffy, I do not call him fat, he is Fluffy. The Vet wants to put him on Science Diet Metabolic, this has corn and corn gluten in it. He has been on Fromm for soon to be 4 years. Should I switch him to this for him to loose weight? I need advise on what to do for my Elmo Boy. Thank You, Love and Hugs To All Of You and Your Beautiful Bullies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my.... no science diet crap.

Just cut his kibble by 1/4 and add green beans in place of the cut kibble
So instead of 1 cup of kibble do 3/4 cup with 1/4 cup green beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree, just cut back on his food by a 1/4 cup or so, and in a few months, he should be looking better.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Good advice above. I did that with Monty and even though it took a while, he lost weight and he was still on a good food. He is still eating that amount otherwise he packs it on again. Stay away from the SD rubbish!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Agree with the whole gang here, NO to Science diet! Keep him on current Fromms, just cut back, add some green beans :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
No to any diet food. I have no idea how the manufacturers of that s**t sleep at night. Raw food would be the best, since carbs ar not necessary to dogs unless they're very active working dogs. Since you feed Fromm the best thing is like the others have stated cut back the food and add something that really goes through their digestive system unharmed, like whole beans or carrots.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
All of the above. You will notice a slight difference in about 3 weeks. Weight loss in 3 months or less and it will be gradual.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
We took Elmo to his Vet and he has to loose weight, he is really Fluffy, I do not call him fat, he is Fluffy. The Vet wants to put him on Science Diet Metabolic, this has corn and corn gluten in it. He has been on Fromm for soon to be 4 years. Should I switch him to this for him to loose weight? I need advise on what to do for my Elmo Boy. Thank You, Love and Hugs To All Of You and Your Beautiful Bullies.
"fluffy" :sarcastic::goodone::2thumbs::heartsign:

OP
My Otis

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo gets 3/4 cup of Fromm Dry Food with Canidae canned food mixed in. Thank You So Much For Every one's Advice. We will not give Elmo Science Diet, or Diet Food, Elmo will stay on his regular food with green beans.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Elmo gets 3/4 cup of Fromm Dry Food with Canidae canned food mixed in. Thank You So Much For Every one's Advice. We will not give Elmo Science Diet, or Diet Food, Elmo will stay on his regular food with green beans.
So, I would like to add a wet food in w/Bass' kibble (Fromm P&P) would you recommend we go with Canidae? Not a lot of places offer Fromm wet food around here…the lady at a pet boutique a few towns over suggested Stella and Chewy's however, I'm concerned w/that brand because of the last two recalls and the severe sickness it caused…I add in egg and yogurt, but he could still use a few pounds to pack on because his metabolism is so high and another pet food store owner said we should really consider mixing up his brands of food to keep his interest...

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've been given great advice by everybody, and I was also going to suggest reducing the kibble by 1/3 cup and adding green beans. I sometimes do this with Blossom and Dozer during the winter months when they are less active and not outside as much, but only if I see they are starting to put on a few pounds. They usually weigh around 40 to 43 lbs, but during the winter they can be 3 to 5 lbs heavier sometimes. They are okay in the summer, because we go on more walks and we stay out longer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 125

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So, I would like to add a wet food in w/Bass' kibble (Fromm P&P) would you recommend we go with Canidae? Not a lot of places offer Fromm wet food around here…the lady at a pet boutique a few towns over suggested Stella and Chewy's however, I'm concerned w/that brand because of the last two recalls and the severe sickness it caused…I add in egg and yogurt, but he could still use a few pounds to pack on because his metabolism is so high and another pet food store owner said we should really consider mixing up his brands of food to keep his interest...

Do not mess with what is not broken! Just up his kibble amount till he is at the weight you want

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Do mess with what is not broken! Just up his kibble amount till he is at the weight you want

Totally agree, I've personally learned my lesson with that! Up the kibble instead :) Especially if he's content.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yes, I will (and have been for a while) we added in between 1/2 to 1 cup more a day…he just can't seem to put on more weight. It's not even so much what he weighs, he's at a pretty good weight for his size and age, I would just like to see him a little thicker below his ribcage. He's all muscle with the thinnest little waist (wish I had that problem) ;)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Yes, I will (and have been for a while) we added in between 1/2 to 1 cup more a day…he just can't seem to put on more weight. It's not even so much what he weighs, he's at a pretty good weight for his size and age, I would just like to see him a little thicker below his ribcage. He's all muscle with the thinnest little waist (wish I had that problem) ;)

MEEE TOOOO!! Seabass!! - Ellie too has a TINY waist, and sometimes you can see her frame, she is SOOOO lean...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online