Other Overheating!!!!

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Here is a reminder about our bully babies overheating, it can happen faster than you expect. The weather is warming up! I will admit we had two close calls with Canelo. The first when I got a new 4Runner in 2015, we ended up in the vet ER with an overnight stay with IV fluids and an oxygen crate. The second in that dang 4Runner again and the A/C couldn't cool well enough last year. We turned around immediately, got him home, hosed down with cold water, got him on his cool mat, in front of his fan. Yes he has his own fan.

It can happen extremely fast, so now in the 4Runner I have a remote thermostat in which I can monitor while driving. If we are taking Nelo somewhere I start the 4Runner and cool it off, he can't enter the vehicle until the temp is 75F or under. Husband makes fun of me because I have a water bowl, water, his cooling mat, a 6" clip fan I turn on pointed at Nelo. We are in Texas, Houston area so it gets hot and humid.

I use to run him around in my 2004 Tundra but haven't because of its age. He did so much better there so I'm thinking about trading the 4Runner for another double cab truck. I believe the difference is Nelo had four air vents in the back I could point on him in the Tundra, the 4Runner only has two.

So bottom line watch your bully as it warms up for their face turning red, tongue turning purple, extreme panting, lots of water consumption. Cooling mats are amazing. Nelo lays on his in while riding and loves it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great reminder!!!

I have a minivan and always make sure the back vents are open and on high when the boys are in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
yeah, i know i'm not crazy taking these same precautions. i dont care what DH or anyone thinks.

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
yeah, i know i'm not crazy taking these same precautions. i dont care what DH or anyone thinks.

Oh you are not alone. I hate to admit this but DH and I have had battles about this. I'm saying and admitting this for new bully owners, bullies are so sensitive we nicknamed Canelo Mr. Silk. I've had Nelo in a car at 65F and he was panting and he was hot, they are so sensitive!!!! DH laughs at me for my safety checklist. But it has kept Nelo comfortable, alive, and happy. DH told me once I loved Nelo more than him and I said yes I do, lol!!!!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Here is a reminder about our bully babies overheating, it can happen faster than you expect. The weather is warming up! I will admit we had two close calls with Canelo. The first when I got a new 4Runner in 2015, we ended up in the vet ER with an overnight stay with IV fluids and an oxygen crate. The second in that dang 4Runner again and the A/C couldn't cool well enough last year. We turned around immediately, got him home, hosed down with cold water, got him on his cool mat, in front of his fan. Yes he has his own fan.

It can happen extremely fast, so now in the 4Runner I have a remote thermostat in which I can monitor while driving. If we are taking Nelo somewhere I start the 4Runner and cool it off, he can't enter the vehicle until the temp is 75F or under. Husband makes fun of me because I have a water bowl, water, his cooling mat, a 6" clip fan I turn on pointed at Nelo. We are in Texas, Houston area so it gets hot and humid.

I use to run him around in my 2004 Tundra but haven't because of its age. He did so much better there so I'm thinking about trading the 4Runner for another double cab truck. I believe the difference is Nelo had four air vents in the back I could point on him in the Tundra, the 4Runner only has two.

So bottom line watch your bully as it warms up for their face turning red, tongue turning purple, extreme panting, lots of water consumption. Cooling mats are amazing. Nelo lays on his in while riding and loves it.

You sound like me [emoji23][emoji13]When I got a new car a few years back one of my non-negotiable features was rear air vents! I also have a clip on fan for each dog....and water and ice. You should get a cooling towel for him to keep in the car if he overheats quickly. I got a few from Costco and They were relatively cheap -- I think $12 for a 2 pack. You can store a dry one in the car and if he gets hot you soak it with water, wring it out, and then snap it and it's instantly cold. It has multiple layers and cools instantly with air transfer or something like that, but they totally work. Have been a life saver for us after a crazy play session when the temperature outside got hotter than expected.

11492136bec8f354e97cbd555d6b4997.jpg

I just pulled that pic from online but those are he ones we got. Love them!

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
You sound like me [emoji23][emoji13]When I got a new car s few years back boy of my non-negotiable features was rear air vents! I also have a clip on fan for each dog....and water and ice. You should get a cooking towel for him to keep in the car if he overheats quickly. I got a few from Costco and They were relatively cheap -- I think $12 for a 2 pack. You can store a dry one in the car and if he gets hot you soak it with water, wring it out, and then snap it and it's instantly cold. It has multiple layers and cools instantly with air transfer or something like that, but they totally work. Have been a life saver for us after a crazy play session when the temperature outside got hotter than expected.

11492136bec8f354e97cbd555d6b4997.jpg

I just pulled that pic from online but those are he ones we got. Love them!

Oh this is a fantastic idea. I am definitely getting these. I didn't know about these. Thanks for sharing these.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
p.s. Please excuse my atrocious typos that have now been fixed -- I swear autocorrect is out to make me look dumb haha or ya know operator error with the keyboard

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I love the info you can get here... Thanks for this! great thing to pack with you when yu go anywhere! THANKS!

rbourque314

Jun 25, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lincoln
I am getting ready for Linc's first summer here in Phoenix as a big boy, since last summer I had gotten him in July as a 11 week old pup. We are enjoying the cool temps. in Phoenix now before the longgg hot summer :evil:

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I am getting ready for Linc's first summer here in Phoenix as a big boy, since last summer I had gotten him in July as a 11 week old pup. We are enjoying the cool temps. in Phoenix now before the longgg hot summer :evil:

Florida (Tampa Bay) is brutal in the summer, about 6 months of 90 degree weather and deadly humidity. Poor Daphne will be housebound or we'll take her to the park where you can walk in the shallow water of the estuary.

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters
Ugh.....we don't normally have temps oF EIGHTY EIGHT in MARCH like we did today....I HATE that our babies are ALREADY at risk of overheating so EARLY in the year !!! :fie: A NEW problem we have is that Sophie now likes to sunbathe in the DIRECT sun---she didn't used to do this, so yesterday, when I forced her to go inside SEVERAL times, I was a bit panicked about her doing this when we're not home. Meaty also loves to
be out in the warmth, but at LEAST, he lays in the shade. But of course, we still make them come inside after a few minutes!

I'm so curious what others do when it gets so hot, and you're not home to watch them? Since we have a doggie door, my plan for the days hubbs and I will be gone is to just
lock the doggie door and put potty pads all over the house. It's the only thing I can think of to
keep them 100% safe! Thankfully, I'm NOT gone all day most days! But as I said---I wonder
what people do who work long hours, and don't have a friend or neighbor to let them out to potty?

--

TooTooMommy

Jun 17, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meaty, Sophie, & sometimes fosters

UGH! I know what you mean! When we FIRST got Meaty, I had to keeeeep explaining to people how EASILY he could overheat. I could tell by some of their reactions that SOME family and friends just thought I was
being overly dramatic! :evil: Nope, I would always tell them they could google ANY website to confirm that I was NOT just saying this to be a drama queen!

By the way, we've always been VERY cautious as soon as it hits 80 degrees.....but as y'all probably know, they can even overheat at SEVENTY! Ugh, then you add FULL SUNSHINE, and it's just horri-bull!

I have to admit, since losing our precious elderly guy in December, (NOT related to heat stroke!!!!)----I
know it has kinda traumatized me, so I am WAY MORE anxious about hot days than I used to be. I just cannot bare to think of losing one of our babies so soon, and as I said before, we do NOT usually have temps of EIGHTY EIGHT in March.....I was NOT prepared for this at all !!!!! I thought we had until at least JUNE before we had to really worry about heat stroke!

Thank you to whoever's reading this far---LOL----I didn't mean to write a NOVEL! :D It is so wonder-bull
to have sites like this to learn / vent/ support eachother! (( hugs )) to everybully who's dreading these
dangeroussss hot days for our babies !!! :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When not home.. the dog door is locked and the boys are crated to keep them cool and safe -- most they are crated is 9 hours if our pet sitter is not scheduled

OP
Canelospeeps

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I work from home and Canelo goes outside often but when it's really hot, to me 75 or above, I let him out but check on him every 15 mins. He will go work on his tan (sunbathe). If he's panting he has to come inside. I check his face for redness, his tongue, his ears and nose for whether they are hot to the touch. I keep his little fan on in front of his tile and cooling mat, and I have a huge bowl of water for him.

Canelo working on his tan. The house was pressure washed this day, that's why his couch is moved lol.
c9109f279aca61f0d8ab0819eb7bb73e.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online