Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overheating!!!!

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meaty, Sophie, Professor
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Overheating!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    yeah, i know i'm not crazy taking these same precautions. i dont care what DH or anyone thinks.
    UGH! I know what you mean! When we FIRST got Meaty, I had to keeeeep explaining to people how EASILY he could overheat. I could tell by some of their reactions that SOME family and friends just thought I was
    being overly dramatic! Nope, I would always tell them they could google ANY website to confirm that I was NOT just saying this to be a drama queen!

By the way, we've always been VERY cautious as soon as it hits 80 degrees.....but as y'all probably know, they can even overheat at SEVENTY! Ugh, then you add FULL SUNSHINE, and it's just horri-bull!

I have to admit, since losing our precious elderly guy in December, (NOT related to heat stroke!!!!)----I
    know it has kinda traumatized me, so I am WAY MORE anxious about hot days than I used to be. I just cannot bare to think of losing one of our babies so soon, and as I said before, we do NOT usually have temps of EIGHTY EIGHT in March.....I was NOT prepared for this at all !!!!! I thought we had until at least JUNE before we had to really worry about heat stroke!

Thank you to whoever's reading this far---LOL----I didn't mean to write a NOVEL! It is so wonder-bull
    to have sites like this to learn / vent/ support eachother! (( hugs )) to everybully who's dreading these
    dangeroussss hot days for our babies !!!

2. Likes Vikinggirl, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

When not home.. the dog door is locked and the boys are crated to keep them cool and safe -- most they are crated is 9 hours if our pet sitter is not scheduled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes TooTooMommy liked this post
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

I work from home and Canelo goes outside often but when it's really hot, to me 75 or above, I let him out but check on him every 15 mins. He will go work on his tan (sunbathe). If he's panting he has to come inside. I check his face for redness, his tongue, his ears and nose for whether they are hot to the touch. I keep his little fan on in front of his tile and cooling mat, and I have a huge bowl of water for him.

Canelo working on his tan. The house was pressure washed this day, that's why his couch is moved lol.

6. Likes 2BullyMama, TooTooMommy liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hampton and Gigi
    Likes (Received)

Is there a brand that any of you prefer for a cooling mat?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Canelo
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenOJ View Post
    Is there a brand that any of you prefer for a cooling mat?

Here is what Canelo uses. I got him the biggest. We lay it on the tile in front of his personal fan and when we travel we put it in the car and he lays on it. He's happy with it.

Hugs Pet Products Chillz Pad Comfort Cooling Gel Pet Pad, Blue, Large (36" x 20") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JT4P88..._Yje0ybR0KHHVG

9. Likes ColleenOJ, TooTooMommy liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hampton and Gigi
    Likes (Received)

Thank you! There are lots on Amazon so I wasn't sure which one to choose.

11. Likes TooTooMommy liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meaty, Sophie, Professor
    Likes (Received)

I dunno if I said this already, but our babies will NOT lie on their mats !!!! Ugh---we've tried everything !!! I'm ready to spread peanut butter all over the mats to get them to lie on them! Just Kidding!

13. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TooTooMommy View Post
    I dunno if I said this already, but our babies will NOT lie on their mats !!!! Ugh---we've tried everything !!! I'm ready to spread peanut butter all over the mats to get them to lie on them! Just Kidding!
    LOL... I dare ya!
    e.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    None yet
    Likes (Received)

Last summer I bought a cooling mat for Jax cause he likes to lay on the deck in the sun, especially when I am out there reading. What does he do? He lays on the ground, next to the mat.

16. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TooTooMommy View Post
    UGH! I know what you mean! When we FIRST got Meaty, I had to keeeeep explaining to people how EASILY he could overheat. I could tell by some of their reactions that SOME family and friends just thought I was
    being overly dramatic! Nope, I would always tell them they could google ANY website to confirm that I was NOT just saying this to be a drama queen!

By the way, we've always been VERY cautious as soon as it hits 80 degrees.....but as y'all probably know, they can even overheat at SEVENTY! Ugh, then you add FULL SUNSHINE, and it's just horri-bull!

I have to admit, since losing our precious elderly guy in December, (NOT related to heat stroke!!!!)----I
    know it has kinda traumatized me, so I am WAY MORE anxious about hot days than I used to be. I just cannot bare to think of losing one of our babies so soon, and as I said before, we do NOT usually have temps of EIGHTY EIGHT in March.....I was NOT prepared for this at all !!!!! I thought we had until at least JUNE before we had to really worry about heat stroke!

Thank you to whoever's reading this far---LOL----I didn't mean to write a NOVEL! It is so wonder-bull
    to have sites like this to learn / vent/ support eachother! (( hugs )) to everybully who's dreading these
    dangeroussss hot days for our babies !!!
    We're in TX, and our summers are brutal. Temp index over 100. We have a cooling collar for Tyson... it has an ice pack inside.... I'll throw it on him when we leave for a walk, and it kinda melts down his chest... its helped alot! I keep the walk super short 1/3 the time/distance as his winter walks. I also carry water on me in a crossbody bag. Once we get back, the ice pack comes out of the collar and right back in the freezer! I love it, and yes he does get "wet" bc it melts down his chest, but that's the whole purpose.... since thats the area that needs to stay cooler for them

Here's the link for it: I also got some extra packs but really have only used one.

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Collar-E...ds=kool+collar

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cbrugs View Post
    Last summer I bought a cooling mat for Jax cause he likes to lay on the deck in the sun, especially when I am out there reading. What does he do? He lays on the ground, next to the mat.

e.

19. Likes Cbrugs liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads