URGENT!!! Tail Amputation and Incontinace

KyleXN

Feb 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver Cromwell and Ryleigh
Hello everyone!
My oldest bully baby Cromwell (3.5 years old) had a tail amputation yesterday :( he made it through the surgery without issue and the surgeon said everything went great. Now that he is home however, we have noticed that when he passes gas or gets comfortable he is having a bit of "leakage." once he even had a decent amount of poo all over his bed. The surgeon was sure that there wasn't any nerve or muscle issues and he did not need to cut too deeply due to Cromwell's tail shape. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it just be residual effects of the anathesia and his epidural? Will this get better or did I just make things worse for him. I'm beside myself with worry and guilt at this point...
IMG_20170125_160114.jpg

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'm sorry for what you and Cromwell are going through! I don't have any experience to share but one of the more knowledgeable members will be along rest assured, hopefully with some insight. Good luck, prayers for Cromwell

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I would guess that it's a combination of a lot of things. It takes several days to get over the immediate trauma of a MAJOR surgery like tail amputation. If this is nerve related the symptoms will likely diminish as swelling goes down. Give him a few days before making an assessment of his condition. Keep your Vet posted on what's going on. At this point, I would not be overly concerned.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with Chip ... give it a few days for the swelling and stress to dissipate, but keep your vet informed of his issues/progress.

My Lambeau had his tail removed, first day home was 'gassy', but after that he was totally fine and ready to play (which he was not allowed to do)

ladybug73

Sep 27, 2014
Woodinville, WA
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Axl
Hello everyone!
My oldest bully baby Cromwell (3.5 years old) had a tail amputation yesterday :( he made it through the surgery without issue and the surgeon said everything went great. Now that he is home however, we have noticed that when he passes gas or gets comfortable he is having a bit of "leakage." once he even had a decent amount of poo all over his bed. The surgeon was sure that there wasn't any nerve or muscle issues and he did not need to cut too deeply due to Cromwell's tail shape. Has anyone else experienced this? Could it just be residual effects of the anathesia and his epidural? Will this get better or did I just make things worse for him. I'm beside myself with worry and guilt at this point...
View attachment 103949

Axl had exactly the same experience after his tail surgery, and we had your same concerns. It took 4 or 5 days and then he was back to normal. Cromwell probably just needs time to heal and recoup. We were so worried too, so I totally understand!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

KyleXN

Feb 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Axl had exactly the same experience after his tail surgery, and we had your same concerns. It took 4 or 5 days and then he was back to normal. Cromwell probably just needs time to heal and recoup. We were so worried too, so I totally understand!!

Thank you all for your speedy responses! I'm glad to hear others have had similar experiences. 2 days now and still quite leaky... Guess we just wait and see!

OP
K

KyleXN

Feb 15, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Update: well folks, you were all correct and the incontinence stopped... Unfortunately Cromwell has developed a pretty serious infection despite being on clavamox. He had a second surgery today and had the inside of his wound scraped and IV antibiotics. Re-stitched and now stapled as well to keep the wound closed better. He is now on zeniquin and relegated to crate rest for 14 days with laser therapy every other day. Good thoughts Croms way people! :unsure:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor Cromwell... prayers and positive thoughts for a quick recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry ti hear about the second infection. Hoping for a speedy recovery for your baby.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh poor Cromwell. Sending healing prayers for him-I really feel sorry for the boy. :pray:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear about the infection - thinking of little Cromwell and hoping for a speedy recovery!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ahhhhh jeez, sorry to hear about infection. COME ON CROMWELL!! Get better real soon. Love and bully hugs from Joey and I!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online