lethargic and diarhea

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I understand bullies will be "lazy" stubborn and all that...but my puppy(9 months) is lethargic and has had diarhea off and on for a week. we got a new puppy in March, which they love to play. I was sure if maybe he was feeling a little jealous and it was upsetting him physically. He's not always lethargic, he'll get a burst of energy and play with the other one (which i know is typically) but when he's just lounging around, he disappears off to a corner. I feed Harmony Farms, which is a grocery store food, but I was surprised when I found it b/c the ingredients seem a lot better than blue buffalo. Am I over reacting here?

Jenni0109

Apr 30, 2010
Lithia, Fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
I would check his stool for any parasites..Are you seeing any blood in the stool or is it just normal diarrhea? It may just be the food as bullie are "sensitve" all around...I would get his stool check and if that comes up clear maybe try changing his food..

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Harmony Farms is an okay dog food. It is graded 3 stars out of 6.

There are many causes of doggie diarrhea, but the first cause is usually the food. Did you just switch his food right before the diarrhea occurred? If you do not switch foods slowly (over a course of at least 4 days, first 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food, then 1/2 & 1/2, the 1/4 old food & 3/4 new food) bullies tummys can get very upset.

There is also the possibility that your dog is allergic to one of the ingredients in this food.

If you did not switch foods recently, then the causes could be more severe. (Worms, disease, giardia) Bringing a stool sample to the vet like Jenni said would be a very good idea.

If your bully is dehydrated due to the diarrhea, it could get much worse. To check for hydration, pull up the skin and fur on the top of the neck, where the skin is loose. It should fall right back down in a "FLOP". If it does not do this, your dog is dehydrated and needs medical attention immediately!

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

emangan

May 21, 2010
Hi, does your bully chew on plants?? We had puppy that we had to take to vet due to diarehea come to find out she had been chewing on our banana trees. But she was dehydrated and got fluids and clavamox and other meds as well. I almost thought she had parvo what a relief at the same time eye opener. Hope your baby gets better real soon.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
What is the consistancy of her diarrhea? Watery, pudding-like, clear? It makes a difference on the urgency of the situation.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Thanks everyone!

I think bringing a stool sample would be a good idea. He finally had a harder stool this morning. He's been on Harmony farms for quite a while (a good 4 or 5 months). His diarhea has been watery on some days but also other days its been your typically diarhea. He eats everything! It's awful...the minute I look away he's eating the long stringy pollen from the oak trees or he has leaves and sticks in his mouth. Ants and acorns are another fav. Hopefully his stool remains the same as this morning. If not, I'll be bringing it to the vet. Thanks!

NASTYNATI

May 26, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Wimbley
I was feeding my pup Natures Recipe Lamb and Rice formula for the first 4 months or so I had her. I could never get her stool to harden. Finally I switched to a Chicken and rice formula (same brand) and waa laa she was much better. I had multiple stool samples checked, antibiotics given, etc and it turns out, it was her food all along. I now have her on Innova puppy and it seems to be working great.

Attachments

• Walteroo Front Seat.jpg
    Walteroo Front Seat.jpg
    561 KB · Views: 183

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I understand bullies will be "lazy" stubborn and all that...but my puppy(9 months) is lethargic and has had diarhea off and on for a week. we got a new puppy in March, which they love to play. I was sure if maybe he was feeling a little jealous and it was upsetting him physically. He's not always lethargic, he'll get a burst of energy and play with the other one (which i know is typically) but when he's just lounging around, he disappears off to a corner. I feed Harmony Farms, which is a grocery store food, but I was surprised when I found it b/c the ingredients seem a lot better than blue buffalo. Am I over reacting here?

Vegas has a SENSITIVE stomach. Here is my story........(rated PG13...cause it has lots of POOP)
We adopted Vegas from a kennel in Oregon in 2007. The breeder was feeding the puppies a food called Dog Lover's Gold. She said she normally gave a 30 pound bag of it with each puppy adopted, BUT she had run out, so she gave me a freezerbag full of food. She told me the name of the food and that it was available almost everywhere. So we took our little bag of food, our puppy and drove back to Washington state. That weekend I went to the petstore to buy a bag of food. No one had even heard of the food. I sat down with a phone book and started calling all the little salons and petstores I could find. STRIKE OUT!!! I called the distributor of the food for the NW region, and he said the food had not yet made it into the stores in WA yet, but he did have a few people that were distributors in WA state. We were out of food, so I took the list of ingredients and went to the pet store and read labels for 3 hours trying to find one that matched what I was feeding Vegas. I had no food left for a slow switch, so he was going to switch "cold turkey". I ended up with an organic food and Vegas ended up in the ER. The food was too rich for his system and I could not stop him for pooing. Projectile poop. Icky, yucky projectile poo. Poor baby was dehydrated and pooing all the time. So, we took him to the ER and got him rehydrated and put on a "slow the poo down" medication. We then fed him boiled chicken and white rice for 2 weeks until he poo'd normally. We made the drive to Oregon (5 hours) and picked up a couple of bag of food. (okay, we were actually quading, and stopped for food on our way back) I learned my lesson. 1)dont ever change a dog's food without mixing it with the new stuff 2)Bulldogs have sensitive tummies 3) spot shot is awesome!

Jenni0109

Apr 30, 2010
Lithia, Fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4967.jpg
    IMG_4967.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4135.jpg
    IMG_4135.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4262.JPG
    IMG_4262.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 134

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am really hoping you have an answer by now. If not answer these questions: Does he eat constantly or act like he is always starving? Are his stools yellowish or grey in color? Is he loosing weight even though he has a huge appetite? If you said Yes to any of these. Ask your vet to do a TAMU panel (blood test) I may very well be Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. (EPI for short)
My Bully was diagnosed with it at 5 mos. It is extremely rare in puppies and can show up at any time of a dogs life.

Bells started with just diarrhea and then went to being lethargic and then the other symptoms above started. It took about 4 months to finally figure it out after thousands of dollars and multiple tests and medications.

I AM ON A MISSION. This is a treatable, but non-curable disease and I need to let people know it is out there. A lot of owners just let their dogs suffer and eventually die, or put them down.

More information at www.epi4dogs.com

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am really hoping you have an answer by now. If not answer these questions: Does he eat constantly or act like he is always starving? Are his stools yellowish or grey in color? Is he loosing weight even though he has a huge appetite? If you said Yes to any of these. Ask your vet to do a TAMU panel (blood test) I may very well be Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. (EPI for short)
My Bully was diagnosed with it at 5 mos. It is extremely rare in puppies and can show up at any time of a dogs life.

Bells started with just diarrhea and then went to being lethargic and then the other symptoms above started. It took about 4 months to finally figure it out after thousands of dollars and multiple tests and medications.

I AM ON A MISSION. This is a treatable, but non-curable disease and I need to let people know it is out there. A lot of owners just let their dogs suffer and eventually die, or put them down.

More information at www.epi4dogs.com

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online