Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Lily went to the vet before Christmas time for a very bag skin infection she had hives all over her body, fur was falling out, and fur was very greasy with dandruff. Lilly has always has beautiful fur. The doctor put her on antibiotics for 2 weeks, told me to bath her in antifungal shampoo every second day until it cleared up. The infection cleared up within a week.
She was also eating fromm lamb and lentil.....however at the time I thought her infection may have been allergies so I switched her to a Raw diet a brand called Mega Raw ( from Canada).She has been eating this food for a little over 2 months .( I thought she was doing great on it)
A few ago her belly, paws, chin has developed a hot spot and her bum is red and skin is flaking off. So I took her off the raw chicken and switched her to Pork & Duck ..... With still not help.
She has a vet appointment Friday hopefully we will get some answers.
Iā€™m almost thinking she has a yeast infection.
I have also been putting Skin Soother from natural dog company on her sores, but unfortunately itā€™s not helping.

Iā€™m wondering if anyone has any advice. Iā€™ve attached a pic of Lilyā€™s belly and the ingredients in her food.
Thanks so much!

Mega raw chicken-Chicken w/ bone, vegetable blend**, chicken liver, kelp

Mega raw Pork-
Pork w/ bone, vegetable blend**, pork organs (liver, heart,spleen) kelp

Mega raw Duck-
Duck w/ bone, vegetable blend**, duck liver, kelp
16652659_10158288599605531_141594101_n.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I do recall Jewel having a rash and we could not figure it out to save our lives. We took her to the vet and Jewel received a shot of antibiotics and some oral ones to take as well. That is when I learned that the antibiotics not only take care of the bad bacteria but also the good lowering her immune system. I am glad to hear that you are going to the vet because I am not a vet but a bully owner. Changing foods around can also do harm as good. I would use a bland diet (chicken and rice) and see how that goes for a while until you see your vet. You should also consider giving probiotics.

Others will chime in here and I hope will give you some ideas. @2BullyMama , @Vikinggirl , @Manydogs to name a few. We do hope Lily gets better soon. Jewel and Bentley say hello.

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Yes forgot to mention Lily also gets a probiotic as well. Thanks for your input! I will keep you posted :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hey there, have you changed anything around the house? Detergents, cleaners, etc? That she may come in contact with? The redness on the pic you posted looks like severe irritation, but not a hot spot... unless I can't see it very well. I would clean with witch hazel, and maybe apply some neosporin or vetericyn. Is it bothering her?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mega Raw has a very good reputation. Like [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] said looks like an irritation. Changed of detergents? I know I post this recipe often but it sure works. This is "not" just for the ears, its for any infection and/or irritation on any part of the body. I use it for Nyala's tail pocket every 2nd day. She had 2 rashes/redness one one each side of her chest, I used it on her and 2 days all gone. [MENTION=8888]Jersey[/MENTION] had a bad ear infection, she made the mixture and she said it worked on her baby girl and never came back. Something to keep on hand in your pharmacy.

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated Coconut Oil to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I agree with Jessica, it looks like she has been rubbing on something,and made this very sore(like a rug burn would be...) her skin has a few red spots and looks very dry. Could be contact dermatitis. [MENTION=5132]Coop590[/MENTION]

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Thanks for our input everyone! I have not changed anything around the house.... It has just starting bothering her with in the last few days...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang... looks like contact irritation/allergy ..... could be an environmental allergy, grass or something outside, if everything inside has not changed.

Try some Benedryl and clean the area as previously suggested

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Glad you're posting this! Jersey was on antibiotics, oral and topical and antifungal wipes all from the vet. No improvement after being on meds for weeks. Even Vetrycin didn't work as it did in the past. I used the essential oil recipe [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] posted and it was completely cleared up in 2 days! Now I wipe her ears once a week with the oil mixture as maintenance and no brown goop! Before, when cleaning with meds every day she still had brown debris. Thanks so much Helene for posting this, what a Godsend!!!

Mega Raw has a very good reputation. Like @TyTysmom said looks like an irritation. Changed of detergents? I know I post this recipe often but it sure works. This is "not" just for the ears, its for any infection and/or irritation on any part of the body. I use it for Nyala's tail pocket every 2nd day. She had 2 rashes/redness one one each side of her chest, I used it on her and 2 days all gone. @Jersey had a bad ear infection, she made the mixture and she said it worked on her baby girl and never came back. Something to keep on hand in your pharmacy.

From @Saalwi*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine: 15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated Coconut Oil to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated coconut oil on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad you're posting this! Jersey was on antibiotics, oral and topical and antifungal wipes all from the vet. No improvement after being on meds for weeks. Even Vetrycin didn't work as it did in the past. I used the essential oil recipe [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] posted and it was completely cleared up in 2 days! Now I wipe her ears once a week with the oil mixture as maintenance and no brown goop! Before, when cleaning with meds every day she still had brown debris. Thanks so much Helene for posting this, what a Godsend!!!

Was really [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] 's recipe. I just investigated into it as I know a lot in oils so tried this potion lol...for Nyala's tail pocket and bingo!!! 2 days like you! Trust me I have a big bottle already premixed in my pharmacy. Nyala has now a section in the pharmacy! Go figure!

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Lily went to the vet this morning she said is was allergies.....The vet put her on Novo-Lexin for 14 days ,Vanectyl-p for 9 days and also hibitane cream to put on her spots. The vet is also recommending I start feeding her Royal Canin hydrolysis protein blend..... I'm not 100% sure I agree with this dog food. She also wants me to put her in an elimination diet until we get the the bottom of her allergies��

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lily went to the vet this morning she said is was allergies.....The vet put her on Novo-Lexin for 14 days ,Vanectyl-p for 9 days and also hibitane cream to put on her spots. The vet is also recommending I start feeding her Royal Canin hydrolysis protein blend..... I'm not 100% sure I agree with this dog food. She also wants me to put her in an elimination diet until we get the the bottom of her allergies��

Stay off that food... RC is crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Yes I told her I would not be feeding it to Lily
I starting her on pure raw duck. Fingers crossed it's ok!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Run Lily RUN........:rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog: Get away from that crap Royal Canin! EEEWWWWWWWW

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online