Rabies shot. Yes or No

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I once flew my SharPei from Florida to my parents home in Canada. It wasn't a particularly long trip nor full of problems, but she was a very sensitive dog and was very traumatized. So much in fact that my father insisted that I let him rent a car for me to drive her the 1500 miles back to my home in Florida.

I have read that Air France will let dogs fly in the cabin, but I imagine a bully wouldn't qualify. We were thinking of spending 2 or 3 months in UK this year. I'd hate to be separated from Daphne that long, but it's got to be about what's best for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may have changed since I flew but the Pet Passport rules then did not allow any dogs to be flown in the cabin (WHY?). As you say, a bully probably wouldn't apply anyway as the carrier has to fit under the seat. It is a problem for sure. It sounds like your only option is Cunard. I checked going on a cargo ship but it wasn't applicable at that time. Worth a search? We have found that the older we get, the less time we like to be away from our pets! Good luck!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] reminds me when I was in Montreal and my eldest was here in Alberta. His gf wanted me to bring her dog to the airport so she can have her dog with her in Alberta. Ok...get ready at 3am!!!! The friend brings me the dog and I leave with the dog to the airport. The flight, kennel everything was paid for in advance. I just had to bring the dog and give him a pill. Get to the airport, this bozo behind the desk says, you dont have a blanket? Errr no so go back in the car get a blanket. 800 $ you would think they would give one for the dog. But, true make sense. Then he says, your kennel is too small the dog, ears touches the top. I bend down looked and the ears were barely touching. I look at him like are you kidding me!!! Said the ears are supposed to be 2" free. Well, poor guy probably wished he should of shut up. I can take a lot but dont be a damm jerk as I will put you to your place fast. Enough its not even my dog, get up driving at 3am to an airport, get a blanket, get a speech for ears barely touching the top of the kennel, pop a pill to the poor dog which he didn't want. I look at him and asked him if his mother ever dropped him on his head and what dog will stand up through a 5hr flight after taking a pill in the cargo where they will be freezing and scare Sh*t???? He never answered. Lollll I left.

I feel your pain. When we got to BA to fly home to England they said my dog's crate wasn't tall enough (same as you) and they would not fly her in it. I was paranoid about this flight and had measured all of them very carefully many times. They also said the same about one of my cats. They just happened (!) to have a larger wooden crate my dog could use and I could use her crate for my cat. Naturally that increased the cost quite a bit but at least they could fly.

I am really surprised they let him fly after giving him a pill. How long ago was this as that has been a huge No-No for some time now? It has proved to be dangerous for the animal.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I feel your pain. When we got to BA to fly home to England they said my dog's crate wasn't tall enough (same as you) and they would not fly her in it. I was paranoid about this flight and had measured all of them very carefully many times. They also said the same about one of my cats. They just happened (!) to have a larger wooden crate my dog could use and I could use her crate for my cat. Naturally that increased the cost quite a bit but at least they could fly.

I am really surprised they let him fly after giving him a pill. How long ago was this as that has been a huge No-No for some time now? It has proved to be dangerous for the animal.

About 9 yrs ago

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
It may have changed since I flew but the Pet Passport rules then did not allow any dogs to be flown in the cabin (WHY?). As you say, a bully probably wouldn't apply anyway as the carrier has to fit under the seat. It is a problem for sure. It sounds like your only option is Cunard. I checked going on a cargo ship but it wasn't applicable at that time. Worth a search? We have found that the older we get, the less time we like to be away from our pets! Good luck!

The French don't generally follow rules...

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Can't speak to flying in or out of France but animal control in the UK were very strict. The only exception to the rule were certain private carriers. The British always seem to follow the rules when no-one else does!!!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Can't speak to flying in or out of France but animal control in the UK were very strict. The only exception to the rule were certain private carriers. The British always seem to follow the rules when no-one else does!!!

I'll try to find a funny photo I took in the Loire Valley a while ago. We were at a chateau, can't remember which one, there was a sign that said, in French, English, German, Spanish, Dutch...Please Keep Off the Grass. There was a large French family spread out on the lawn with a lawn blanket, eating their packed lunches, little kids kicking a ball etc.. Life is often so amusing...

Members online

No members online now.