Sick English bulldog - Gastric Ulcers

chefolin

Feb 7, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Victor
Hi everyone,

I am really concern about my 2 years old English bulldog. last Wednesday he woke up throwing up and his face was swollen, we gave him some benadryl and he got better but by Saturday he stop eating and still vomiting a yellow liquid. Right now he is in the hospital with fluids but all the test came back normal just a little bit dehydrated. the x-ray don't show any obstruction and I think the vet does not have a clue what is going on. he is on steroids but he does not want to eat nothing. Somebody experienced something similar?

Thanks for your help

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh No, I'm so sorry this is happening. Sometimes a blockage may not show up in an X-ray…
I would normally suggest a second opinion,however, if he's currently in the hospital on an IV then that will not be doable. It's good that he's being monitored and on fluids…but it's concerning that they do not know what could have caused this.
You may want to look into a bulldog vet in your area and even put in a call to alert them of the situation, they may be able to offer insight to the situation.

Any chance he was bitten or stung by something? Recent vaccinations?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone,

I am really concern about my 2 years old English bulldog. last Wednesday he woke up throwing up and his face was swollen, we gave him some benadryl and he got better but by Saturday he stop eating and still vomiting a yellow liquid. Right now he is in the hospital with fluids but all the test came back normal just a little bit dehydrated. the x-ray don't show any obstruction and I think the vet does not have a clue what is going on. he is on steroids but he does not want to eat nothing. Somebody experienced something similar?

Thanks for your help

Has the vet done a barium test? It will show issues that an xray or ultrasound do not catch

Where in the US are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION]

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sick English bulldog

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help

X-rays don't always catch obstructions ask for a barium study & and ultrasounds. Where are you located? What other test have a run on him? Is he still vomiting? And is he using the restroom normally?

OP
C

chefolin

Feb 7, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Victor
Hi, I live in Williston ND, I dont have too many options for vets in here my beat choice is located 2 hours away from here but I am 38 weeks pregnant and I dont want to drive too far away in my last weeks of pregnancy.. he ate something and he is not in the hospital anymore, Hoping he gets better with the medication.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh boy!! well glad he ate and is home, and thanks for update... bring on more as he continues to get well :) Congrats on your pregnancy as well :) take care

OP
C

chefolin

Feb 7, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Victor
He ate some wet food (his favorite) around 4:30 and now he does not want to eat anymore again... he went to the bathroom and he has kinda dark stools but I dont think he is bleeding internally because his blood work came out normal. The vet sent him home with antibiotics, steroides, metronidazole and cereniA

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
These guys are so scarry :( Your surly don't need this now :( not that 'we' ever do, but at this time, peace is what you need, and time to take care of you too. I hope the morning brings some resolve..

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
@chefolin Do you have anyone to help you? Definitely do not travel two hours away from your home (unless it's to YOUR hospital) at 38 weeks…Did they mention darkening of stool as a side effect from the meds? You may want to put in a call about that just to see what they say. I hope you have a lot of help and support, you definitely have to take care of you!! Congrats on your little one, I hope Victor has a good night and you get some peace and rest…keep us posted (and on the baby too :havemyheart:)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He ate some wet food (his favorite) around 4:30 and now he does not want to eat anymore again... he went to the bathroom and he has kinda dark stools but I dont think he is bleeding internally because his blood work came out normal. The vet sent him home with antibiotics, steroides, metronidazole and cereniA

Good that he is eating, but blood work does not always tell the story of what might be happening. please ask the vet you can get to without driving 2 hours, to do the barium test... check and make sure nothing is in him.

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
What you are describing my boy is currently recovering from... gastric ulcers. His developed due to stress and being on many medications due to having three surgeries/hospitilized for other problems. Anyways, after he came home the last time
He wouldn't stop puking(often yellow bile if he had not eaten, or foam), couldn't eat, blood in his stools. They thought it was esophagitis from the endotracheal
Tube during surgery, so they scoped him to have a look. Turns out it was gastric ulcers. He had every test under the moon - blood tests, ultrasound, barium swallow, etc. they had no clue it was gastric ulcers until he was scoped. It may be a different diagnosis in your case, but I really suggest you ask your vet about that possibility. He is now on a new easy digestible food (just while he heals), antacids, and a pill that coats his stomach. We haven't had puke in awhile thankfully!

OP
C

chefolin

Feb 7, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Victor
Update on my fur baby, he is getting better no more pucking, he still needs more recovering to do but he is doing great! .. thanks everyone for the input... the vet said he has gastric ulcers..

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank you for the update! Thank goodness he is slowly getting better!! Sending hugs to sweet Victor.

Update on my fur baby, he is getting better no more pucking, he still needs more recovering to do but he is doing great! .. thanks everyone for the input... the vet said he has gastric ulcers..

Diesel10

Nov 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel
The vet confirmed he has gastric ulcers? Once he is done the antacids, my next suggestion would be to get some slippery elm - it's a herb that's safe for dogs and cats - look it up, there is a lot of benefits to it. I give it to my guy an hour before he eats to help protect his stomach from more ulcers forming! He's doing so well on it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.