bullynamedlouie

Dec 15, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Hi everyone, I rushed Louie (almost 6 months old) to the emergency clinic 4am Tuesday morning because I woke up to the sound of him vomiting. I didn't think much of it because he had been sick on the weekend (vomiting, loss of appetite) and thought it was just the last of it leaving his system. I turned on the light to clean it up and nearly fell over - his face was completely swollen to the point where he could barely open his eyes!!! I panicked because I was worried the swelling would spread to his throat. Got him to the vet and they gave him a shot of Benadryl, a steroid shot and anti-nausea. His vitals were otherwise good - no fever, well hydrated, etc.

Brought him home and he slept some more. Swelling went down slowly over the day. He's almost back to normal now (has been on Benadryl since) and is eating and playing like normal, just a little groggy from the Benadryl and his face his ever so slightly pink and swollen in parts.

I was home with him on Tuesday and can't think of what might have caused this. I haven't changed his food (he eats a mix of Mega raw and Orijen puppy kibble), as well as Activia vanilla yoghurt, peanut butter and healthy treats (dried liver, carrots, etc.) The only thing I can think of is I gave him a new treat called "Look Who's Happy Now". This is their ingredient list: Chicken, carrot, cane molasses, salt, citric acid (to impede mold growth), mixed tocopherols (to maintain freshness). I gave him one of these treats on Friday and he was sick Saturday but no swelling. Don't know if it's just coincidence but I definitely threw them out!! Last night he threw up twice within half an hour - tiny amounts of bile. This morning he had a good appetite and wanted to play but his farts today are disgusting and he is peeing like crazy.

It was pouring rain all day so he was barely outside. Didn't see him eat anything unusual... it's mild winter weather were I live in Canada so I can't imagine many toxic plants or bugs would be out and about at this time. Some people say it might have been a spider bite? I gave him a quick bath that day too but used the same shampoo as always (Burts Bees Puppy). I showered before I washed him, maybe he drank some of the shower water with my perfume-y soaps in it?

Anyway I'm worried sick and wondered if anyone else has ever had this happen? What caused it? Did it happen again?

I appreciate any advice or input! Thank you!!!

16178870_2203280793229674_2288045965353703850_o.png

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Louie...your an awesome looking bully. I am sorry to hear about your escapade. It most definitely sound like an allergic reaction to something. I would keep the Benadryl on hand at all times. As a matter of fact, we have bottles of 25 mg tablets upstairs, downstairs and in the pups travel bag.

It sounds like you are trying to isolate the cause. I would not give Louie any of those new treats.

We hope Louie is feeling ;better soon. I would most def keep and eye on him to ensure he does not get into something he is not suppose to.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
Its possible he was bit by a spider or another bug. We had a similar incident with our boxer a few years ago. It was 4th of July weekend and we were on vacation at my sister in laws cottage. It was a super hot day (in the 90's) so we put the dogs in the camper with fans blowing on them to cool them off. About an hour later my daughter went out to the camper and said Diesel looked chinese, I just thought she meant because he was panting so hard but when I went out to the camper I almost fell over!! His face was so swollen you could not tell he was a boxer, he looked more like a very swollen shar pei. Needless to say, it was a sunday night on the 4th of July out in the boonies and we had no clue where any vet was. Luckily, I have worked at a vet clinic for many years and knew to give him lots of benadryl. After searching cottage after cottage for benadryl we finally found enough to get us through the night. Within a couple days he was back to normal. I now keep a supply of benadryl in my camper just in case. We think he got bit by a bug while laying underneath the camper in the shade.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This has happened to me several times... and I did exactly what you did, rush to the vets and the benadryl shot. I always keep benadryl on hand just in case...

My Bella was stung several times because she liked to eat bees :facepalm2: and Walter had an episode of what is diagnosed as puppy strangles. It's an autoimmune issue, and it cause his entire face to swell like that.

Sometimes it's very hard to predict what the culprit is, so I would definitely throw out the new treats... also regular yogurt has lots of sugar in it, if you choose to do yogurt I would recommend the fat-free plain greek variety. Maybe hold off on the peanut butter as well, unless you know for sure he has no problems w/it.

Have you used anything else new in the house? Febreeze, perfume, new washing powder, floor cleaners?!! Think of anything that is on his level and go from there... my family has allergies so I pretty much use fragrance free cleaners, and washing powders.

He sure is cute, my goodness... and I hope that he feels better soon!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Allergic reaction for sure. Your dog eats very well but che kup on the mega raw just in case there was a recall and you're not aware of it. That yogurt has a lot of sugar and and anything that says low fat means hidden sugars. Check also your carb on the nutritional fact and not just where it says sugars...carbs are also sugars.....example:

Carbohydrates*are made of long chains of simple*sugars. Thus*sugar*is a type of*carbohydrate, needed by our body for energy. It may be called different names e.g. sucrose, glucose, high fructose corn syrup, maltose, dextrose, raw*sugar, cane*sugar, malt extract and molasses.

What part of Canada are you? Unless you're way north of Canada yes we have poisonous spiders and the rockies as its very dry here. Its one of those things you might not ever know what caused it. Just keep an eye out and keep the benadryl on hand. Good job rushing to the vet!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor bully boy! This happened to our Banks twice exactly as you explained and both times we never found out what it was to cause it...

She also had it happen another times from a bee sting and eating chicken but those times were just hives

Always have benedryl on hand... as for all the peeing.. steroids will cause that to happen

Keep us posted in how he is doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor baby!!! And I must commend you on taking him in right away because you are right it can get to the throat and be fatal.
So glad he's okay and getting better, everything you mention food wise, care wise sounds great. I'm gonna bet it was something random like a bite. Also happened to my Tyson, once he got stung by a wasp, and another he stepped in a pile of fire ants. Thank god for Benadryl.... for us it was only these two times. He also once broke out in hives on a new detergent I got, so now I was all his stuff in free & clear.
Prayers for quick recovery! Yes, keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
It happened to our American Bulldog when she was a puppy. We gave her a bath and we think it was the shampoo. Her face looked like she had gone a couple of rounds with Mike Tyson, eyes swollen shut etc. We used hypoallergenic shampoo after that and it never happened again.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh sweet Louie…that picture makes me smile and tear up at the same time..poor baby. I hope you find out what the cause was. It can be so hard to find out, anything from cleaning products (even swiffer solution) and detergents to one nasty ingredient… The weather has been funky lately, maybe it brought a random bug out from hibernation?? Hope he gets well soon, hugs sweet boy!!

OP
B

bullynamedlouie

Dec 15, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Thanks everyone for your comments and well wishes!

Update on Louie: He is doing much better compared to Tuesday. He is off the Benadryl and is still a little more pink in the face than normal (mostly around his eyes and mouth) but otherwise eating well and playing. His stool is soft and I've probably made my neighbours think I'm crazy by sifting through it with a stick :D just want to see if he ate something strange.

I bought some distilled witch hazel which I have combined one part with 3 parts warm water on a face cloth. Been cleaning his face and folds with that to try to bring down the pink irritation. Will be doing an iodine soak for his paws too as I notice they are a little pink and he is licking them.

Love that little bug!

IMG_3221.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Update on Louie: He is doing much better compared to Tuesday. He is off the Benadryl and is still a little more pink in the face than normal (mostly around his eyes and mouth) but otherwise eating well and playing. His stool is soft and I've probably made my neighbours think I'm crazy by sifting through it with a stick :D just want to see if he ate something strange.

I bought some distilled witch hazel which I have combined one part with 3 parts warm water on a face cloth. Been cleaning his face and folds with that to try to bring down the pink irritation. Will be doing an iodine soak for his paws too as I notice they are a little pink and he is licking them.

Love that little bug!

View attachment 103644

Such a cutie pie is right --- so glad he is doing better! keep those pictures coming

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my hearts, Louie you are just precious. That face, I can't. I just want to squeeze him! Thank you for the update, so glad he's getting better. Again, hats off to you for being such a wonderful bully parent! PS. We use witch hazel on Tyson's wrinkle daily, its wonderful :)

Love that little bug!

View attachment 103644

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.