helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was answering a question to someone in a thread. I am just amazed how many of bully owner believe in giving yogurt to their dogs for probiotics. Yogurts has good probiotics for "human consumption only!" Plus its loaded of sugars. And yes I know the Internet will say yogurts are good to give to dogs but which ones? Often dogs intolerant dairy products. If you really want to give yogurt to your dog, at least use the greek yogurts. Plain...nothing in it! But I have never seen a wolf eat yogurt. :w00t:

Like ive said numerous times, give probiotics from your health food stores and the one in the fridge with "live strains"...not the one on the shelves.

Again, this is my opinion on yogurts! You are free to do what you want and think like you want. :yes::no::yes:

Read the links attached it explains it well. I will mix Italian, French or English and confuse you more. Lolll

Why Not Yoghurt? - Dogs Naturally Magazine

How pet food is killing your dog - and why you should be feeding it parsnips and yoghurt | Daily Mail Online

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Helene, great post!! My own experience....when Joey was a puppy I wanted to do ALL THE BEST things for her, so.......I read about adding yogurt, well that did not go well, poor thing had loose stools for 3 days, AND it was the nothing added plain yogurt, that's when I learned the pumpkin trick for loose stools :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Great articles... I give my pups a tablespoon of fat free greek yogurt on top of their kibble for breakfast. Not so much for the probiotics benefits, but as a "treat"... I also give Wally probiotics blend at dinner time, and should start giving them to Willow too.

bulliebullybull

Sep 9, 2016
South west Pennsylvania
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
One tablespoon of yogurt plain with morning meal he loves it which has helped decrease gas. Food is all dry blue buffalo wilderness red meat and salmon. Read article about using large breed formula for bulldogs and came to conclusion it was due to increased calcium and other joint nutrition for the hip problems bully's can get. Considering yogurt was more of calcium supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] Pumpkin is great for loose stools.

Any body, dogs, cats or humans takes a bit of time for it to get use to when you're adding something new or even like probiotics which our bodies produces on its own. We dont have enough of the good bacteria by not eating fresh or the proper way or taking meds. We can give the best kibbles on the planet but it boils down that there is still preservatives to form it as a little nugget. People forget dogs are dogs. They are supposed to eat like what mother nature gave them. There's a reason why their teeth/jaws are not like humans. Man wouldn't want to have Nyala's teeth lolll. I would love to give raw to Nyala but not if humans are behind making it. I work in the food industry and what I make is fully inspected, regulated n certified and raw is scary as I see tons of food out there not done right cause of the human. Nyala eats fresh veggies, fruits, raw game or I boil turkey for her and she gets the broth. She's also gets honest kitchen grain free. I want her to eat everything and not stick to one food everyday. Our grand parents use to give the scraps from supper table to the dogs. Yes it was cooked but was real food. Dogs back then lived for ever. Raw milk was the best thing on the planet. Didnt have allergies back then till humans started to cook up the milk n kill everything in it. Raw honey is great too. Anything that is heated to high temperatures is dead. Yogurts is a billion dollar industry. Companies will tell you...sure it's great for dogs. They just want your money. Dogs/cats are not meant to live like humans. Plain n simple. All this to say, I rather give a real live probiotic with the highest strains in it to any dog or cat and myself instead of a yogurt. Pet bird, notice they only sell what birds eats in nature? Dogs n cats are a billion dollar industry for a good reason. Ok I better stop while I can. Lolll

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
One tablespoon of yogurt plain with morning meal he loves it which has helped decrease gas. Food is all dry blue buffalo wilderness red meat and salmon. Read article about using large breed formula for bulldogs and came to conclusion it was due to increased calcium and other joint nutrition for the hip problems bully's can get. Considering yogurt was more of calcium supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true. So are veggies.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Really great posts! Evidence of why I LOVE this forum, I NEVER stop learning!!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Really great posts! Evidence of why I LOVE this forum, I NEVER stop learning!!

I second that!!! I read a lot in here too. When it comes to food, natural way of eating or healing I have a lot of knowledge as I've been doing it for decades. But when it comes for specific bulldog issues, trust me I will start reading here. It's a breed on it's own.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We give Jewel and Bentley probiotics twice a day. We also give them yogurt in the evening as a treat (i.e. ice cream) and it's Greek non or low-fat.

detail_090030F.030.jpg

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I understand where you're coming from with big companies pushing yogurt and Probiotics; however saying that, I do notice that when one of our pups has a gurgling stomach and I give them 1/4 cup of plain whole yogurt their stomach usually stops gurgling within the hour. Not sure why but it works for us.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
on this subject.... I don't remember who suggested the sauerkraut but Hank LOVES it and it's a great probiotic??? His is fermented, organic etc...... and though I thought it would make him (and me) gassie,,,, it did not! so far, his meals are so varied and he is doing great :)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
on this subject.... I don't remember who suggested the sauerkraut but Hank LOVES it and it's a great probiotic??? His is fermented, organic etc...... and though I thought it would make him (and me) gassie,,,, it did not! so far, his meals are so varied and he is doing great :)
That would probably be RiiSi :yes: She recommended sauerkraut to us too. I have yet to add it to the diet, but it is on my EBN list of recommendations.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Probably me lol I use that too. The one in tbe fridge not on the shelf or canned.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I understand where you're coming from with big companies pushing yogurt and Probiotics; however saying that, I do notice that when one of our pups has a gurgling stomach and I give them 1/4 cup of plain whole yogurt their stomach usually stops gurgling within the hour. Not sure why but it works for us.

Usually gurgling is due to the fluid content within the bowels.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has Greek plain yoghurt as a treat and he loves it but not for the probiotic thing just a treat and not too much.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.