Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Default Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Took Abe to be neutered on Tuesday. While there he got his nails trimmed and another Rabbies vaccine. He slept all day after picking him up on Tuesday.

Wednesday eveningt I noticed some blood running down into his hair. He had a small spot at the base of his head at the top of his shoulders that was oozing some blood...by Thursday it was larger and we where keeping an eye on it. By Saturday it was the size of a 50 cent piece, raw and bloody and the blood was mating in big globs in his fur.

This morning we put him on on a table and washed his head and neck to clean all the blood and crust out. He now has a large area that is exsposed meat and is oozing badly. I cleaned and sprayed it with Vetericyn wound and skin care...

He will be 3 in may...eats Blue Buffalo Life protection formula lamb and brown rice recipe. He has never had allergies or hot spots. He has been a picture of perfect health.

Is is it possible he is having a reaction from the rabbies vaccine? Is the base of the head at the shoulders where a rabbies vaccine would be given?

Can I put peroxide on it with some gold bonds medicated powered to try and dry the wound up?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

-fullsizerender-jpg-fullsizerender-jpg

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Tgat is a hotspot.... shave the area and keep it clean use peroxide at first .... they can be from weaken immune system or stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

I hope you can get it cleared up soon.

Bully Bootie Duty Old School Dropout's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Abe is having a tough week, he sure is a handsome fella. Hope he gets all healed up soon.

6. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Called the Vet and our Vet is out if town till Wednesday...the nurse on the phone told me to go to Tractor Supply and pick up some powdered medicine called "Wonder dust"...get this...it's intended use is for "Horses and Show Animals"...
    ingredients are:
    Iodoform 2%
    Potassium Alum 5%
    Flowers of Sulfur 2%
    Tannic Acid 2%
    Activated Charcoal 5%
    Copper Sulfate 13%
    Hydrated Lime 71%
    Is a powder like flour that you squirt on the wound...supposed to coagulate the wound and medicate. Within seconds of applying the bleeding stopped. There was to much raised raw flesh to shave the area but hopefully it is healing....time will tell...will give an update in a few days.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I have used Wonderdust on injuries many times over the years. It sounds to me that @HoldenIron Abe had a bad reaction to the Rabies shot,or the needle wasn't sterile.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Yes, it sounds like reaction to Rabies shot.

You might get a waiver from your Vet (check on State laws),
    at the very least, get your Bully titrated before each shot to
    see if he can avoid getting them based on enough immunity.

Praying for your baby, please let us know how he is doing.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Well gang I promised to keep you updated...Abe is just about gone I'm sad to say...he hasn't eaten since Saturday night...and until this morning he wouldn't drink either, we did manage to get fluids in him after breakfast time...he crawled under the bed last night and didn't want to come out...

so fearing the worst we had that "what if talk" with our sons this morning ages 8 and 10...after talking to the one other Vet in our area and showing pictures (Abe is to sick to travel) she agreed Abe probably had a severe reaction to the rabies vaccine..she gave us a full head muzzle and sent us home with more medicine.

we muzzled him and was able to cut out most of the skin and fur that had turned into a nasty lesion and looked like an abcess...it was horrible to say the least. I have never seen so much puss and dead skin coming off with the fur attached...I have to admit I had to stop once and go throw up...the smell was to much....we poured almost 2 quart sized bottles of peroxide on the wound and got it cleaned up pretty good.

His favorite things in the world is peanut butter and bacon...we tried putting his pills first in peanut butter and then rolled them in bacon but he wouldn't even eat that...I got bit trying to force them down his mouth.

my little boys are heart broke, my dog is almost dead and I'm mad as hell at the Vet that did this....if any of you pray please pray for Abe tonight...it will be touch and go for a few days I'm afraid if we got the infection cleaned out in time.

11. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenIron View Post
    Well gang I promised to keep you updated...Abe is just about gone I'm sad to say...he hasn't eaten since Saturday night...and until this morning he wouldn't drink either, we did manage to get fluids in him after breakfast time...he crawled under the bed last night and didn't want to come out...

so fearing the worst we had that "what if talk" with our sons this morning ages 8 and 10...after talking to the one other Vet in our area and showing pictures (Abe is to sick to travel) she agreed Abe probably had a severe reaction to the rabies vaccine..she gave us a full head muzzle and sent us home with more medicine.

we muzzled him and was able to cut out most of the skin and fur that had turned into a nasty lesion and looked like an abcess...it was horrible to say the least. I have never seen so much puss and dead skin coming off with the fur attached...I have to admit I had to stop once and go throw up...the smell was to much....we poured almost 2 quart sized bottles of peroxide on the wound and got it cleaned up pretty good.

His favorite things in the world is peanut butter and bacon...we tried putting his pills first in peanut butter and then rolled them in bacon but he wouldn't even eat that...I got bit trying to force them down his mouth.

my little boys are heart broke, my dog is almost dead and I'm mad as hell at the Vet that did this....if any of you pray please pray for Abe tonight...it will be touch and go for a few days I'm afraid if we got the infection cleaned out in time.
    Sending good vibes you are a better person than me I would of went crazy in the vet I basically admitted to killing your dog I'm very sorry you are going though this.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

PRAYING FOR ABE, PLEASE GOD TOUCH ABE AND HEAL HIM, MAKE THIS PRECIOUS ONE WELL, IN JESUS NAME AMEN. GIVE ABE A KISS AND HUG FROM ME.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

PLEASE bring ABE to another vet-don't just let him die! Praying that you do and praying for Abe to survive this.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads