Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm glad you're taking charge! Sometimes we just know our bullies better than anyone. Good call on the washing and cleansing. One piece of advice -- hot spots won't heal if kept moist, but I realize that antibiotic ointment can help and provide some itch relief, so maybe try to keep it dry for a bit after you cleanse it so a scab can form and heal, and then apply ointment after the wound has had some time to breathe. Keep an eye on that ear! Fingers crossed things start to get better. Definitely try the broth recipe, it's important to keep him hydrated and eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

totally agree.... needs time to dry out so it will heal

- - - Updated - - -

Today's update...bathed him and cleansed that wound really well today....that took the smell away and he absolutely loved it while we gently rubbed the wound with the cleansing soap. The soap we are using is some type of hand soap that surgeons use before operating...I will get the name of it and post tomorrow.

most of the scabbing washed away...I agree with you all, the wound needs washing everyday. The last vet just said to keep spraying twice a day with the Betagen spray and said nothing of cleansing everyday...basically I left with the understanding to give him his meds and spray him twice a day and it should heal on its own...

starting tomorrow I'm taking charge. These vets don't seem to know didley...I was taught better wound trauma care when I was in the Marines.

so starting tomorrow he gets his meds and his spray and it's getting a good cleansing...after the cleansing and disenfecting I'm wiping the wound down with triple antibiotic ointment to keep the wound moist and keep him from scratching and further inflaming it. He is eating all his meals now and drinking so that is another promising mark in his recovery...I may even put some silverdyne on his wound.

i appreciate everyone here hanging in there with me...I can't tell how much of an ordeal it has been...now if we can get that wound to heal.

Looking so much better and happy to hear he is eating!! thanks for keeping us posted

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Today's update...bathed him and cleansed that wound really well today....that took the smell away and he absolutely loved it while we gently rubbed the wound with the cleansing soap. The soap we are using is some type of hand soap that surgeons use before operating...I will get the name of it and post tomorrow.

most of the scabbing washed away...I agree with you all, the wound needs washing everyday. The last vet just said to keep spraying twice a day with the Betagen spray and said nothing of cleansing everyday...basically I left with the understanding to give him his meds and spray him twice a day and it should heal on its own...

starting tomorrow I'm taking charge. These vets don't seem to know didley...I was taught better wound trauma care when I was in the Marines.

so starting tomorrow he gets his meds and his spray and it's getting a good cleansing...after the cleansing and disenfecting I'm wiping the wound down with triple antibiotic ointment to keep the wound moist and keep him from scratching and further inflaming it. He is eating all his meals now and drinking so that is another promising mark in his recovery...I may even put some silverdyne on his wound.

i appreciate everyone here hanging in there with me...I can't tell how much of an ordeal it has been...now if we can get that wound to heal.

Good job!!! It's really going to be ok now. Just clean the wound everyday andlet it dry before spraying. Give it air. You got this!

OP
H

HoldenIron

Today's update...it has been one week exactly since I took him to the last vet...Abe is eating all his food at meal times and looking for more. He wants to play and get attention of course...I would say he is probably back 90% to his old self prior to the neutering when this started. His wound is dry and no longer smelling bad or oozing. He has most improved over the last 48 hours than all of last week combined.

i will post a new pic in the morning.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
WHEW! What a wild ride that was...
looking out for a pic

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad to hear this, keep us posted!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Today's update...it has been one week exactly since I took him to the last vet...Abe is eating all his food at meal times and looking for more. He wants to play and get attention of course...I would say he is probably back 90% to his old self prior to the neutering when this started. His wound is dry and no longer smelling bad or oozing. He has most improved over the last 48 hours than all of last week combined.

:whew:
What a relief…so great to read this update!! Abe, you are a rock star

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome to hear... keep on truckin Abe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

Most wonderful news! You have done a good job taking care of him-so happy for Abe!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
So happy that we are finally towards the end. Poor Abe had us all worried for a bit there. Please post new pics when you can. Thank you for not giving up on that baby, he is part of the family :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
YAY!! ABE!! SO Happy For you!!:jumping::happydance::dance3::nightfever:

Hope you will stay with us, so we can follow all your new adventures!!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I'm just now getting caught up with time to read this post, from beginning to end. THANK GOD for the advice given here, you all SAVED ABE'S LIFE! I would mention you all in this post but afraid that I would miss someone, seriously this group, these members literally save a life. This post was a page turner from the beginning.

I pray Abe is doing better, it sounded like in the last post by the OP. I will check back for an update. And to the OP I am sorry that you and your family, and especially Abe have had such an awful time, I'm sending you all relaxing vibes and get better very soon to Abe.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.