Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

OP
H

HoldenIron

Here he is today.....sorry to take so long to post today...we had tornados and 65mph winds last night and today.

Today Abe acted kinda playful and seemed to eat better. I have to admit though his wound looks terrible and it is really starting to smell...we are going to attempt to bath him and give his wound a good cleaning in addition to his daily regime tomorrow.

OP
H

HoldenIron

IMG_0497.JPG

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Been 7 days and this poor dog is just a tad better?!?!? That wound shouldn't be smelling at all by now. It should be closing up healing...not smelling. From what I see since your vets in your area are useless, it will be up to you to do your own maintenance on Abe. There's no way in hell I would rely on any of your vets. It is very important to maintain Abe. All pets not only bulldogs need maintenance and that goes for humans too. Abe needs that wound cleaning 3x a day. Not once a day or every other day. 3x till there is no smell and closing up properly. Wash it with a mild soap non perfume then clean it with meds/cream you have. I personally would use Cinnamon Essential Oil as it has good research showing it to be potentially one of the strongest antibacterial essential oils. Maintenance is the key word! Here are some links you should start to read since your vets in that area were sleeping in class. Abe needs to build up his immune system asap.

https://healthyfocus.org/8-powerful-antibacterial-essential-oils/

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils-2.html

How to Use Essential Oils with Animals | DrEricZ.com

Mange & Parasite Oil ~ Natural Mange Treatment Remedy (scroll down on that page)

GREAT FOR ANY INFECTIONS NOT JUST EARS!!!! Btw [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] recipe. Thank you!
Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you can not follow Helene's suggestions, I would call the last vet,as he seemed to care, and tell him about the "smell". She is right,there should not be a disagreeable smell by now.There may still be infection under the scabbing. [MENTION=12710]HoldenIron[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you can not follow Helene's suggestions, I would call the last vet,as he seemed to care, and tell him about the "smell". She is right,there should not be a disagreeable smell by now.There may still be infection under the scabbing. @HoldenIron

Agreed... does look like it has some puss/infection under the scabs (yellowish color)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Has he been eating a bland diet as was suggested earlier? My son was having trouble getting his very old Lab to eat and he adds a meaty type soup or stew type soup to rice. Just watch the sodium levels, a no salt added would be alright. Anything to get him to eat would be good. Plus he will get fluids that way. Keep getting better Abe!!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)

That looks worse than it did before……OH I feel so awful for him, poor poor baby. He needs a follow-up (with the good vet), that wound needs medical care from a professional.

I'm so glad that you came here for advice and are doing all you can to help him…keep all the pictures (print them out) and start a file on this, he may not be the only dog that has suffered from this by that vet office. Your medical costs should most certainly be reimbursed by that place no matter WHAT you signed…because that is NOT NORMAL!! If you can muster up the courage, call them and tell them that your dog has been suffering from quite a severe reaction because of them and ask how they plan on handling it…maybe there will be no need for legal advice if they do the right thing and step up for his after care…you could have lost him because of this…that's unacceptable and they need to know that and be held accountable so that it doesn't happen again.

I'm very concerned about the looks of that wound and the smell you described (not good). When is his follow-up? Happy to hear that his energy seems to be up a bit…keep babying him like crazy and try to get him that follow-up asap (today or tomorrow if possible).

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Late to the game on this one -- but yikes that looks bad. I've dealt with hot spots before and while they can have a bad smell, they shouldn't have it after this long. If you can get to the tractor supply they likely sell chlorexidine rinse (my parents live on the other side of Florida off the beaten path, so I'm familiar with the store [emoji13]) -- you should dilute it with water but use this to wash the spot daily. Wash his ear too -- it looks like it has spread -- but make sure not to get water in his ear. This might be a two person job if he doesn't like the area being touched, someone can give him treats and make sure he doesn't nip. You should ask he vet for stronger antibiotics and be pushy about it if needed. After washing it, keep the area dry and clip down the fur if possible without hurting him. This is definitely not normal.

I see some have said that it might have been an unsterile needle but maybe the hot spot was stress induced or a combination? I know most vets won't do surgery and vaccinate in nearby timeframes because of potential reactions. Definitely don't take him back there, but it seems like you've already switched. I don't like the idea of you being given a muzzle, if they muzzled him at his neuter, that's very dangerous.

Sending good vibes your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Late to the game on this one -- but yikes that looks bad. I've dealt with hot spots before and while they can have a bad smell, they shouldn't have it after this long. If you can get to the tractor supply they likely sell chlorexidine rinse (my parents live on the other side of Florida off the beaten path, so I'm familiar with the store [emoji13]) -- you should dilute it with water but use this to wash the spot daily. Wash his ear too -- it looks like it has spread -- but make sure not to get water in his ear. This might be a two person job if he doesn't like the area being touched, someone can give him treats and make sure he doesn't nip. You should ask he vet for stronger antibiotics and be pushy about it if needed. After washing it, keep the area dry and clip down the fur if possible without hurting him. This is definitely not normal.

I see some have said that it might have been an unsterile needle but maybe the hot spot was stress induced or a combination? I know most vets won't do surgery and vaccinate in nearby timeframes because of potential reactions. Definitely don't take him back there, but it seems like you've already switched. I don't like the idea of you being given a muzzle, if they muzzled him at his neuter, that's very dangerous.

Sending good vibes your way.

Was so concentrated on the center wound didn't notice the left ear. It's even there.
[MENTION=12710]HoldenIron[/MENTION], I can speak for everyone here (ok mostly), we are concerned and truly hope you're on top of it. We are not here to point fingers. Whats done is done. Just get Abe back on track.The bland diet, boil a chicken, cut up carrots, celery, add herbs. Boil for 4 hours so the broth will have all the minerals from the bone. Like that you can avoid the sodium. Add it to Abe's rice with bits of chicken. (Remove all fats in broth and never feed cook fat to any dog!) This will give Abe more energy. Cut his meal throughout the day. Instead 2x a day put it to 4 little ones. Add a bit of ginger n turmeric as they are great for immune system.

OP
H

HoldenIron

Today's update...bathed him and cleansed that wound really well today....that took the smell away and he absolutely loved it while we gently rubbed the wound with the cleansing soap. The soap we are using is some type of hand soap that surgeons use before operating...I will get the name of it and post tomorrow.

most of the scabbing washed away...I agree with you all, the wound needs washing everyday. The last vet just said to keep spraying twice a day with the Betagen spray and said nothing of cleansing everyday...basically I left with the understanding to give him his meds and spray him twice a day and it should heal on its own...

starting tomorrow I'm taking charge. These vets don't seem to know didley...I was taught better wound trauma care when I was in the Marines.

so starting tomorrow he gets his meds and his spray and it's getting a good cleansing...after the cleansing and disenfecting I'm wiping the wound down with triple antibiotic ointment to keep the wound moist and keep him from scratching and further inflaming it. He is eating all his meals now and drinking so that is another promising mark in his recovery...I may even put some silverdyne on his wound.

i appreciate everyone here hanging in there with me...I can't tell how much of an ordeal it has been...now if we can get that wound to heal.

Attachments

• IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
OP
H

HoldenIron

Was so concentrated on the center wound didn't notice the left ear. It's even there.
@HoldenIron, I can speak for everyone here (ok mostly), we are concerned and truly hope you're on top of it. We are not here to point fingers. Whats done is done. Just get Abe back on track.The bland diet, boil a chicken, cut up carrots, celery, add herbs. Boil for 4 hours so the broth will have all the minerals from the bone. Like that you can avoid the sodium. Add it to Abe's rice with bits of chicken. (Remove all fats in broth and never feed cook fat to any dog!) This will give Abe more energy. Cut his meal throughout the day. Instead 2x a day put it to 4 little ones. Add a bit of ginger n turmeric as they are great for immune system.

We noticed it to next to his left ear and it turns out he was trying hard as he could to reach the wound and especially the scabbing to scratch at it and all he could reach was his ear and he was starting a hotspot there from it. Like I said in today's post tomorrow as we cleanse and disenfect the wound we are going to try triple antibiotic ointment or maybe silverdyne cream on the wound to keep it moist so he won't be so tempted to scratch at it as it heals

OP
H

HoldenIron

So glad to see some improvement day by day. You should post the first "vets" name, so no one else will go there! Thank God for the last vet you found,who between you and he, are saving Abe's life!

i would love nothing more than to tell you the name of the doctor and the clinic but I am a little apprehensive since I am not up on the legalities in doing so...last thing I need in this ordeal is to be sued for slander.

i will say this because it as close as I think I can get without actually naming names...the Vet and Clinic are located in the City limits of Panama City Florida.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Glad to hear the wound is starting to heal.The soap you say is used before operations might be something similar to the Hibiscrub that Castor's vet washed him with when he got a hot spot (on his neck too) last summer. It's a very strong chlorehexidine antiseptic soap. We then washed Castor daily with another also strong chlorehexidine shampoo for a week and only after a few days the change was amazing. The shampoo we used was called TrizChlor4. So glad that you have now come in touch with a better vet and hope Abe is feeling better.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
We noticed it to next to his left ear and it turns out he was trying hard as he could to reach the wound and especially the scabbing to scratch at it and all he could reach was his ear and he was starting a hotspot there from it. Like I said in today's post tomorrow as we cleanse and disenfect the wound we are going to try triple antibiotic ointment or maybe silverdyne cream on the wound to keep it moist so he won't be so tempted to scratch at it as it heals

I'm glad you're taking charge! Sometimes we just know our bullies better than anyone. Good call on the washing and cleansing. One piece of advice -- hot spots won't heal if kept moist, but I realize that antibiotic ointment can help and provide some itch relief, so maybe try to keep it dry for a bit after you cleanse it so a scab can form and heal, and then apply ointment after the wound has had some time to breathe. Keep an eye on that ear! Fingers crossed things start to get better. Definitely try the broth recipe, it's important to keep him hydrated and eating.

OP
H

HoldenIron

Glad to hear the wound is starting to heal.The soap you say is used before operations might be something similar to the Hibiscrub that Castor's vet washed him with when he got a hot spot (on his neck too) last summer. It's a very strong chlorehexidine antiseptic soap. We then washed Castor daily with another also strong chlorehexidine shampoo for a week and only after a few days the change was amazing. The shampoo we used was called TrizChlor4. So glad that you have now come in touch with a better vet and hope Abe is feeling better.
Yep that's it!!....Hibiscrub...is the shampoo/soap we are using when washing the wound.

Most Reactions