Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I hope you get him to a good bully vet ASAP. That other vet is an idiot. I hope and pray your boy pulls through this.

OP
H

HoldenIron

Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

Betagen Spray on the area twice a day.
cephalexin twice a day oral
previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...

Please give us updates as you are able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thank goodness!!!
Betagen spray is topical - it will help with any itches or pain.
Cephalexin is the antiboitic (this is the one he really needed)
Previcox is an anti-inflammatory med that will also give him some relief pain wise!

For the next few days feed him a bland diet since you dont want his belly empty with the meds. Try boiling some rice & chicken/or hamburger... add in scrambled eggs, and see if he'll eat that. It will also help hydrate him since the rice & chicken are boiled. So happy you got him seen, and he's on the road to recovery. Poor Abe. Please don't ever go back to that other vet, ever.

previcox once a day oral

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Yippee! Get better soon little buddy.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Yay!! So pleased to hear the news and that Abe is being taken care of by a competent vet. You must be so relieved! Get well soon Abe!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good Lord...

I'm SO sorry to hear what has happened, but first and foremost I can NOT stress this enough... If for ANY reason you feel that your dog is in an emergency situation, and the vet's office is brushing you off... PLEASE TAKE YOUR DOG IMMEDIATELY TO ANOTHER VET!!! I can NOT believe that a vet would send you w/a muzzle and instructions on how to care for a severely infected wound like that.

I'm glad that your boy is on the mend, and I sincerely hope that you call your previous vets office and talk to whomever is in charge of that facility... their conduct in this manner is absolutely horrific. I would threaten charges... no reputable vet would treat a patient in that manner.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
So glad to hear Abe is on the mend, he has been on our minds....sending prayers and love from me and Ellie

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

previcox once a day oral

So so happy he is getting the right treatment... tears in my eyes knowing he is going to be OK. Hugs to Abe and please keep us posted

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am telling you, in my next life I want to be the "supreme court Judge! " that wooden hammer would be in good use!

This is the part that i would use my wooden hammer.........."I talked again yesterday with the vet that did the procedure and gave him the vaccine and she was quick to tell me although she was sorry for Abe's condition we where notified that any and all procedures and vaccines for an English Bulldog was dangerous and that's why they had us sign waivers for liability prior to leaving him with them because he is consider very high risk. She said we could bring him back in but she could not guarantee anything and that we would still would be bound by the waivers for liability if anything happens to him."

Any vet that wants you to sign ANY paperwork like so.....I would walk out ASAP! I just dont get how many vets even doctors are in their field. How on earth did they pass their exams I have no clue. They should be fired before hired!

But.......right now our little Abe is on the right path!! Please dont be upset if we all ganged on you, we just get frustrated when were hear "issues" like your Abe. We just don't want anything happening to Abe or anydog. We're just trying to help and we get nervous not knowing what's happening till you answer back. Hope we didn't scare you. We just care. We're like a bunch of mother hens. :yes:

OP
H

HoldenIron

I am telling you, in my next life I want to be the "supreme court Judge! " that wooden hammer would be in good use!

This is the part that i would use my wooden hammer.........."I talked again yesterday with the vet that did the procedure and gave him the vaccine and she was quick to tell me although she was sorry for Abe's condition we where notified that any and all procedures and vaccines for an English Bulldog was dangerous and that's why they had us sign waivers for liability prior to leaving him with them because he is consider very high risk. She said we could bring him back in but she could not guarantee anything and that we would still would be bound by the waivers for liability if anything happens to him."

Any vet that wants you to sign ANY paperwork like so.....I would walk out ASAP! I just dont get how many vets even doctors are in their field. How on earth did they pass their exams I have no clue. They should be fired before hired!

But.......right now our little Abe is on the right path!! Please dont be upset if we all ganged on you, we just get frustrated when were hear "issues" like your Abe. We just don't want anything happening to Abe or anydog. We're just trying to help and we get nervous not knowing what's happening till you answer back. Hope we didn't scare you. We just care. We're like a bunch of mother hens. :yes:

I understand, no harm no foul....it was just difficult trying to figure out what to do and who to see really...the first vet messed up so bad and I wasn't about to take Abe back to them....the second vet acted like he didn't want to see Abe because of the condition he was in and sent me home with a muzzle and instructions on how to cleanse the wound....I'm very rural and vets are few and far between around here.

the good news is I think Abe is on the mend and secondly I was able to find a new vet realatively close who appears competent and actually cared about Abe's wellbeing...I will take my blessings where and when I can get them...

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

previcox once a day oral

I see that you are way up there in the panhandle. A lot of people who are not all that familiar with Florida do not know how rural parts of Florida are. I can see how you might have had difficulty finding other veterinary care.
I am glad that Abe is doing better he has been heavy on my mind. We are all rooting for him (and you, of course). Please do continue to update us.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I understand, no harm no foul....it was just difficult trying to figure out what to do and who to see really...the first vet messed up so bad and I wasn't about to take Abe back to them....the second vet acted like he didn't want to see Abe because of the condition he was in and sent me home with a muzzle and instructions on how to cleanse the wound....I'm very rural and vets are few and far between around here.

the good news is I think Abe is on the mend and secondly I was able to find a new vet realatively close who appears competent and actually cared about Abe's wellbeing...I will take my blessings where and when I can get them...

I understand your predicament about being in a rural area, it has taken me YEARS to find a competent vet that I trust... that is why I stress to people on here to find a good vet before there is an emergency. Call & ask them IF they are familiar w/bully breeds, and meet them in person w/your dog and watch their demeanor. If a vet complains about all the "issues" that an english bulldog has then that is not a person you want dealing w/your dog. Some bulldogs have chronic issues, and I believe that the vet/patient relationship works best as a team... everybody being on the same page.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is Abe doing today? Can you post an updated picture?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.