Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Yay!! So pleased to hear the news and that Abe is being taken care of by a competent vet. You must be so relieved! Get well soon Abe!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

2. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Good Lord...

I'm SO sorry to hear what has happened, but first and foremost I can NOT stress this enough... If for ANY reason you feel that your dog is in an emergency situation, and the vet's office is brushing you off... PLEASE TAKE YOUR DOG IMMEDIATELY TO ANOTHER VET!!! I can NOT believe that a vet would send you w/a muzzle and instructions on how to care for a severely infected wound like that.

I'm glad that your boy is on the mend, and I sincerely hope that you call your previous vets office and talk to whomever is in charge of that facility... their conduct in this manner is absolutely horrific. I would threaten charges... no reputable vet would treat a patient in that manner.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Bulldog Vet in Training MFrey2012's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ellie
    Likes (Received)

So glad to hear Abe is on the mend, he has been on our minds....sending prayers and love from me and Ellie

Thanks and much Love,

Melissa - Ellie's Mom

5. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenIron View Post
    Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

Betagen Spray on the area twice a day.
    cephalexin twice a day oral
    previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...
    So so happy he is getting the right treatment... tears in my eyes knowing he is going to be OK. Hugs to Abe and please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I am telling you, in my next life I want to be the "supreme court Judge! " that wooden hammer would be in good use!

This is the part that i would use my wooden hammer.........."I talked again yesterday with the vet that did the procedure and gave him the vaccine and she was quick to tell me although she was sorry for Abe's condition we where notified that any and all procedures and vaccines for an English Bulldog was dangerous and that's why they had us sign waivers for liability prior to leaving him with them because he is consider very high risk. She said we could bring him back in but she could not guarantee anything and that we would still would be bound by the waivers for liability if anything happens to him."

Any vet that wants you to sign ANY paperwork like so.....I would walk out ASAP! I just dont get how many vets even doctors are in their field. How on earth did they pass their exams I have no clue. They should be fired before hired!

But.......right now our little Abe is on the right path!! Please dont be upset if we all ganged on you, we just get frustrated when were hear "issues" like your Abe. We just don't want anything happening to Abe or anydog. We're just trying to help and we get nervous not knowing what's happening till you answer back. Hope we didn't scare you. We just care. We're like a bunch of mother hens.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    I am telling you, in my next life I want to be the "supreme court Judge! " that wooden hammer would be in good use!

This is the part that i would use my wooden hammer.........."I talked again yesterday with the vet that did the procedure and gave him the vaccine and she was quick to tell me although she was sorry for Abe's condition we where notified that any and all procedures and vaccines for an English Bulldog was dangerous and that's why they had us sign waivers for liability prior to leaving him with them because he is consider very high risk. She said we could bring him back in but she could not guarantee anything and that we would still would be bound by the waivers for liability if anything happens to him."

Any vet that wants you to sign ANY paperwork like so.....I would walk out ASAP! I just dont get how many vets even doctors are in their field. How on earth did they pass their exams I have no clue. They should be fired before hired!

But.......right now our little Abe is on the right path!! Please dont be upset if we all ganged on you, we just get frustrated when were hear "issues" like your Abe. We just don't want anything happening to Abe or anydog. We're just trying to help and we get nervous not knowing what's happening till you answer back. Hope we didn't scare you. We just care. We're like a bunch of mother hens.
    I understand, no harm no foul....it was just difficult trying to figure out what to do and who to see really...the first vet messed up so bad and I wasn't about to take Abe back to them....the second vet acted like he didn't want to see Abe because of the condition he was in and sent me home with a muzzle and instructions on how to cleanse the wound....I'm very rural and vets are few and far between around here.

the good news is I think Abe is on the mend and secondly I was able to find a new vet realatively close who appears competent and actually cared about Abe's wellbeing...I will take my blessings where and when I can get them...

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

Betagen Spray on the area twice a day.
    cephalexin twice a day oral
    previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...
    I see that you are way up there in the panhandle. A lot of people who are not all that familiar with Florida do not know how rural parts of Florida are. I can see how you might have had difficulty finding other veterinary care.
    I am glad that Abe is doing better he has been heavy on my mind. We are all rooting for him (and you, of course). Please do continue to update us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I understand, no harm no foul....it was just difficult trying to figure out what to do and who to see really...the first vet messed up so bad and I wasn't about to take Abe back to them....the second vet acted like he didn't want to see Abe because of the condition he was in and sent me home with a muzzle and instructions on how to cleanse the wound....I'm very rural and vets are few and far between around here.

the good news is I think Abe is on the mend and secondly I was able to find a new vet realatively close who appears competent and actually cared about Abe's wellbeing...I will take my blessings where and when I can get them...
    I understand your predicament about being in a rural area, it has taken me YEARS to find a competent vet that I trust... that is why I stress to people on here to find a good vet before there is an emergency. Call & ask them IF they are familiar w/bully breeds, and meet them in person w/your dog and watch their demeanor. If a vet complains about all the "issues" that an english bulldog has then that is not a person you want dealing w/your dog. Some bulldogs have chronic issues, and I believe that the vet/patient relationship works best as a team... everybody being on the same page.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

How is Abe doing today? Can you post an updated picture?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

@HoldenIron - Yes, please logged in just to check on Abe and see how's he's doing - and get an updated pic just like Christine.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    How is Abe doing today? Can you post an updated picture?

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

I am so relieved that you have found a GOOD vet,who actually CARED about Abe! Now he is on the road to recovery,and you have done the right thing! I am so proud that you did not give up! Prayers and good wishes for you and Abe! Thank you for not giving up!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Updating...sorry so late today...been very busy. Abe woke up this morning and still acted like he didn't feel good, didn't want to go out to use the restroom or eat r drink and when he came back in he headed straight back under the bed...

By afternoon he wandered out to the living room and wanted attention. So we loved on him awhile and he took his medicine. His wound is no longer bright red but a dark red/brown color.

By this evening he ate some and was drinking some...at supper he rolled into the kitchen sniffing around the stove looking for stuff we might have dropped on the floor.

I would say as the day progressed he seemed to act like he was feeling better.

I will get a new picture up in the morning and update again after breakfast.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads