Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

Quote Originally Posted by HoldenIron View Post
    Abe made it through the night and actually he appeared to have slept better than he did the last few days. I'm trying to get in to see another vet. His wound looks better but still pretty bad. Going to clean and disenfect again in a little while and give him his medicine. I really think the good disenfecting and cleaning we gave him yesterday really helped.

I talked again yesterday with the vet that did the procedure and gave him the vaccine and she was quick to tell me although she was sorry for Abe's condition we where notified that any and all procedures and vaccines for an English Bulldog was dangerous and that's why they had us sign waivers for liability prior to leaving him with them because he is consider very high risk. She said we could bring him back in but she could not guarantee anything and that we would still would be bound by the waivers for liability if anything happens to him. At this point I don't want him going anywhere near that clinic.

i wish now I would not have gone down this road to start with.
    I am in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. Where are you in FL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

I would like to cut loose & use bad language but have learned temperance in my old age.

Also, I'm more overwhelmingly heartbroken for all Abe has had to suffer & still suffering

No matter what caused this issue, the Vet should have sedated then shaved the wound and
    cleansed it. Then given IV fluids & pain meds and antibiotics.

As all are suggesting here, please take to a different Vet to get Abe some relief asap and meds
    to stop infection or it will be a miracle that he lives thru this.

You can buy large syringes at Walmart to feed puppies, use to syringe water and/or diluted (unsalted)
    beef broth into the sides of his mouth (warm slightly). Once he seems interested, cook plain white rice,
    add beef broth and cooked, boiled hamburger (drained) & mix together, can serve in 1 cup meals every
    4 hrs or so until he's stronger. Leave fresh, cold water down at all times to tempt him to drink, give ice
    cubes, etc and keep up syringing water into his mouth.

Praying, praying, praying for Abe & y'all.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post
    I would like to cut loose & use bad language but have learned temperance in my old age.

Also, I'm more overwhelmingly heartbroken for all Abe has had to suffer & still suffering

No matter what caused this issue, the Vet should have sedated then shaved the wound and
    cleansed it. Then given IV fluids & pain meds and antibiotics.

As all are suggesting here, please take to a different Vet to get Abe some relief asap and meds
    to stop infection or it will be a miracle that he lives thru this.

You can buy large syringes at Walmart to feed puppies, use to syringe water and/or diluted (unsalted)
    beef broth into the sides of his mouth (warm slightly). Once he seems interested, cook plain white rice,
    add beef broth and cooked, boiled hamburger (drained) & mix together, can serve in 1 cup meals every
    4 hrs or so until he's stronger. Leave fresh, cold water down at all times to tempt him to drink, give ice
    cubes, etc and keep up syringing water into his mouth.

Praying, praying, praying for Abe & y'all.
    Great great straightforward advice and directions.

5. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, 1Chumly liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I just can not believe what I'm reading,

I pray Abe gets some help from someone and is treated right for this if it was me I wouldn't wait for an appointment I would just take him to the emergency vet straight away.

7. Likes Texas Carol, dieMuttivonBifi liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ftse 100 View Post
    I just can not believe what I'm reading,

I pray Abe gets some help from someone and is treated right for this if it was me I wouldn't wait for an appointment I would just take him to the emergency vet straight away.

Yes...at this point, I believe Julie is correct, get him to an ER Vet & please update us!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

9. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    The second Vet never saw the patient. OP said he was too sick to travel so they took pics to show Vet #2...which makes no sense to me. For a dog that is near death, there's no such thing as too sick to travel.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I was so mad I couldn't see straight! I hope he has seen a vet by now. If you have an emergency, any vet will see you, at least in my experience. It doesn't have to be an emergency vet. I am sorry to say I have picked up too many creatures by the side of the road and I have never come across a vet that didn't rise to the occasion. This is not a time to wait for an appointment.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

11. Likes oscarmayer, Texas Carol liked this post
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

I hope you get him to a good bully vet ASAP. That other vet is an idiot. I hope and pray your boy pulls through this.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

13. Likes Texas Carol, dieMuttivonBifi liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

Betagen Spray on the area twice a day.
    cephalexin twice a day oral
    previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abraham "Abe"
    Likes (Received)

Attachment 103401Here's an updated pic since we came home

16. Likes NIZZLE liked this post
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daphne
    Likes (Received)

Ok folks here's an update....I got a vet to look at him in Chipley Fl. I found on google that I didn't know was in my general area. He took Abe and shaved the area, no anesthetic but Abe did alright. Abe was running a good fever so he immediately gave him an anti-biotic injection. Also gave him an anti inflammatory injection. Then he sprayed the area with a medicine called Betagen that he sent us home with. He also sent us home with a pain medication and another oral antibiotic..

heres a list of the meds sent home with us although I'm not sure which pill s a pain pill and which is the antibiotic..

previcox once a day oral

he asked which clinic did the procedure and I told him..he shook his head up and down but didn't say one way or the other whether he thought the vet there was competent or not.

since we have gotten home Abe is drinking some, still not eating but we are hopeful. He said Abe should pull through and within a week his wounds should look better. I appreciate everyone's prayers in the matter...
    Please give us updates as you are able.

18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Thank goodness!!!
    Betagen spray is topical - it will help with any itches or pain.
    Cephalexin is the antiboitic (this is the one he really needed)
    Previcox is an anti-inflammatory med that will also give him some relief pain wise!

For the next few days feed him a bland diet since you dont want his belly empty with the meds. Try boiling some rice & chicken/or hamburger... add in scrambled eggs, and see if he'll eat that. It will also help hydrate him since the rice & chicken are boiled. So happy you got him seen, and he's on the road to recovery. Poor Abe. Please don't ever go back to that other vet, ever.

previcox once a day oral

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and dozer
    Likes (Received)

Yippee! Get better soon little buddy.

21. Likes KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Remove Ads