Abe is having a nasty bleed on his head...help please!

H

HoldenIron

Took Abe to be neutered on Tuesday. While there he got his nails trimmed and another Rabbies vaccine. He slept all day after picking him up on Tuesday.

Wednesday eveningt I noticed some blood running down into his hair. He had a small spot at the base of his head at the top of his shoulders that was oozing some blood...by Thursday it was larger and we where keeping an eye on it. By Saturday it was the size of a 50 cent piece, raw and bloody and the blood was mating in big globs in his fur.

This morning we put him on on a table and washed his head and neck to clean all the blood and crust out. He now has a large area that is exsposed meat and is oozing badly. I cleaned and sprayed it with Vetericyn wound and skin care...

He will be 3 in may...eats Blue Buffalo Life protection formula lamb and brown rice recipe. He has never had allergies or hot spots. He has been a picture of perfect health.

Is is it possible he is having a reaction from the rabbies vaccine? Is the base of the head at the shoulders where a rabbies vaccine would be given?

Can I put peroxide on it with some gold bonds medicated powered to try and dry the wound up?

OP
H

HoldenIron

FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tgat is a hotspot.... shave the area and keep it clean use peroxide at first .... they can be from weaken immune system or stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

HoldenIron

Called the Vet and our Vet is out if town till Wednesday...the nurse on the phone told me to go to Tractor Supply and pick up some powdered medicine called "Wonder dust"...get this...it's intended use is for "Horses and Show Animals"...
ingredients are:
Iodoform 2%
Potassium Alum 5%
Flowers of Sulfur 2%
Tannic Acid 2%
Activated Charcoal 5%
Copper Sulfate 13%
Hydrated Lime 71%
Is a powder like flour that you squirt on the wound...supposed to coagulate the wound and medicate. Within seconds of applying the bleeding stopped. There was to much raised raw flesh to shave the area but hopefully it is healing....time will tell...will give an update in a few days.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have used Wonderdust on injuries many times over the years. It sounds to me that [MENTION=12710]HoldenIron[/MENTION] Abe had a bad reaction to the Rabies shot,or the needle wasn't sterile.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, it sounds like reaction to Rabies shot.

You might get a waiver from your Vet (check on State laws),
at the very least, get your Bully titrated before each shot to
see if he can avoid getting them based on enough immunity.

Praying for your baby, please let us know how he is doing.

OP
H

HoldenIron

Well gang I promised to keep you updated...Abe is just about gone I'm sad to say...he hasn't eaten since Saturday night...and until this morning he wouldn't drink either, we did manage to get fluids in him after breakfast time...he crawled under the bed last night and didn't want to come out...

so fearing the worst we had that "what if talk" with our sons this morning ages 8 and 10...after talking to the one other Vet in our area and showing pictures (Abe is to sick to travel) she agreed Abe probably had a severe reaction to the rabies vaccine..she gave us a full head muzzle and sent us home with more medicine.

we muzzled him and was able to cut out most of the skin and fur that had turned into a nasty lesion and looked like an abcess...it was horrible to say the least. I have never seen so much puss and dead skin coming off with the fur attached...I have to admit I had to stop once and go throw up...the smell was to much....we poured almost 2 quart sized bottles of peroxide on the wound and got it cleaned up pretty good.

His favorite things in the world is peanut butter and bacon...we tried putting his pills first in peanut butter and then rolled them in bacon but he wouldn't even eat that...I got bit trying to force them down his mouth.

my little boys are heart broke, my dog is almost dead and I'm mad as hell at the Vet that did this....if any of you pray please pray for Abe tonight...it will be touch and go for a few days I'm afraid if we got the infection cleaned out in time.

NIZZLE

Nov 22, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and dozer
Well gang I promised to keep you updated...Abe is just about gone I'm sad to say...he hasn't eaten since Saturday night...and until this morning he wouldn't drink either, we did manage to get fluids in him after breakfast time...he crawled under the bed last night and didn't want to come out...

so fearing the worst we had that "what if talk" with our sons this morning ages 8 and 10...after talking to the one other Vet in our area and showing pictures (Abe is to sick to travel) she agreed Abe probably had a severe reaction to the rabies vaccine..she gave us a full head muzzle and sent us home with more medicine.

we muzzled him and was able to cut out most of the skin and fur that had turned into a nasty lesion and looked like an abcess...it was horrible to say the least. I have never seen so much puss and dead skin coming off with the fur attached...I have to admit I had to stop once and go throw up...the smell was to much....we poured almost 2 quart sized bottles of peroxide on the wound and got it cleaned up pretty good.

His favorite things in the world is peanut butter and bacon...we tried putting his pills first in peanut butter and then rolled them in bacon but he wouldn't even eat that...I got bit trying to force them down his mouth.

my little boys are heart broke, my dog is almost dead and I'm mad as hell at the Vet that did this....if any of you pray please pray for Abe tonight...it will be touch and go for a few days I'm afraid if we got the infection cleaned out in time.
Sending good vibes you are a better person than me I would of went crazy in the vet I basically admitted to killing your dog I'm very sorry you are going though this.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
PRAYING FOR ABE, PLEASE GOD TOUCH ABE AND HEAL HIM, MAKE THIS PRECIOUS ONE WELL, IN JESUS NAME AMEN. GIVE ABE A KISS AND HUG FROM ME.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
PLEASE bring ABE to another vet-don't just let him die! Praying that you do and praying for Abe to survive this.:pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would be all over that vet. But for now it's having Abe getting healthy. Must be a way for him to see a vet. Craddle him in your arms and have someone drive to the vet. Sending Abe positive vibes......:pray2:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Please get him to another vet, an ER vet anyone.... just scoop him up and take him. This doesn't seem like something that should take his life, please! If he hasn't eaten or drank they need to put him IV fluids. I can't believe the vet you took him too just let you go home. He probably needs to be admitted for a few days in urgent care.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Get him to an emergency Vet Now! He's not too weak to travel anywhere! If he's just going to die then what difference could too weak to travel make? He needs IV fluids and IV antibiotics. He needs a competent Vet. Please take him NOW!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.