SMSiegman

Jan 17, 2016
California Bay Area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Red
Hi All,

I'm worried. My Red had surgery yesterday for Entropian and also Palate surgery. The surgeries went well but this morning he sounds very congested. Is that normal after surgery and what can I do to help him?

Thank you
Sue

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Not trying to scare you, but I would get him back to the vet asap... his throat may be swollen due to the surgery. Does his breathing seem ok?

Hi All,

I'm worried. My Red had surgery yesterday for Entropian and also Palate surgery. The surgeries went well but this morning he sounds very congested. Is that normal after surgery and what can I do to help him?

Thank you
Sue

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I agree. Back to the vet-worth a check!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Do NOT wait, go now!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Speaking from a personal experience I had with Tyson after surgery, I'd still recommend getting him to the vet. There shouldn't be any kind of rumbly noises, just scares me because if his throat is irritated or swollen, things can turn for the worst fast. And I mean fast. I would get him to the vet so they can check him out, and maybe give him a medication to help with inflammation or help settle the area.

Yes he is breathing okay it just sounds sort of rumbly

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi All,

Thank you
Sue

Not normal at all... get him back to the vet today... ER if you have to, congestion is not something to be messed with on a Bulldog. It can very quickly turn into pneumonia

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, please go back to the vet for a check up. Castor did snore the day after his surgery, but I wouldn't describe the sound that came out of him as congested. Let us know how Red's doing!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with others above, always better to be safe than sorry. It could be inflammation after the surgery, but it could also be caused from the anesthetic, or him inhaling fluids after surgery. I would definitely take him back to the vet and have him checked out. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Speaking from personal experience, you MUST take him back to the vet ASAP!!! This could become a life or death situation...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Any news on if this baby was brought to the vet?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
No updates is troubling.

Most Reactions

Members online