I'm back ... MAX Has Raw, Red, Irritated Face and Wrinkles AGAIN !

Shar Pei Lover

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks everyone for your input ....

I've taken Max off of the WELLNESS CORE (Chicken/Turkey) and will give him only the TOTW (Lamb) and maybe CALIFORNIA NATURAL (Lamb) both of which are Grain-Free. Yes, this "Food trial" needs to last about 12-Weeks before I determine if poultry was the culprit ......

I also read about PRECISE dog food ..... meant for dogs with allergies.
Does anyone know about this food ???

Thanks.

- Patrick

My vet suggested for my girl Shar Pei Natural Balance Duck/Potato. He said stay away from Lamb as it crosses over as a beef allergy. Duck does not. She is doing great on the food, now have both of them on it, 4th month now, no skin irritations but still fighting the yeast smell by bathing once a week with Duoxo Chlorahexidine shampoo. Anyone have a cheaper but effective shampoo?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I think you may have to also consider as [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said that it could also be potatoes causing the problem. to much starch can be as bad as to much grain for some dogs. So if taking him off chicken doesnt help maybe a limit ingredient lamb and rice food. the only time sarah has had problems with her chin and with the wrinkles beside her nose is when i fed her a food that was not agreeable. once i changed she would get better. I believe totw lamb is only 25% protein which leaves alot of carbs in the food. with the wrinkles maybe since the other stuff is not working try some peroxide to clean and some neosporin to heal. I hope max gets better as i know how frustrating it is to not be able to fix your pet.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Hello All ---

The update after seeing the VET is that Maximus has pyoderma and dermatitis. He said not to change the diet, because it is not caused by food ----- He put Maximus on 30-days of Antibiotics, with antibiotic powder for his wrinkles, and a chlorhexidine flush for his tail-pocket,
plus medicated baths twice per week.

The TOTW is only 25% protein, and is heavy on the potatoes, both sweet potatoes and regular potatoes - so maybe that does have something to do with his skin conditions.

I do have the PRECISE Lamb and Rice formula that he will also eat but that is even less protein at 22%.

Any ideas .....??

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i have found it doesnt necessarily matter how much protein is in it but if your dog is allergic to that particular protein or what else is in the food such as some dogs dont do well on grains and some cant take the potatoes or tapioca that is in some foods. I have fed sarah many many foods over the last 2 years and she is at the moment on a food that is 22% protein. I have fed her foods with 30% protein. I do prefer a food with a bit more protein but at the moment im more interested in her yeast isssues. You just rule things out one at a time. I think you were going to start with the chicken and then if no improvement then try the lamb and rice formula see if maybe the potatoes is doing it. Its really trial and error I wish I could tell you the right food off the bat but at the moment Im still working on sarahs but she is so much better now than when i started. I think maybe i have found it but im afraid to say it out loud and jinx it. I so hope maximus gets better he is so cute.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.