I'm back ... MAX Has Raw, Red, Irritated Face and Wrinkles AGAIN !

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
You know..I was reading some reviews on the Mal a ket wipes and found some people thought they were too harsh. I use Douxo Chlorhexidine 3% wipes for Gator and LOVE them. They are a little more gentle than the Mal a ket.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I did buy the Douxo Chlorhexidine wipes also, and have been using them.

Max was at the VET again today, since it appears alot of this is Allery related - so again he got a Dexamethasone injection and will be on Prednisone oral for 14-days.

Try as I might, I can't seem to keep his wrinkles dry, and with constant moisture build up, the skin is breaking down, so even with the Mal-a-Ket wipes, the Douxo Chlorhexidine wipes, and the Desitin ointment, I'm not seeing much of an improvement ........

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did you ask your vet about panalog ointment??? [MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]

BIG MAC

Apr 17, 2011
Dermachlor K Flush works phenomenal for the wrinkles

dries them right up and gets rid of the red

mac's wrinkles were always raw and required thorough daily cleanings until I started this stuff

after 3-4 days of use they were clear for weeks

ask your vet for a bottle(think it's about $20)

It may also be available on the net without a script

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2238]BIG MAC[/MENTION] I might give that a try. How do you use it? I did look it up and it says for wounds and yeast issues for use on cats, dogs, and horses.

BIG MAC

Apr 17, 2011
it's an anti-septic for dermatological conditions with antiseptic, antimicrobial, anti-fungal, cleansing and deodorizing formulation.

It supposedly works for a lot of things but it definitely did the job for my dogs wrinkles, he actually has hair growing between them now when before it was just all raw redness.

you squirt it on and then wipe the excess with a cotton ball, it also has something in it to make it not burn.

edit: it is also great for cleaning your dogs ears, the stuff has a great cherry smell to it

Bella Cows Mama

Feb 4, 2011
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella Cow
Poor Bella has had some major ups and downs with her face issues. She has allergies and gets gunk in her wrinkles. One night they will all be fine and then the next night there will be a huge sore spot in one of her wrinkles. She also has been battling some "acne on her jowels and chin area. I tried so many things and swear by 3 that I have found. 1st off, I hated desitin! It just doesn't compare to Triple Paste Ointment. That will clear up a bad raw spot in a day or two. My nightly routine with Bella has been to use wet wipes in all her wrinkles and wipe her chin, jowels, and turkey neck. Then I use witch hazel on her raw spots and her chin/jowels. I rub everything down gently with a dry cloth and blow in her wrinkles (she loves that part). Then I apply triple paste to all wrinkles and aquaphor to the rest of her face. These have been a magic combination and have done wonders for her.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, I can't support the "Less is More" recommendation when it comes to Max's wrinkles ...... If I do not care for them daily, they will get worse, red, raw, crusty and then I have a major problem trying to clean them .....

As for his water ...... I don't think when he drinks he gets the water anywhere near the 2 wrinkles on either side of his nose that is the problem, so that's not the problem either.

He is using all Stainless steel water and food bowls - NO PLASTIC.

I've used both Mal-a-Ket wipes and the Duoxo wipes - neither seems to help heal the red, raw irritated wrinkles.

I've used DESITIN, and that doesn't "heal" anything either.....

I have Stridex pads, use them, I see no difference.....

I've used Gold Bond powder, and I'm not seeing any difference......unless I should be applying it twice a day ....should I ?

I have Chlorhexidine skin cleanser and Chlorhexidine shampoo ......
the skin cleanser is 4% Chlorhexidine and should be powerful enough
to heal the irritations .... but I would have to use it daily .....

Max is on TASTE OF THE WILD GRAIN-FREE SIERRA MOUNTAIN FORMULA - which is Lamb, and he is also on WELLNESS CORE GRAIN-FREE Reduced Fat dog food.

At this point, I think I am going to have him seen by a VET Dermatologist/Allergist...

I've also thought about changing his food to NATURAL BALANCE Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Diet, like Chicken and sweet potatoe, or Duck and sweet potatoe.

But first I think he needs to be evaluated by a Dermatologist ...........

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] I would switch to a food that is poulty and grain free. Maybe Natural Balance LID...I think there is a salmon formula? Taking him to a Dermatologist is a good idea. Often they can help you figure out what is causing the issues.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..Jake was on natural balance..they do have a salmon..but pretty potato heavy..might be bad for his problem! How about Fromm..but get the beef frittata..grain free and NO poultry! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] loves this one! It's our next choice!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Interesting. Do you think CHICKEN is the problem ???

The WELLNESS CORE is Chicken and Turkey, plus I give Max fresh cooked chicken as well.

I have FROMM Beef fritata, and Max doesn't like it --- he really doesn't like beef..

Max has always been a Lamb guy ..... from the days when I was having to give him fresh cooked ground Lamb with sweet potatoes due to his giardia (and diarrhea). I feed Max the TASTE OF THE WILD because it is Lamb.

Perhaps I should eliminate the WELLNESS CORE and only feed him the TOTW and see if anything changes .....

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] that is a good idea. I would move away from chicken and grains quickly. Also, just wanted to comment on the desitin...it is really meant as a protective barrier against the moisture so that the skin can heal. Not necessarily as a med or anything. Just so that once the area is super dry, it will help repel any more moisture.

At any rate, food seems to be the #1 culprit when it comes to allergy issues. Sometimes just a change in food will take care of it. Keep in mind it could take a couple of weeks for it to really be visible.

MillersandMollysmom

Jun 11, 2011
california
Bulldog(s) Names
Miller and Molly
Miller gets that problem all the time. Sometimes it's related to allergies....He's allergic to everything. We use a ointment we got from the vet called derma-vet ointment. It is nystatin-neomycin sulfate ointment.....bullies tend to get yeast infections in there folds and this stuff clears it right up. We will wipe his folds with a dry washcloth.... he never did well with the wipes. Hope this helps.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Thanks everyone for your input ....

I've taken Max off of the WELLNESS CORE (Chicken/Turkey) and will give him only the TOTW (Lamb) and maybe CALIFORNIA NATURAL (Lamb) both of which are Grain-Free. Yes, this "Food trial" needs to last about 12-Weeks before I determine if poultry was the culprit ......

I also read about PRECISE dog food ..... meant for dogs with allergies.
Does anyone know about this food ???

Thanks.

- Patrick

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I would take him to a dermatologist.. we did 7 different food trials for Duke.. finally gave in and took him to a vet dermatologist and had him tested and he was allergic to wool :(... i just think once you know what he is sensitive to it will make your life easier?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.