Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Reggie is sick :(

He has had a few days of trouble with poop. Starts off firm & normal in the morning, and gradually gets softer & softer through the day, and is also pooping A LOT each time, apart from the runniest ones in the evening.
No blood or mucus though, so thats a good thing.
Then yesterday he got worse. He refused his morning meal - which has NEVER happened, and didn't drink much either. The he had pretty bad diarreah and had a lay down. He did have a couple of ice cubes, so an hour or so later I put half a feed down for him, softened with water, and he ate it. But then he sicked it all back up :(
Managed to get an appointment with the vet (who thank God is open for regular hours on a Sunday, so not an emergency appointment!), and she has diagnosed him with gastroenteritis and said there is a huge amount of it in our area at the moment, and they are seeing a massive amount of dogs with a sickness and diarreah bug.

So we left the vets with anti-biotics and pro-biotics, and left a fecal sample there to test for giardia etc. And instructions that if he continues to be sick today then we have to bring him straight back in for a stomach xray incase he has eaten anything he shouldn't.

This morning he turned his nose up at his food again, so I made him scrambled egg and he ate it, and kept it down. Then he had a very small amount of his kibble. Still not drinking much so we are giving him as many ice cubes as he likes.

Hopefully he'll get better soon! We'll keep you all updated :)
If there are any other members in the South West UK, keep an eye on your bullies. According to the vet this bug is a nasty one

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Poor Reggie, as he recuperates I'd keep his diet bland. So some boiled rice, egg, lean ground meat or turkey. Things that are easy on the belly, and not too rich. Don't give him any kibble yet. You can add a little water to the food as well so he stays hydrated. Get better soon Reggie! Hugs!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor bugger.... hope it passes quickly and he is back to himself soon.

I agree with Jessica... bland diet till he is better keep the tummy settled.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Poor little Reggie! Bland food definitely, as [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] says. I've boiled round-grained rice (a vet we talked to once said it's better for bland food) for a long time in a lot of water and then add small pieces of chicken breast (no skin, just meat) and let it cook so that it turns into a stew-like soup. Serve when it's no longer warm in tiny portions, several times a day.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Get well soon, Reggie! How about some famotidine for the stomach?

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel and Bentley sen Reggie their regards. We all hope Reggie recuperates quickly. Bland diet is in order as mentioned by seasoned EBNers.

Best regards,

--rj

OP
R

Reggies Parents

Dec 30, 2016
Bristol, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Reggie
Thanks for the advice peeps :)
The vet said bland diet too, but last time we gave him chicken it went right through him so we were told to use scrambled egg instead.
Yesterday the vet said a small amount of kibble would be ok, as long as it was softened, just until I could get to the shop for eggs and rice.
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] the vet didn't mention femotidine, unsure what it is? She prescribed Metrobac (metronidazole).

So far he is keeping his food down, still got a touch of diarreah though.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Eggs are good! You can add some rice too for more filling belly. Famodine is pepcid, but if the vet gave you Metronidazole keep on that, its also for the belly, and to prevent vomiting. Continue to keep the meals bland for a few days until you start to see noticeable improvements in behavior and in poop, also you will need to feed more frequently bc bland is not filling on the belly :) Hee hee.

Thanks for the advice peeps :)
The vet said bland diet too, but last time we gave him chicken it went right through him so we were told to use scrambled egg instead.
Yesterday the vet said a small amount of kibble would be ok, as long as it was softened, just until I could get to the shop for eggs and rice.
@Manydogs the vet didn't mention femotidine, unsure what it is? She prescribed Metrobac (metronidazole).

So far he is keeping his food down, still got a touch of diarreah though.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry to hear about Reggie... IF he does test positive for giardia the poops are bloody and smell awful. We had a pup that dealt w/this, but they do have a shot that will clear him up quick. Also we took our Winston in to get get daily saline so he wouldn't become too dehydrated.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.