English bulldog ear infection - pictures attached

colt24

Jan 8, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Hello all,

I'm seeking advice for my two year old English bulldog Lenny. About 4 months ago Lenny develop a sore looking inflamed gunky ear ( Both sides ) . This was treated with a 12 day course of antibiotics, various ear cleaning products and antihistamine with no avail.

More recently, Lenny attended the vets again prescribed with the same treatments listed above with a complimentary ear flush thrown in for good measure. They also performed a number of blood/allergy test's which came back OK.

I have attached a few pictures with outline Lenny's condition. As you can see, the ear is inflamed and gunky - brown substance. Strangely, Lenny is also developing the same condition beneath his tail folds and under he's eye creases.

20170108_123128.jpg20170108_123206.jpg

I have been cleaning the affected areas with an antiseptic mousse and diluted tea tree oil (Applying with cotton wool pads) . This appears to be soothing Lenny's infected areas and relieving some discomfort.

Has anyone here encountered this stubborn infection? I believe it's some form of yeast infection which could point to many causes ( food, environment etc ). It's probably worth mentioning that recently I have noticed wheezy breathing from Lenny.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

James and Lenny

1.PNGCapture 2.PNGCapture 3.PNG
Capture 4.PNG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN ... Lenny one very handsome bully boy!

What food are you feeding brand and protein?

You'll need to feed high quality grain free . Other items should be avoided till you find the cause ... treats, fruits, potatoes.

You can clean both areas daily with witch hazel/apple cider vinegar 50/50 mix. This will keep the yeast at bay but not identify the cause.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

colt24

Jan 8, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Welcome to EBN ... Lenny one very handsome bully boy!

What food are you feeding brand and protein?

You'll need to feed high quality grain free . Other items should be avoided till you find the cause ... treats, fruits, potatoes.

You can clean both areas daily with witch hazel/apple cider vinegar 50/50 mix. This will keep the yeast at bay but not identify the cause.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]

Thanks, he's certainly a handsome devil :)

He's been on ' Taste of the Wild Dry Food ' for the past two months which is grain free. Protein is 32.0 %

Do you mean you mean witch hazel ?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Witch hazel is a natural astringent... in pharmacy section near alcohol and peroxide

2fcbb5606e7559555c8aee4c905153d0.jpg

OP
C

colt24

Jan 8, 2017
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Lenny
Thank you, I will give that a try.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I had a bulldog Bella that had chronic ear infections... the best thing that worked for her was having her ears "packed" usually once/twice a year by the vet. It was a combination of wax and medicine that was placed in her ears, and it would finally clear up the nightmare.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] isn't that what you did for your babies?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I had a bulldog Bella that had chronic ear infections... the best thing that worked for her was having her ears "packed" usually once/twice a year by the vet. It was a combination of wax and medicine that was placed in her ears, and it would finally clear up the nightmare.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] isn't that what you did for your babies?

I forgot all about that, but No, it was a medicine that we could not do anything to the ear for 3 weeks --- i think it was Calaro? But once it cleared, i use the 50/50 witch hazel ACV to keep it clear

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
TOTW is a good food and recommended as one of the GF to try and some people have had great luck w/it…it did not work well w/us.

I'd suspect the food as the cause (or at least a major contributor) to the breakout considering you switched two months ago…I did a food switch once that had a horrendous outcome w/buildup (ears, nose rope and black tear stains) - Brothers, I believe. We have stayed with Pork and Peas (Fromm) not for everyone as allergies differ, but has been the best for us at keeping allergies at bay, nose rope and ears clear and stool perfect. Agree w/the witch hazel and ACV all the way!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Ears are a messy business! For Castor the weird thing is that he gets these infections around New Year every year. I wonder if he's allergic to the Christmas tree or something...anyway, he is currently on antibiotic drops plus a hydrocortisone spray for ten days.

We've used the 50/50 witch hazel + apple cider vinegar mix with good results but haven't been consistent enough, I suspect, as the ears suddenly were bad again. The mix really does help to keep ears clean. I cannot find witch hazel here, so I buy the one sold at Boots in the UK.

Castor eats raw (lamb meat and organs) and carrots and he has less yeast in his nose folds now than when he was on (grainfree, good) kibble.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/Sarah

It's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.Hischronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears. In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello all,

I'm seeking advice for my two year old English bulldog Lenny. About 4 months ago Lenny develop a sore looking inflamed gunky ear ( Both sides ) . This was treated with a 12 day course of antibiotics, various ear cleaning products and antihistamine with no avail.

More recently, Lenny attended the vets again prescribed with the same treatments listed above with a complimentary ear flush thrown in for good measure. They also performed a number of blood/allergy test's which came back OK.

I have attached a few pictures with outline Lenny's condition. As you can see, the ear is inflamed and gunky - brown substance. Strangely, Lenny is also developing the same condition beneath his tail folds and under he's eye creases.

View attachment 103212View attachment 103213

I have been cleaning the affected areas with an antiseptic mousse and diluted tea tree oil (Applying with cotton wool pads) . This appears to be soothing Lenny's infected areas and relieving some discomfort.

Has anyone here encountered this stubborn infection? I believe it's some form of yeast infection which could point to many causes ( food, environment etc ). It's probably worth mentioning that recently I have noticed wheezy breathing from Lenny.

Thanks,

James and Lenny

View attachment 103214View attachment 103215View attachment 103216
View attachment 103217

If you're putting tea tree and it's soothing him, means you're on the right path but need another anti inflammatory like lavender or clove... here are some recipes to keep..

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I am dealing with the same issue right now. Poor Dually is so yeasty and the meds the vet gave arent helping. I have added yogurt and coconut oil to his food and clean his ears and face daily. Im going to try the witch hazel and ACV to see if that helps.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello all,

View attachment 103212View attachment 103213

Thanks,

James and Lenny

View attachment 103214View attachment 103215View attachment 103216
View attachment 103217

Hi James. There isn't anything I can add to the already great advice everyone has already given you. I deal with the same issues with Bulldozer, he has many allergies to protein. ACV and Witch Hazel definitely help. I also use an ear cleaner called Thrive Genetian Ear Solution and Cleanser. It helps heal inner ear infections caused by Staph, Strep, and Pseudomonas bacteria, Malassezia, and Candida yeast. It contains Witch Hazel, Boric Acid, Genetian Violet, and Collodial Silver. I buy it at RENs Pet Depot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 672
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 513

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Our Barkley had his first bad ear infection a couple months ago and the vet packed his ears with ointment. We went back a week or so later and it still wasn't cleared up so they packed them again and after getting checked again a couple weeks later the infection was all gone! I think this was a much better option than having to put ointment in multiple times a day at home!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.