5 Treats You Should Never Feed Your Dog

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
good info --- thanks

May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
It amazes me what people will consume without a second thought, maybe that is why they don't read the ingredients of what they are giving their dogs. If you don't know what it is or can't pronounce it, it's probably not good for you (or them)...

Common sense tells me that artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are not something I should consume on a regular basis or really at all if I can avoid it. I grew up on a farm and am a bit OCD, I've read labels since I was a kid just out of curiosity. I just can't eat or give food or treats to someone / something I care for if I don't know what it is. I'm glad to see some big companies FINALLY removing (or using natural substitutes) a few of these things from products / menu items in the USA, it's terrible that they had to be shamed into doing it by petitions and negative media attention. Other civilized countries do not allow these practices, why does good ole 'Merica? Because companies can get away with it or most people just don't care enough to demand better?

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It amazes me what people will consume without a second thought, maybe that is why they don't read the ingredients of what they are giving their dogs. If you don't know what it is or can't pronounce it, it's probably not good for you (or them)...

Common sense tells me that artificial colors, flavors and preservatives are not something I should consume on a regular basis or really at all if I can avoid it. I grew up on a farm and am a bit OCD, I've read labels since I was a kid just out of curiosity. I just can't eat or give food or treats to someone / something I care for if I don't know what it is. I'm glad to see some big companies FINALLY removing (or using natural substitutes) a few of these things from products / menu items in the USA, it's terrible that they had to be shamed into doing it by petitions and negative media attention. Other civilized countries do not allow these practices, why does good ole 'Merica? Because companies can get away with it or most people just don't care enough to demand better?

Totally agree. Do t even get me started. We are now at 16 European countries that will not accept from Canada or the U.S. Because they do not allow our toxic chemicals in their foods. They do not use steroids, pesticides, hormones, artificial colours, or antibiotics in their foods or animals. They also do not have fluoride in their water. My family is from Norway, and the kids there rinse with a topical fluoride every night, swish it around, and then spit it out. In order for a cow to produce milk, she has to be pregnant, so hormones are given to her to trick her body into thinking its pregnant so she will continue to produce milk, then they add antibiotics, and steroids so she produces more milk and faster. All these added toxic chemicals remain in our bodies and store in our fat tissues. Our kids are the most vulnerable because they are smaller, they are still growing and developing, and this generation has been the most exposed to it. My generation and even my kids who are 36 and 34 didn't eat this food, plus we didn't have all the GMO foods, or the microwave, frozen, artificial foods that are sold and passed off as food like today. The 3 major food manufacturers Nestle, Purina, and Kraft have to have a different recipe for the foods that they export to the European countries than they do here, because they are not accepted in Europe. Why is this? Why does the FDA and the Government allow these toxic additives in our foods?
We and especially our children are just Guinea Pigs when it comes to our foods. We don't know half the crap that is in it.
We have higher incidences of illnesses like cancers, allergies, our kids have higher diagnoses of ADHD, ADD, as well since they put hormones in our animals and milk, our children are maturing much faster, little boys are getting breasts, our girls are developing breast much younger, and also getting their periods much younger ( 8 and 9 yrs old). Since our lymph nodes, and our brains are made of mostly fat, these things are accumulating in our organs and are not healthy.
I also read that they found melamine which is a paint thinner in Fruit Loops?, and Sawdust is commonly used as a filler in Grated Parmesan Cheese? Again Who The F*** allows these things in our foods. Who decides it's a good thing to eat paint thinner or sawdust? We aren't meant to eat these things, and shouldn't be. These things shouldn't be allowed in our foods. Then you wonder why the pet food industry is so crooked and the quality is horrible, if they don't care about human food, they aren't going to care about food for pets. The sources for pet foods are horrible , they use rancid meat, or meats that are no longer sellable for human consumption, they use Euthanized animals from vets, zoos, circuses, they can be old or sick animals, and they also use road kill. It's horrible and shouldn't be allowed. Rant over.