TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Mometamax is generally used for the ears, infections and such, but my vet has said before that you can rub some on the face folds, etc. So I don't see an issue other than if on the paws, it can be licked.

Yes sorry that's what I meant worked for brosco cleaned it right up

OP
D

Dmlove67

Jan 4, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abigail (Abby)
Mometamax is generally used for the ears, infections and such, but my vet has said before that you can rub some on the face folds, etc. So I don't see an issue other than if on the paws, it can be licked.

Yes sorry that's what I meant worked for brosco cleaned it right up

I think I might still have some from when Abby had her ear infections (which happen often). I'll look when I get home.
We have a snow storm coming tonight, so won't be able to get her to the vet until next week. But she's doing just fine. I am keeping her paws clean and spraying on some hydrocortisone spray

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Oh yes, I remember now our vet said to use it on the paw and increase the benedryl I forgot to mention this as well if I remember correctly it healed rather fast with the stuff, ......I also covered brosco's paw with a doll sock so he wouldn't lick it
Good luck and keep us posted

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Be advised, if you do decide to cover-up the paw instead of a block-collar, you may have to keep a constant look out if Abby tends to chew or swallow socks…(I'm an over-protective worrywart :nervous:when it comes to choking/ingesting hazards).

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If it is yeast infection, long term usage of hormone containing ointments might be controversial, as these meds act, in fact, upon immune response, suppressing it. In the beginning Itch can become less, but at the same time you reduce local immune forces of the skin (topical immune molecules-Ig), what can result in more yeast and bacterial growth. This is quick fix, but not really causal therapy. Unless you treat the cause (with antifungals), mometason, hydrocortisone etc won't help and can even do harm. In fact, you are helping yeast and bacteria to thrive, because you repress local immune forces.
Older animals have lower immune system, and skin repairs itself not so efficiently, that's why fungus can easily take over their immune system. I think, everyone knows, that in older people you see fungus of toenails more often. That means, that many elder people have to take supportive anti fungal treatment several times a year after initial course. So, be prepared for really long therapy and then so called pulse supportive therapy. In case, if vets diagnose you with fungus.
In my opinion, in most cases reason for allergies in bulldogs are rather inside, and come from commercial food. It is overloaded with carbs and chemicals. My dog had all possible skin issues, just name it - bold back, interdigital cysts, infected rope, face, chin, eyes. I learnt my lesson hard way, and turned to raw feeding. Raw feeding solved my dogs skin issues in 2 months. We also were administered antibiotic and special fish oil with high EPA and DHA (omega 3 fatty acids) content.

OP
D

Dmlove67

Jan 4, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abigail (Abby)
It's hard to get away from peas unless you go raw. There are many dry foods available from reputable manufacturers like Fromm, Orijen, Acana, Merrick, etc. We get our food delivered free from Chewy. Stay away from Rice, Potatoes, and any grains...Oats and Peas if possible. We have had several dogs come into rescue that could not tolerate chicken...so we never feed it. Our worst allergy cases end up on either Duck or Salmon formulas.
If it is, in fact, yeast(and it sure looks like it from your pic) then you'll need to see your vet for the keto. It's going to take way more than any 2 weeks worth to knock that out.
Be prepared to bathe or, at least, soak those feet using Nizoral shampoo...or similar a minimum of 2 times a week.
Keep those feet dry. When she comes inside and feet are wet take the time to dry them off.
An E-collar may be necessary in order to prevent licking.
Be diligent with treatment. Once it appears cured, continue to treat for another 2 weeks. Yeast not completely cured will rapidly return.

Be aware, I am not a Vet and I'm making assumptions here, from a pic and over the internet. I base my recommendations solely on 15+ yrs of experience with 40+ yeasty Bulldogs. Nothing more.
Yeast infection is nasty itchy stuff. I hope your girl gets through this as quickly as possible. Be happy it's only on her feet.

Thanks to everyone for all the info. She's back on Ketconazole, and I've started her on Grandma Lucy's freeze dried fish. I started the new food on saturday and she has not been chewing on her paws since then. Some licking here and there, but no chewing, and minimal scratching. I have some new shampoo that has ketaconazle in it, which i will use for her foot soaks. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction. If none of this works, I'll have to take her to a dog dermatologist; which i really hope doesn't need to happen. THanks again!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks to everyone for all the info. She's back on Ketconazole, and I've started her on Grandma Lucy's freeze dried fish. I started the new food on saturday and she has not been chewing on her paws since then. Some licking here and there, but no chewing, and minimal scratching. I have some new shampoo that has ketaconazle in it, which i will use for her foot soaks. Hopefully I'm heading in the right direction. If none of this works, I'll have to take her to a dog dermatologist; which i really hope doesn't need to happen. THanks again!

Please keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.