Intranasal or injection vaccination?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We took Castor to the vet today because his ears were very red and irritated, and sure enough the poor little thing was diagnosed with an ear infection. He got something called cortavance which we hope will help.

Anyway, the plan was to have him vaccinated against kennel cough / bordatella today, but that will have to wait until his ear thing has cleared up. I now read on the vet's homepage that they recommend a type of kennel cough/bordatella vaccine that is intranasal, ie given through the nose instead of by injection. I haven't read up on this but my gut feeling is that an injection makes more sense for bulldogs. I'd like to hear from other bulldogs here - do you do injection or intranasal kennel cough/bordatella vaccine?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Injection... ask the vet to do the injection-- nasal is not good for flatfaced breeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Regarding the ear issue.... Here's one of our members had to say. And.....ive been maintaining Nyala's ears every other day with that recipe. :2thumbs:

From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Regarding the ear issue.... Here's one of our members had to say. And.....ive been maintaining Nyala's ears every other day with that recipe. :2thumbs:

From @Saalwi*/SarahIt's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his*system.His*chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear*health.Spray*on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in*ears.In*a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:15 drops Lavender15 drops Geranium15 drops Frankincense15 drops Basil10 drops ArborvitaeFractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

thanks - will look into this. We have followed [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]'s recipe of 50/50 witch hazel and apple cider vinegar with good results but this time we had to take him to the vet as he his ears hurt.

- - - Updated - - -

Injection... ask the vet to do the injection-- nasal is not good for flatfaced breeds

Thanks, will do!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
INJECTION ONLY!!!!! The vet I was taking Rukus to (yeah we switched...) gave him the intranasal one and he wound up getting pneumonia a few days later after having a bad reaction to the vaccine. Injection, injection, injection.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
INJECTION ONLY!!!!! The vet I was taking Rukus to (yeah we switched...) gave him the intranasal one and he wound up getting pneumonia a few days later after having a bad reaction to the vaccine. Injection, injection, injection.

Oh dear, thanks for sharing. Will be injection for Castor!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.