MRSA

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Has anyone ever heard about MRSA in dogs? Norm was just diagnosed with it tonight. He had cultures performed on wounds that wouldn't heal on the top of his head. My poor boy!

I've been doing some research and it said it was catchy to humans.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh WOW I knew human's can get it and a couple of yrs ago there was a bad outbreak here in Fl. Poor Norm!!! What is the treatment antibiotics? Can YOU get it from Norm? Please keep us updated.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Be very careful. I don't know if it can spread cross-species but it is not something you want to catch.

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
UGH. Been there done that .. I know in humans it can affect different body systems in different ways and is more contagious in places like the respiratory system (for obvious reasons). I had MRSA of the skin about 6-7 years ago. It was AWFUL and we could not figure out where it came from. :( It was possibly the most painful thing I've ever dealt with. [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] I hope Norm isn't in pain. :( I would be especially careful with touching the wounds/washing hands etc. I would also be leary of anywhere an open wound touches. Poor baby!!!

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yes.. it can spread from dog to person and back again. What really sux is I just had surgery, so I have wounds across my belly. I'm trying to stay away from him but it's so hard to do cuz he LOVES to snuggle. I love my Norm and will do anything I can for him. He doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain right now. But I will definately be on the look-out!

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Awwww. Just keep yourself covered and you should be ok! Take vitamins too, I'd think!

L

Lucy-licious

So what treatment is he on? MRSA is a staphilococcus that is resistant to lots of antibiotics. Cultures are tested to see what will work as treatment. In wounds it can slow healing terrable and dressings with silver content are found to be very good in treating it. Topical treatment for humans here in the Uk would be hibiscrub bodywash, bactoban nasal cream and chlohexadine mouthwash, this would be used for 5days then nothing for 2 days then reswab....in most cases here it is cleared after 2 courses of treatment. MRSA in itself is more common than people think, it is spread by touch however if people get it in heir respiratory system it can be airbourn. In healthy humans it is not usually bothersome but in those with poor immunity it can make them extremely poorly.

Ensure you maintain good hand heigene and if you can get hand wash containing chlorhexadine or an alcohol based one they would be a good idea to use after handling Norm. As long as your wound is coveted with a dressing you should be ok but I would visit my doctor for swabs just to be safe if I were you.

Bare in mind I am a UK nurse not stateside so our treatments may be different but the bug is the same.

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Hope Norm is better soon and you don't catch it!

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I'm a nurse here in the states, but never heard of dogs getting it. Everything I looked up said it's deadly, so I stopped looking. He doesn't act like anything is wrong. I think since it's just in his wound, that's where we need to stay cautious... for the rest of his life. His wounds will take longer to heal from now on.

Right now he isn't on any antibiotics. We are waiting to find out what the cultures come back for. Then I'm assuming high doses. I'll be home for 6 weeks so I should be able to do them here.

L

Lucy-licious

Mrsa is deadly if systemic, lets hope it doesnt get that way.
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] Can you get hold of silver based dressings? If not let me know what kind of wound and i can send you some xx

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.