MRSA

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
[MENTION=1648]Lucylambchop[/MENTION] I'll have to ask the vet on monday. Would it be like a silvadene type thing? I have some of that. I think she wants to do more cultures and find out if there could possibly be a false positive. I'm at loss for words. I don't know if he got this from his previous owner.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't heard of a dog getting MRSA either!!!???

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OMG this is horrible news.... I do not know anything about it either so I cannot be of much help, but know we are thinking of you and Norm and hopefully nothing horrible comes out of it. :pray:

L

Lucy-licious

I am keeping my fingers crossed that things work out and the cultures your vet is running find suitable antibiotic treatment for Norm that will help his healing and clear this infection. Any silver impregnated dressing suitable to the type of wound i should think. Although talk to your vet i am used to looking after humans not pets but surely a wound is a wound??
Look after yourself too xx

bullyfever

Mar 12, 2011
Inland Empire
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank, Talula, Titan, Tonka, Fifi Le Wink
I have fostered 2 dogs with MRSA.. It is cureable so dont worry, Main thing is keep area where they sleep clean , wash with clorox. while they are taking antibiotics, I would keep them confined to a small area be it a crate or room. When you touch them use latex or rubber gloves always wash your hands after. MRSA is a staph infection that is resistant to many antibiotics and is contagious but only if you dont wash your hands and rub it on you and you have a weak immune system. You need to boost your dogs immune system, with supplements and vitamins so his body can recover. The antibiotics will kill the good bacteria in his intestinal tract, so give 1 spoon full of plain yougart at nite before bedtime not with food. there is also a cream you can rub on his sores called colloidal Silver, this helps heal from the outside. So with medication, good food, good supplements your dog will be able to recover quickly.

OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
I'm making a run to the health food store today. Is that where I buy the colloidal Silver? Lemongrass and RC oil is supposed to get rid of MRSA the natural way. I'm willing to try anything and everything as long as it doesn't hurt my baby!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] - I get my colloidal silver from a natural food/supplement store. They come in liquid form, but it should work the same as the cream when applied topically.

I'll ask around too if there are other supplements and vitamins that you and Norm can take. Will keep your fam in my prayers.

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Mrsa is deadly if systemic, lets hope it doesnt get that way.
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] Can you get hold of silver based dressings? If not let me know what kind of wound and i can send you some xx
Silver based dressings are readily available to the healthcare industry ( I used to purchase them for the nursing home I bought for). I assume they are at the retail level as well but may require a prescription... check with your vet.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] - here's one response from the pet natural remedies group I belong to. I'm thinking it's a good idea to do topically before your vet finds the right antibiotic. I'll keep you posted on what some may recommend on boosting Norm's immune system.

"So this bacteria is in the head wounds? I am assuming this is staphlococcus as this species causes pimples boils on pigs, skin disease. They are commensal and ooportunists feeding on a weak immune system.
Probably CS would help, honey is a good antibiotic too. It wouldn't hurt to boost the immune system too.
I would wash liberally with CS, soaking the pus hardened areas. Pat dry and put honey on it to keep it moist and from drying out again."

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@bulldog family - I got another response from the natural group. But please use this with discretion as this is from the site owner and she takes on a complete holistic approach to healing which most likely would be different from your vet's recommendations. She doesn't believe in vaccinations, non-raw, topical chemical remedies such a flea/tick ones in the market, etc, etc. She's aware of MRSA and describes it as a superbug that's immune to antibiotics.

"Bovine colostrum and astragalus tinctures given orally are always good
standbys to get the immune system working on a better plane. Oregano oil is
very strong, and in dogs who have issues with it (it is hard to give
orally), I put a few drops in between the pads of the feet to be absorbed.
I must have missed where the infection was, but if it is in the actual skin
folds, then topical application might be a good idea and for sure I would be
spraying CS on the sores along with the O of O application & coconut oil.
The suggestion of using honey is good BUT the honey must be RAW and not have
been heated above 110 during processing, and apparently even most of the
"raw" honey is heated above that. I believe the Manuka honey is not.

Applying the virgin coconut oil on the sores AFTER spraying the CS and
putting on the O of O (I am thinking I would not want to put it on the sores
more than once or twice a day though), I would slather on the coconut as it
is very anti-bacterial and will help keep the sores from drying and cracking
and will help heal the skin. If it were my dog, I'd be doing the topical
stuff every 3-4 hours for a minimum of 3-4 times a day (although I am not
sure I would do the O of O more than once or twice a day). I would also be
giving CS orally for 2-3 weeks in large amount (ie I would mix it 1/2 and
1/2 with the drinking water)."

Last edited:
OP
bulldog family

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
What is CS? Honey I have heard good things about. Maybe I'll buy a coconut and let him it some and put the milk and oil on his wounds. Coconut and avacado oils are great for the immune system too!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It's colloidal silver as previously mentioned. It's a must for a naturalist's medicine cabinet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.