Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MRSA

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MRSA

I'm a nurse here in the states, but never heard of dogs getting it. Everything I looked up said it's deadly, so I stopped looking. He doesn't act like anything is wrong. I think since it's just in his wound, that's where we need to stay cautious... for the rest of his life. His wounds will take longer to heal from now on.

Right now he isn't on any antibiotics. We are waiting to find out what the cultures come back for. Then I'm assuming high doses. I'll be home for 6 weeks so I should be able to do them here.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullet {booboo}
    Likes (Received)

oh no...wishing him better VERY soon! i've never heard of a dog getting MRSA either.
    Amy

Lucy-licious

Mrsa is deadly if systemic, lets hope it doesnt get that way.
    @bulldog family Can you get hold of silver based dressings? If not let me know what kind of wound and i can send you some xx
    Last edited by Lucy-licious; 03-12-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

@Lucylambchop I'll have to ask the vet on monday. Would it be like a silvadene type thing? I have some of that. I think she wants to do more cultures and find out if there could possibly be a false positive. I'm at loss for words. I don't know if he got this from his previous owner.
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't heard of a dog getting MRSA either!!!???

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

OMG this is horrible news.... I do not know anything about it either so I cannot be of much help, but know we are thinking of you and Norm and hopefully nothing horrible comes out of it.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Lucy-licious

I am keeping my fingers crossed that things work out and the cultures your vet is running find suitable antibiotic treatment for Norm that will help his healing and clear this infection. Any silver impregnated dressing suitable to the type of wound i should think. Although talk to your vet i am used to looking after humans not pets but surely a wound is a wound??
    Look after yourself too xx

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

o no will be praying for yall!!!
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Oh no! It is scary enough and hard to control in people let alone a bully. I hope it isnt so bad for him.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank, Talula, Titan, Tonka, Fifi Le Wink
    Likes (Received)

I have fostered 2 dogs with MRSA.. It is cureable so dont worry, Main thing is keep area where they sleep clean , wash with clorox. while they are taking antibiotics, I would keep them confined to a small area be it a crate or room. When you touch them use latex or rubber gloves always wash your hands after. MRSA is a staph infection that is resistant to many antibiotics and is contagious but only if you dont wash your hands and rub it on you and you have a weak immune system. You need to boost your dogs immune system, with supplements and vitamins so his body can recover. The antibiotics will kill the good bacteria in his intestinal tract, so give 1 spoon full of plain yougart at nite before bedtime not with food. there is also a cream you can rub on his sores called colloidal Silver, this helps heal from the outside. So with medication, good food, good supplements your dog will be able to recover quickly.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

good info @bullyfever!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

I'm making a run to the health food store today. Is that where I buy the colloidal Silver? Lemongrass and RC oil is supposed to get rid of MRSA the natural way. I'm willing to try anything and everything as long as it doesn't hurt my baby!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads