Scared to death about Uga's soft palate surgery.

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
Uga has surgery on her cherry eye & her soft palate in 2 days. She did great when she was spayed & had her nares done, but I'm so worried about her throat swelling after surgery!
Any suggestions how I can make recovery as easy as possible for her? Small ice chips? Puree her food? 20161220_182115.jpg

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Ice chips are OK. Pureeing food is good too...makes it easier to swallow. Spread it out in a pan instead of in a bowl so she will eat more slowly and not be able to gulp. She does not NEED to eat right away. It's OK to skip a meal after she gets home.
Be mindful of her condition at all times and keep Vet informed if anything looks off.
I'd like to see before and after pics of the cherry-eye work.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, ice chips will help and soft food for a few days ... sending healing prayers for your girl

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Sending prayers! All will go smoothly, just keep her calm after surgery. No barking, jumping, etc. Keep us posted!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Awww, she's so adorable, a sweet baby girl :)

No matter what, we all worry...all of us, each time.

Great advice above and I send hugs & prayers for
quick, easy surgery & fast recovery for Uga.

Try to remain busy & be positive is my best advice.

Give us updates! XOXO

OP
U

UgaJohnson

Nov 7, 2016
Indiana
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Uga
She's home & doing great! Her eye looks so good! She has to keep the cone on for 2 weeks though, which she isn't a fan of.
The vet said her soft palate was extremely long & he removed a pretty huge piece. He also removed some growths she had on her adenoids (or something like that) that he said was obstructing her airway as well. He said because Uga is only 8 months old, her post operative risks are way less than an older bulldog because the tissue was still nice & soft & thin. He said the older dogs have way thicker & denser tissue & is harder to remove & they have way more post op risks vs younger ones like Uga.
I pureed her food & she ate every bit & wanted more & she's loving the ice chips. Yay! :)

Attachments

• 20161222_192915.jpg
    20161222_192915.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 185

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
So glad to hear that Uga's surgery went well and she is home and recovering nicely! Sending positive thoughts that she continues her speedy recovery and heals up quickly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She's home & doing great! Her eye looks so good! She has to keep the cone on for 2 weeks though, which she isn't a fan of.
The vet said her soft palate was extremely long & he removed a pretty huge piece. He also removed some growths she had on her adenoids (or something like that) that he said was obstructing her airway as well. He said because Uga is only 8 months old, her post operative risks are way less than an older bulldog because the tissue was still nice & soft & thin. He said the older dogs have way thicker & denser tissue & is harder to remove & they have way more post op risks vs younger ones like Uga.
I pureed her food & she ate every bit & wanted more & she's loving the ice chips. Yay! :)

Awesome update.. sending healing prayers for a quick recovery! She sure is a pretty girl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

Good Job Uga!! - You got this Girl!! - Ellie will be getting her girl surgery done in a few weeks...

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
It was good reading this as Hank is going in on march 2nd so I'm now reading up... I have a question... Would it benefit these guys to get them used to that 'cone' before it's needed.. Like should I have Hank get used to it now so it doesn't scare him? He's such a scardie cat...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I don't see why not, but he'll most likely have the cone on when he wakes up and will ease into consciousness with it on. Not the same as putting a cone on an alert skittish bully.
Having said that, I say go for it. He won't like it I'd bet...but he needs it and will get used to it.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thanks! and I'm not sure I still have one around but going to check,... I do see your point though... It will prob be the least of his concerns as well..

I don't see why not, but he'll most likely have the cone on when he wakes up and will ease into consciousness with it on. Not the same as putting a cone on an alert skittish bully.
Having said that, I say go for it. He won't like it I'd bet...but he needs it and will get used to it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.