Help Needed! Nasal Congestion. What do I do ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Bully, Maximus, suffers horribly with Nasal Congestion. Because he has Hyperkeratosis of his Nose, and it becomes dry and crusty and flakes off, his nostrils become clogged and he is constantly trying to blow his nose all over the house.
I have tried Benadryl, but it does not appear to be helping much.

Is there anything else that can be given to him to help his Nasal Congestion ?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer Roxie had a terrible time w/Hyperkeratosis... I would use warm water on a washcloth to scrub her nose, and then put Aquaphor on it. It would really help, and I would sometimes do this a couple of times a week...

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Try a humidifier and/or air purifier to help w/the congestion - and coconut oil or vitamin E to help keep the black from cracking. Ask your vet about a decongestantā€¦and add more liquids to help thin out mucus if it's respiratory relatedā€¦(broth).

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus

I apply Vitamin-E to his nose, and also have Aquafor, although so far I don't see that Aquafor is helping much. It appears that I would need to apply these to his Nose on a daily basis in order for me to see any results. He is very sensitive about his Nose being
touched at all, and when I do, large chunks of his nose literally fall off - so I'm not sure I want to wipe down his nose with a warm
washcloth. He could lose his entire nose this way!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey Patrick --- so sorry the aquaphor does not seem to be helping, but if you can get the warm water on it before the aquaphor is my help and yes, you need to do it everyday to see any change. Then once it starts to show it is getting better you can move to every other day and so on till you only do it as needed.

Have you tried Claritin or Zrytec f... you can use those for congestion too.... dose is 1 pill per day

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I use coconut oil as a nose moisturizer. That way it's safe to eat when he licks it off. In the winter we use humidifiers because the heat makes the air dry.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Here is a photo of Maximus' nose with the Hyperkeratosis. I'm using Kerasal ointment, which was recommended by my Vet Dermatologist. PC210009.JPGPC210010.JPGPC210013.JPG

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Oh no, those pictures make me so sadā€¦poor Maximus :pouting:

Has his zinc levels been checked or for a vitamin deficiency? I read good things about Bio Balm (Dermoscent), maybe that will work better than the Auqaphor?? It's pricier, but oh man, does that look uncomfortableā€¦

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE::: I had to send the photo's of Maximus' nose to his Vet Dermatologist, who said Maximus has an Infection on the nose,
so he has prescribed Antibiotics for him. I'm currently using Kerasal ointment, which is what the Vet prescribed to help heal his
nose. So say a prayer for Maximus that his poor Nose heals and the infection clears up. Thanks.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE::: I had to send the photo's of Maximus' nose to his Vet Dermatologist, who said Maximus has an Infection on the nose,
so he has prescribed Antibiotics for him. I'm currently using Kerasal ointment, which is what the Vet prescribed to help heal his
nose. So say a prayer for Maximus that his poor Nose heals and the infection clears up. Thanks.

Sending prayers to sweet Maximus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hailie

Jul 28, 2023
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
My boxer Roxie had a terrible time w/Hyperkeratosis... I would use warm water on a washcloth to scrub her nose, and then put Aquaphor on it. It would really help, and I would sometimes do this a couple of times a week...
does scrubbing not hurt the dog? iā€™m worried about adding anything that wonā€™t treat my dog at all but instead hurts him since it looks really bad (heā€™s sleeping in the photos) will it be ok to scrub it in his condition?

Attachments

• IMG_8931.jpeg
    IMG_8931.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8936.jpeg
    IMG_8936.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 11

benny

Staff member
Jan 9, 2022
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
millie vanilly, beth anne (guest member)
does scrubbing not hurt the dog? iā€™m worried about adding anything that wonā€™t treat my dog at all but instead hurts him since it looks really bad (heā€™s sleeping in the photos) will it be ok to scrub it in his condition?
It wonā€™t hurt, be gentle. I use warm water and Johnsonā€™s baby soap. Let the warm water soak into it with a washcloth and it will just come off. I recommend vitamin e oil afterwards. You can squeeze it out of a gel cap just make sure it doesnā€™t have xylitol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agree with Benny.... just gently rub the nose with a warm wet cloth and you will see the lose piece come off and it opens the pores to allow the ointment to seep in

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online