Answers Needed, greatly appreciated

isag97

Dec 13, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
pixie
My english bulldog keeps on gagging and making chocking noises as if he were about to throw up for a couple of months. He had two seizures two or three months ago, and we took him to the vet, but he hasn't had any, as far as i know, since then. He's also developed this weird balding that is very flaky and i thought might be flank alopecia. Do any of these things correlate. I just reframe from taking him to the vet again because they always deemed every test inconclusive and i just don't have the money to take him back without getting any real answers.

nellbell

Feb 5, 2014
Braintree, MA
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelly
My english bulldog keeps on gagging and making chocking noises as if he were about to throw up for a couple of months. He had two seizures two or three months ago, and we took him to the vet, but he hasn't had any, as far as i know, since then. He's also developed this weird balding that is very flaky and i thought might be flank alopecia. Do any of these things correlate. I just reframe from taking him to the vet again because they always deemed every test inconclusive and i just don't have the money to take him back without getting any real answers.

The gagging could be seizure. Nelly's seizures were not grand mal, and were very much of a gagging and choking variety. Are there any other symptoms? Staring right before or after the episode? Sideways gait just following? We found a neuro who did not recommend any expensive tests (MRI, etc) but prescribed anti-seizure meds. Her seizures were traumatic, however, and observed by docs. The meds are inexpensive so we have never tried to wean.

Small or large balding? Nelly has suffered both. Alopecia largely resolved by 6mm melatonin 2x a day. She's 70 lbs. Small patches with yellow crusty spots that cause balding directly in the sores are suspected to be thyroid related. We finally did blood work and her thyroid was borderline low. Haven't picked up the script yet.

We did clear it once via antibiotics but it cropped back up.

Hope this helps.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
First of all did they ever evaluate your baby for an elongated palate? Many bullies have them in fact I just had the surgery done for my Willow to have her's reduced. She would occasionally gag her food and vomit w/most of it being undigested food. Does she snore a lot at night? I'm not sure about the relation to the gagging and having seizure's, but I will tag members that may have some insight into that...

Seasonal alopecia is normally thinning hair on the sides of your bulldogs... it's extremely common, and is a result of seasonal allergies. My Bella had that, but I do not remember her skin flaking off she just had the hair loss. Many member use melatonin to help w/the alopecia.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Tracey, have your baby evaluated for elongated palate. If you do choose to put Pixie on siezure meds, make sure your vet keeps an eye on her liver counts as the meds have an effect on the liver. Good luck

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'm with others thinking that enlarged soft palate may be her primary issue. The seizures(or what you perceive to be seizures) are possibly a by-product of oxygen starvation caused by the soft palate issue but it would have to be quite bad, if that's the case.
If you can please try to record a video of the "gagging" and "choking" and post it. Anyone here that has had a "palate bully" knows the sound all too well.
If your bully has flank alopecia it is unrelated to the gagging.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Where are you located? is your vet familiar with Bulldogs?

i agree with the others, it sounds like a palate issue and he needs to be evaluated and possible surgery, which you want a bulldog experienced vet to perform. As for the scab/flaky skin (can you post a picture)-- it might be a staph infection which will need strong antibiotics for a few weeks and then you need to build his immune system as that is what causes staph -- weaken immune .

Also... what food brand/protein are you feeding?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.