Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Chiming in on the ACV (just because I'm such a huge ACV nut) and have done extensive research (and tests, personally)…
******Note: I do have an e-mail in to BRAGGS regarding the amino acid concern…because the amines are found in the Mother (the floating brown vein looking things) and that part distributed is not measured is why I suspect there is no mention of Amino content % wise.********

Apple Cider Vinegar has been shown to reduce, dissolve and help w/passing of stones (humans and canines). I quoted The Whole Dog Journal in a write up I did some time back that it clears and prevents urinary infections while acting as a natural antibiotic (keeping the good bacteria in-tact).

I have pages of note-worthy sites on research, articles and studies and have yet to find any info on ACV proven harmful to kidney-prone problems…I am always updating my research, so please send me (reputable) links if you find anything on the contrary. I have no relation to the product or the company I prefer (Braggs), my advocacy on it is strictly based on how well it has worked for me and my family (and my dog). I would hate for this product to get a bad rep for making stones worse until more info is known…it has been such a help to many owners and the issues they've battled. It's a great way to help keep vet bills down too because it's a great immune booster.
By no means do I mean for you two (Michele and Wes) to add it back in to the diet…I just want to be clear that there hasn't been any data supporting harmful effects on canine KD or the like. Once I receive a reply from Braggs about their amino content I will post…sorry for the long rant - there is so much mis-information on the internet and this is one topic where I pride myself on the extensive research from reputable sites that offer pertinent knowledge to the matter. ~ clarifying for those that may find this thread doing their own research...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hmmm no we haven't tried switching the food yet, but I've been thinking about switching to something else for awhile, just haven't known what yet.

I have tried wiping her and also taking off the ACV for awhile before but those didn't seem to help either [emoji20]

Recurring UTI's can be caused by extra sugar (have her checked for diabetes) so a diet low in sugar is critical. The
antibiotics are most likely causing yeast problems so a good probiotic is important and one that survives stomach
acid is a must to be effective! Fromm had a lower % of sugar compared to some other kibble but raw is best. Does
she smell yeasty or have other symptoms such as itchiness, chewing on paws, ear issues, etc?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like some knows, when Nyala was 4 months old she had UTI issues to. Pee here and there way too often. Vet said change food and all to RC. Well that was a no go for me. I decided to home cook. Solved that problem. 180$ Honest Kitchen is expensive and not for everyone's budget. I am for Home Cooking, Raw or Honest Kitchen. But I wanted to do it myself. Like you mentioned in one of your post, its turkey, carrots, I add sweet potatoes, green n yellow string beans, lima beans and of course top it with the broth. She never had crystals, uti anything since then. Dogs do not drink or barely water if they are HC or Raw. Their food is loaded of moisture. So it's normal. I still top it with turkey broth. Nyala is a healthy little bully. Oh and cost me about $100ish a month. Aside from the zip locks n snacks.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmmm no we haven't tried switching the food yet, but I've been thinking about switching to something else for awhile, just haven't known what yet.

I have tried wiping her and also taking off the ACV for awhile before but those didn't seem to help either [emoji20]

Recurring UTI's can be caused by extra sugar (have her checked for diabetes) so a diet low in sugar is critical. The
antibiotics are most likely causing yeast problems so a good probiotic is important and one that survives stomach
acid is a must to be effective! Fromm had a lower % of sugar compared to some other kibble but raw is best. Does
she smell yeasty or have other symptoms such as itchiness, chewing on paws, ear issues, etc?

:goodpost: I was just about to chime in... I had a diabetic cat and the first sign was his reoccurring UTI's. He was having them constantly, and then we found he was a diabetic. Does she drink a lot of water?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
:goodpost: I was just about to chime in... I had a diabetic cat and the first sign was his reoccurring UTI's. He was having them constantly, and then we found he was a diabetic. Does she drink a lot of water?

We do give her a good probiotic daily and I haven't noticed her smelling yeasty, licking, etc. The only time she drinks a lot of water is when she has a UTI, otherwise she drinks a normal amount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They do an ultrasound every time they do a culture and they are usually clear. The last infection they did see some stones but when we had her re-checked they were gone, so they were the type that was just from the infection. We had blood work done when she had surgery and everything came back great. The only thing I can think of is that she squats all the way to the ground when she pees but what am I supposed to do about that?? Haha

Thanks but we already take them to a great bulldog vet here in Houston [emoji20] The only other thing they have mentioned is she may need surgery to tuck her vulva under but said before that hers doesn't really look that bad so I don't even know if that would help and really don't want to put her through another surgery again right now!

We had this issue with Banks at right about the same age... after the 3rd UTI our vet did the vulvaplasty and she only had one more UTI about 4 years later. Banks was just like your girl... no stones, it would go away on the antibiotics, sometimes get up and she would be wet. On the 3rd UTI in a short period of time, Dr. Joe said with everything being good (bladder, no stones, etc) He wanted to do the vuvlaplasty to remove the extra skin... with her being a low pee'er (practically sat on the grass when she went, she would always get the infection due to dirt or whatever getting caught in the area. From the time he told us that till the surgery would would wipe her girlie parts after each pee, but I can't say of it helped or not because we had surgery scheduled within a week of discussing it.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
We had this issue with Banks at right about the same age... after the 3rd UTI our vet did the vulvaplasty and she only had one more UTI about 4 years later. Banks was just like your girl... no stones, it would go away on the antibiotics, sometimes get up and she would be wet. On the 3rd UTI in a short period of time, Dr. Joe said with everything being good (bladder, no stones, etc) He wanted to do the vuvlaplasty to remove the extra skin... with her being a low pee'er (practically sat on the grass when she went, she would always get the infection due to dirt or whatever getting caught in the area. From the time he told us that till the surgery would would wipe her girlie parts after each pee, but I can't say of it helped or not because we had surgery scheduled within a week of discussing it.

Wow I'm glad that helped Banks so much!! I'll have to ask the vet to take a better look when we go on Saturday and see if they think that is something she may definitely need. She does the same thing when peeing, is pretty much sitting right on the grass. Ugh I just wish they had mentioned this before so we could've just had it done when she had her spay/soft palate surgery a couple months ago [emoji31]

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good luck.. let me know if you have any questions-- but the procedure was quick, it looked bad while healing, but it did not bother her at all

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Good luck.. let me know if you have any questions-- but the procedure was quick, it looked bad while healing, but it did not bother her at all

Good to hear! Hopefully it isn't too expensive...I'm battling my own ongoing health issues and just had surgery myself last week so don't even know when we would be able to get this done!! I think my husband is going to go crazy if he hears one of us needs another surgery [emoji51] haha

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow... healing prayers to you

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Wow... healing prayers to you

Thank you so much!! The vet called and is going to start her on antibiotics again and said she will look at her on Saturday to see if the surgery may be needed. She said it's definitely a life changing surgery for dogs with these problems so that makes me feel better! I just get worried about doing it and it not working so I want to make sure she really needs it!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much!! The vet called and is going to start her on antibiotics again and said she will look at her on Saturday to see if the surgery may be needed. She said it's definitely a life changing surgery for dogs with these problems so that makes me feel better! I just get worried about doing it and it not working so I want to make sure she really needs it!

Definitely -- keep us posted

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Good to hear! Hopefully it isn't too expensive...I'm battling my own ongoing health issues and just had surgery myself last week so don't even know when we would be able to get this done!! I think my husband is going to go crazy if he hears one of us needs another surgery [emoji51] haha

:sorry: hoping this all goes well and you both recover quickly :heart::heart:
(P.S., Hubbies are strong, that's what they're there for!! ) xoxo

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I heard back from BRAGGS regarding ACV and amino content concern, posting the comment/question and reply below...

"I am unable to find the amino acid content in one bottle of ACV. I am asking for a member of a forum that has a dog with Cystine Stones and decided to stop giving his dog ACV because Cystine is an Amino and he was concerned of the content in the bottle - however, there is no mention of the content on your bottle (I always have a bottle on hand as I love your product. Any input I may offer him? I advocate for dog owners to buy BRAGGS and add a capful to their dog's drinking water or food…If this is a true concern, I would like to be aware. WAnted to go straight to the source (you) for input. Kindly, Laurie"

"
Dear Laurie,
Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry for the long wait on our response. Our chemist stated, there is not a notable amount of them in the ACV.

Blessings of health!
Bragg Customer Service
Tel: 1-(800)-446-1990"

Most Reactions

Members online