Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am the Wes mentioned above and my dog Chunky had cystine stones which are usually are a problem in male dogs or possibly just more noticeable because they cannot pass them as easy as a female dog. Cystine stones are caused by eating foods that are too high in protein and contain a lot of phosphorus. I am not sure about the food your dog is on. The fix for him was to get neutered and surgery to remove the stones plus changing his diet.

I am giving Chunky The Honest Kitchen Turkey and Parsnips and I think it will take almost two boxes per month to feed him going by the amount given on the box which will be around $180 per month. :mellow:

I no longer give him Apple Cider Vinegar because I don't know how much cystine which is an amino acid or phosphorus is in it. I also took him off NuVet Plus because it contains more phosphorus than whats recommended per day for dogs with this problem.

I would have the vet send off any stones that show up to see if her stones are cystine also. Chunky was around 17 months when the issue started

Good luck!!

Chunky was eating Orijen Six Fish when he started having the problems which is high in protein compared to other kinds of protein like beef or turkey. I have no idea if that really has anything to do with it

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Who is your vet? Any chance you could get a second opinion if this keeps happening and they can't figure out why? This one was recommended for Houston a few years back…is this your vet by any chance??

Brittmore Animal Hospital​
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt​
Houston, Texas​
713-468-8253​

Yep this is our vet [emoji4]I gave them a call to see if we can get her started on antibiotics again in the meantime and then see what else we can do when we take them in on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Yep this is our vet [emoji4]I gave them a call to see if we can get her started on antibiotics again in the meantime and then see what else we can do when we take them in on Saturday

Sorry for all you're going through Michele - I hope they have some answers for you Sat.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I am the Wes mentioned above and my dog Chunky had cystine stones which are usually are a problem in male dogs or possibly just more noticeable because they cannot pass them as easy as a female dog. Cystine stones are caused by eating foods that are too high in protein and contain a lot of phosphorus. I am not sure about the food your dog is on. The fix for him was to get neutered and surgery to remove the stones plus changing his diet.

I am giving Chunky The Honest Kitchen Turkey and Parsnips and I think it will take almost two boxes per month to feed him going by the amount given on the box which will be around $180 per month. :mellow:

I no longer give him Apple Cider Vinegar because I don't know how much cystine which is an amino acid or phosphorus is in it. I also took him off NuVet Plus because it contains more phosphorus than whats recommended per day for dogs with this problem.

I would have the vet send off any stones that show up to see if her stones are cystine also. Chunky was around 17 months when the issue started

Good luck!!

Chunky was eating Orijen Six Fish when he started having the problems which is high in protein compared to other kinds of protein like beef or turkey. I have no idea if that really has anything to do with it

Hey there! Yes I have commented on your other posts before as I am unfortunately no stranger to cystine stones! Our other bulldog, Barkley, had them a few years ago but since neutering had not had anymore problems [emoji4] She only had stones one time and they went away with antibiotics so they were not cystine. I don't believe females get cystine stones anyway since they seem to be testosterone dependent. Our bulldog vet even said that neutering prevents these from recurring as well [emoji4] We still give Barkley the ACV everyday and he has been fine. I may stop giving Pippen the HardyPet daily vitamins, they are similar to Nuvet, to see if that may help as well!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

Good luck!!

I started looking into THK some more and emailed them to see if they had any suggestions on one that helped more with urinary issues. Their response was:

"A dog that deals with UTI's, will need a diet with reduced protein, phos and magnesium. Moisture is also key in this case, so adding extra water to the food is suggested. Her top choice in this case is our Keen diet.

Keen is a hearty dehydrated whole grain diet made with cage-free turkey, low-gluten oats and garden vegetables like carrots and cabbage."

Sounds right on with what you said about the protein and phosphorus! This recipe is pretty reasonably priced so I may try it. The only thing I'm worried about is that it isn't grain free since it has oats but I'm hoping that won't be a problem since they are good quality!

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I started looking into THK some more and emailed them to see if they had any suggestions on one that helped more with urinary issues. Their response was:

"A dog that deals with UTI's, will need a diet with reduced protein, phos and magnesium. Moisture is also key in this case, so adding extra water to the food is suggested. Her top choice in this case is our Keen diet.

Keen is a hearty dehydrated whole grain diet made with cage-free turkey, low-gluten oats and garden vegetables like carrots and cabbage."

Sounds right on with what you said about the protein and phosphorus! This recipe is pretty reasonably priced so I may try it. The only thing I'm worried about is that it isn't grain free since it has oats but I'm hoping that won't be a problem since they are good quality!

I might look into the as well. I have no idea if Chunky would have any issues with grains since I have never fed him anything with grains in it other than what the vet sent him home with and I only fed him that for 3 days mixed in with Acana Appalachian Ranch that i had switched him back too.

I remember you commenting in my thread now that you mention it. From what I read female dogs can get cystine stones also but they aren't noticeable since they can pass them without issues. I read a lot of different articles so I don't remember exactly where I read it at. The article might of meant the female can carry the disease and pass it on to its pups

I hope Pippen gets better

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Going out on a limb here…but I wouldn't be as concerned w/the "grain-free" thing at this point, just w/all that is going on…and HK being a recommended food on here. A lot of the hype w/grains has to do w/allergy prone breeds, poor ingredients and the whole GMO's causing leaky gut and such. Not all grains cause problems and some "grain-frees" are not appropriate for individual dogs.
Potatoes and yams can also cause allergy related issue and they are listed in some grain-free foods - so keep in mind when trying to find a good fit. Your case is different because of the constant UTI's and not knowing the underlying problem yet. It could be that the first one never quite went away, or her vulva, or diet/immune related…sounds like you've been doing all you can, hoping someone chimes in w/experience in why this is happening to her.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Going out on a limb here…but I wouldn't be as concerned w/the "grain-free" thing at this point, just w/all that is going on…and HK being a recommended food on here. A lot of the hype w/grains has to do w/allergy prone breeds, poor ingredients and the whole GMO's causing leaky gut and such. Not all grains cause problems and some "grain-frees" are not appropriate for individual dogs.
Potatoes and yams can also cause allergy related issue and they are listed in some grain-free foods - so keep in mind when trying to find a good fit. Your case is different because of the constant UTI's and not knowing the underlying problem yet. It could be that the first one never quite went away, or her vulva, or diet/immune related…sounds like you've been doing all you can, hoping someone chimes in w/experience in why this is happening to her.

Yes I think you're right. The grain in this is organic oats so I know they are high quality and hopefully not a problem! This one does contain potatoes but her current food does too. Obviously I am going to try everything at this point and hopefully find out what the issue is!!

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I might look into the as well. I have no idea if Chunky would have any issues with grains since I have never fed him anything with grains in it other than what the vet sent him home with and I only fed him that for 3 days mixed in with Acana Appalachian Ranch that i had switched him back too.

I remember you commenting in my thread now that you mention it. From what I read female dogs can get cystine stones also but they aren't noticeable since they can pass them without issues. I read a lot of different articles so I don't remember exactly where I read it at. The article might of meant the female can carry the disease and pass it on to its pups

I hope Pippen gets better

Oh yes I read so much about those stupid cystine stones too! Haha. From what I remember it was only in the mastiff breeds that it seemed to be only in males and that the neutering prevented them. I think in other breeds that didn't matter and they have to rely on diet and medications to prevent them. Maybe those breeds the females can get them as well. It's been awhile since I've read up on them, I'm just so glad we never had to worry about those again!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes I think you're right. The grain in this is organic oats so I know they are high quality and hopefully not a problem! This one does contain potatoes but her current food does too. Obviously I am going to try everything at this point and hopefully find out what the issue is!!

Have you tried the same food she's on but switching to a different protein other than salmon?

Also, do you wipe her after peeing with nonscented baby wipes?

I'd also take her off the ACV & see if that helps stone issue.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I am wondering if ACV might have something to do with kidney issues because Pippen and Chunky were both getting it in their food? Some dogs if not drinking enough water might not be able to handle it. Chunky has always had water put on his food and still does with the Honest Kitchen but does not drink much out of his water bowl

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

Have you tried the same food she's on but switching to a different protein other than salmon?

Also, do you wipe her after peeing with nonscented baby wipes?

I'd also take her off the ACV & see if that helps stone issue.

Hmmm no we haven't tried switching the food yet, but I've been thinking about switching to something else for awhile, just haven't known what yet.

I have tried wiping her and also taking off the ACV for awhile before but those didn't seem to help either [emoji20]

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I am wondering if ACV might have something to do with kidney issues because Pippen and Chunky were both getting it in their food? Some dogs if not drinking enough water might not be able to handle it. Chunky has always had water put on his food and still does with the Honest Kitchen but does not drink much out of his water bowl

We tried not giving it to her for awhile before but she still got the UTIs. She drinks a good amount of water and I always add water to her food bowl too. I'm sure Chunky doesn't drink a lot of water on THK since he is already getting so much water in the food! We had our other bully on frozen raw before we got Pippen and I swear he went almost a year without drinking from his water bowl because he was already getting so much water from the food!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.