Help Needed! Recurring UTIs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone! Sorry long story...Our little Pippen girl is about 16 months now and ever since we brought her home as a puppy she has had non-stop UTIs. She has been on countless doses of antibiotics and gets better while she is on them and we do get her re-checked sometimes after she is done and every time we have, the infection has been gone but then pops back up a few weeks later.

A few months ago we had her spayed and soft palate surgery and she was on prednisone for a little while after that. She kept having little accidents and "leaking" but I thought it was just effects from the prednisone. After a couple weeks from stopping the prednisone and no improvements I took her in for another culture and of course it was another infection. I asked the vet about if she may have incontinence since she would "leak" in her sleep and wake up with a wet butt and legs. She gave her more antibiotics and also Proin to start a week later

After being on the antibiotic a week she still wasn't improving that much but after adding the Proin she stopped leaking almost right away! Then after she was done with the antibiotic we had another culture done and there was no infection and she was doing great for awhile so I thought she was finally fixed with being on the Proin.

We were out of town last week and got back the other day and she seemed to be having a little bit of UTI symptoms again and then this morning woke up and let her out of her crate and her butt and legs were soaking wet [emoji31] We have a vet appointment on Saturday for our other bully so I will have her checked again then but we just can't keep dealing with this almost every month!!

Has anyone else had this problem and found anything to help besides constant antibiotics???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm so very sorry this is ongoing issue, a Vet that keeps putting animals
on antibiotics is not doing their job, which is to IDENTIFY the cause and
hopefully, FIX IT!

Look for a bully experienced Vet for 2nd opinion, there's a list of recommended
Vets in Forums.

Good luck and please update us on Pippen's progress.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I'm so very sorry this is ongoing issue, a Vet that keeps putting animals
on antibiotics is not doing their job, which is to IDENTIFY the cause and
hopefully, FIX IT!

Look for a bully experienced Vet for 2nd opinion, there's a list of recommended
Vets in Forums.

Good luck and please update us on Pippen's progress.

Thanks but we already take them to a great bulldog vet here in Houston [emoji20] The only other thing they have mentioned is she may need surgery to tuck her vulva under but said before that hers doesn't really look that bad so I don't even know if that would help and really don't want to put her through another surgery again right now!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
So sorry, poor Pippin…could it possibly be the effects of stones? K.D.? Have they done an ultrasound/X-ray?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
So sorry, poor Pippin…could it possibly be the effects of stones? K.D.? Have they done an ultrasound/X-ray?

They do an ultrasound every time they do a culture and they are usually clear. The last infection they did see some stones but when we had her re-checked they were gone, so they were the type that was just from the infection. We had blood work done when she had surgery and everything came back great. The only thing I can think of is that she squats all the way to the ground when she pees but what am I supposed to do about that?? Haha

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
They do an ultrasound every time they do a culture and they are usually clear. The last infection they did see some stones but when we had her re-checked they were gone, so they were the type that was just from the infection. We had blood work done when she had surgery and everything came back great. The only thing I can think of is that she squats all the way to the ground when she pees but what am I supposed to do about that?? Haha

I wouldn't think that would cause constant infections though? Does she have both kidneys?
maybe puppy pads outside to protect her urinary tract from the ground until you figure out what is causing this?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
I wouldn't think that would cause constant infections though? Does she have both kidneys?
maybe puppy pads outside to protect her urinary tract from the ground until you figure out what is causing this?

Yea I wouldn't think it would cause this many issues either. As far as I know she does! I've never heard anything about her not.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen

I've also thought maybe her food could possibly be an issue? We've had her on the same food since day one since we didn't want to change what the breeder had been feeding and she had been doing great on it except for this. But I don't know if food could actually cause UTIs? I asked the vet before and she didn't think so

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I've also thought maybe her food could possibly be an issue? We've had her on the same food since day one since we didn't want to change what the breeder had been feeding and she had been doing great on it except for this. But I don't know if food could actually cause UTIs? I asked the vet before and she didn't think so

What's the food?

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
What's the food?

Holistic Select Grain Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine. I've been thinking about switching to Fromm, that's what I used to feed our other bully til we got Pippen and switched them to this since the breeder raves about it.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Holistic Select Grain Free Salmon, Anchovy & Sardine. I've been thinking about switching to Fromm, that's what I used to feed our other bully til we got Pippen and switched them to this since the breeder raves about it.

Diet can have something to do w/it, but I don't know too much about this (just what I've read on here and other forums). If you switch, maybe consider Honest Kitchen, since she has reoccurring UTIs and has had stones…she could possibly use more liquid. Wes just switched recently and can give you some pointers and Jessica's Ty has been on it for quite a while and doing really well…(tagged for more info/advice)

We are on Fromm, but I recommended HK instead of another kibble because of the bladder.

Can you ask your vet about probiotics since she has been on antibiotics so much (they kill the good bacteria and that needs to be replenished). Boosting the immune system can't hurt. I hope they figure out what is going on and you get some answers…wish I knew more, keep us posted after her next appt.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
there is also a thread on here about bully diapers, if you're interested in reading it, let me know, I'll search and paste here for you

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Diet can have something to do w/it, but I don't know too much about this (just what I've read on here and other forums). If you switch, maybe consider Honest Kitchen, since she has reoccurring UTIs and has had stones…she could possibly use more liquid. Wes just switched recently and can give you some pointers and Jessica's Ty has been on it for quite a while and doing really well…(tagged for more info/advice)

We are on Fromm, but I recommended HK instead of another kibble because of the bladder.

Can you ask your vet about probiotics since she has been on antibiotics so much (they kill the good bacteria and that needs to be replenished). Boosting the immune system can't hurt. I hope they figure out what is going on and you get some answers…wish I knew more, keep us posted after her next appt.

Yea I have looked into HK before as well, it's pretty expensive but I guess not more than paying all these vet bills!! I already give her a daily probiotic from Hardypet. She also gets Apple Cider Vinegar in her food everyday (plus I always add water to their kibble) and was giving her a cranberry supplement for awhile but she was still getting the infections so haven't given that in awhile. Thanks so much for all the suggestions, I know I always like to try everything bc you just never know what could be the problem!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Who is your vet? Any chance you could get a second opinion if this keeps happening and they can't figure out why? This one was recommended for Houston a few years back…is this your vet by any chance??

Brittmore Animal Hospital​
Dr. Matt Dikeman or Dr. Kit Kampschmidt​
Houston, Texas​
713-468-8253​

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks but we already take them to a great bulldog vet here in Houston [emoji20] The only other thing they have mentioned is she may need surgery to tuck her vulva under but said before that hers doesn't really look that bad so I don't even know if that would help and really don't want to put her through another surgery again right now!

Which bulldog vet do you have in Houston. [MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] can recommend a vet if needed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.