Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recurring UTIs

Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglandBully View Post
    Going out on a limb here…but I wouldn't be as concerned w/the "grain-free" thing at this point, just w/all that is going on…and HK being a recommended food on here. A lot of the hype w/grains has to do w/allergy prone breeds, poor ingredients and the whole GMO's causing leaky gut and such. Not all grains cause problems and some "grain-frees" are not appropriate for individual dogs.
    Potatoes and yams can also cause allergy related issue and they are listed in some grain-free foods - so keep in mind when trying to find a good fit. Your case is different because of the constant UTI's and not knowing the underlying problem yet. It could be that the first one never quite went away, or her vulva, or diet/immune related…sounds like you've been doing all you can, hoping someone chimes in w/experience in why this is happening to her.
    Yes I think you're right. The grain in this is organic oats so I know they are high quality and hopefully not a problem! This one does contain potatoes but her current food does too. Obviously I am going to try everything at this point and hopefully find out what the issue is!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes NewEnglandBully liked this post
    Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I might look into the as well. I have no idea if Chunky would have any issues with grains since I have never fed him anything with grains in it other than what the vet sent him home with and I only fed him that for 3 days mixed in with Acana Appalachian Ranch that i had switched him back too.

I remember you commenting in my thread now that you mention it. From what I read female dogs can get cystine stones also but they aren't noticeable since they can pass them without issues. I read a lot of different articles so I don't remember exactly where I read it at. The article might of meant the female can carry the disease and pass it on to its pups

I hope Pippen gets better
    Oh yes I read so much about those stupid cystine stones too! Haha. From what I remember it was only in the mastiff breeds that it seemed to be only in males and that the neutering prevented them. I think in other breeds that didn't matter and they have to rely on diet and medications to prevent them. Maybe those breeds the females can get them as well. It's been awhile since I've read up on them, I'm just so glad we never had to worry about those again!

4. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=sunkissedpr1ncs;683371]Yes I think you're right. The grain in this is organic oats so I know they are high quality and hopefully not a problem! This one does contain potatoes but her current food does too. Obviously I am going to try everything at this point and hopefully find out what the issue is!!

Have you tried the same food she's on but switching to a different protein other than salmon?

Also, do you wipe her after peeing with nonscented baby wipes?

I'd also take her off the ACV & see if that helps stone issue.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

6. Likes ddnene liked this post
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

I am wondering if ACV might have something to do with kidney issues because Pippen and Chunky were both getting it in their food? Some dogs if not drinking enough water might not be able to handle it. Chunky has always had water put on his food and still does with the Honest Kitchen but does not drink much out of his water bowl

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;683373]
    Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    Yes I think you're right. The grain in this is organic oats so I know they are high quality and hopefully not a problem! This one does contain potatoes but her current food does too. Obviously I am going to try everything at this point and hopefully find out what the issue is!!

Have you tried the same food she's on but switching to a different protein other than salmon?

Also, do you wipe her after peeing with nonscented baby wipes?

I'd also take her off the ACV & see if that helps stone issue.
    Hmmm no we haven't tried switching the food yet, but I've been thinking about switching to something else for awhile, just haven't known what yet.

I have tried wiping her and also taking off the ACV for awhile before but those didn't seem to help either

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I am wondering if ACV might have something to do with kidney issues because Pippen and Chunky were both getting it in their food? Some dogs if not drinking enough water might not be able to handle it. Chunky has always had water put on his food and still does with the Honest Kitchen but does not drink much out of his water bowl
    We tried not giving it to her for awhile before but she still got the UTIs. She drinks a good amount of water and I always add water to her food bowl too. I'm sure Chunky doesn't drink a lot of water on THK since he is already getting so much water in the food! We had our other bully on frozen raw before we got Pippen and I swear he went almost a year without drinking from his water bowl because he was already getting so much water from the food!!

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Chiming in on the ACV (just because I'm such a huge ACV nut) and have done extensive research (and tests, personally)…
    ******Note: I do have an e-mail in to BRAGGS regarding the amino acid concern…because the amines are found in the Mother (the floating brown vein looking things) and that part distributed is not measured is why I suspect there is no mention of Amino content % wise.********

Apple Cider Vinegar has been shown to reduce, dissolve and help w/passing of stones (humans and canines). I quoted The Whole Dog Journal in a write up I did some time back that it clears and prevents urinary infections while acting as a natural antibiotic (keeping the good bacteria in-tact).

I have pages of note-worthy sites on research, articles and studies and have yet to find any info on ACV proven harmful to kidney-prone problems…I am always updating my research, so please send me (reputable) links if you find anything on the contrary. I have no relation to the product or the company I prefer (Braggs), my advocacy on it is strictly based on how well it has worked for me and my family (and my dog). I would hate for this product to get a bad rep for making stones worse until more info is known…it has been such a help to many owners and the issues they've battled. It's a great way to help keep vet bills down too because it's a great immune booster.
    By no means do I mean for you two (Michele and Wes) to add it back in to the diet…I just want to be clear that there hasn't been any data supporting harmful effects on canine KD or the like. Once I receive a reply from Braggs about their amino content I will post…sorry for the long rant - there is so much mis-information on the internet and this is one topic where I pride myself on the extensive research from reputable sites that offer pertinent knowledge to the matter. ~ clarifying for those that may find this thread doing their own research...

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=sunkissedpr1ncs;683376][QUOTE=Texas Carol;683373]

Hmmm no we haven't tried switching the food yet, but I've been thinking about switching to something else for awhile, just haven't known what yet.

I have tried wiping her and also taking off the ACV for awhile before but those didn't seem to help either

Recurring UTI's can be caused by extra sugar (have her checked for diabetes) so a diet low in sugar is critical. The
    antibiotics are most likely causing yeast problems so a good probiotic is important and one that survives stomach
    acid is a must to be effective! Fromm had a lower % of sugar compared to some other kibble but raw is best. Does
    she smell yeasty or have other symptoms such as itchiness, chewing on paws, ear issues, etc?

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

14. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Like some knows, when Nyala was 4 months old she had UTI issues to. Pee here and there way too often. Vet said change food and all to RC. Well that was a no go for me. I decided to home cook. Solved that problem. 180$ Honest Kitchen is expensive and not for everyone's budget. I am for Home Cooking, Raw or Honest Kitchen. But I wanted to do it myself. Like you mentioned in one of your post, its turkey, carrots, I add sweet potatoes, green n yellow string beans, lima beans and of course top it with the broth. She never had crystals, uti anything since then. Dogs do not drink or barely water if they are HC or Raw. Their food is loaded of moisture. So it's normal. I still top it with turkey broth. Nyala is a healthy little bully. Oh and cost me about $100ish a month. Aside from the zip locks n snacks.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Texas Carol;683385][QUOTE=sunkissedpr1ncs;683376]
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Carol View Post

Recurring UTI's can be caused by extra sugar (have her checked for diabetes) so a diet low in sugar is critical. The
    antibiotics are most likely causing yeast problems so a good probiotic is important and one that survives stomach
    acid is a must to be effective! Fromm had a lower % of sugar compared to some other kibble but raw is best. Does
    she smell yeasty or have other symptoms such as itchiness, chewing on paws, ear issues, etc?
    I was just about to chime in... I had a diabetic cat and the first sign was his reoccurring UTI's. He was having them constantly, and then we found he was a diabetic. Does she drink a lot of water?

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=ddnene;683404][QUOTE=Texas Carol;683385]

I was just about to chime in... I had a diabetic cat and the first sign was his reoccurring UTI's. He was having them constantly, and then we found he was a diabetic. Does she drink a lot of water?
    We do give her a good probiotic daily and I haven't noticed her smelling yeasty, licking, etc. The only time she drinks a lot of water is when she has a UTI, otherwise she drinks a normal amount

18. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

They do an ultrasound every time they do a culture and they are usually clear. The last infection they did see some stones but when we had her re-checked they were gone, so they were the type that was just from the infection. We had blood work done when she had surgery and everything came back great. The only thing I can think of is that she squats all the way to the ground when she pees but what am I supposed to do about that?? Haha

Thanks but we already take them to a great bulldog vet here in Houston The only other thing they have mentioned is she may need surgery to tuck her vulva under but said before that hers doesn't really look that bad so I don't even know if that would help and really don't want to put her through another surgery again right now!

We had this issue with Banks at right about the same age... after the 3rd UTI our vet did the vulvaplasty and she only had one more UTI about 4 years later. Banks was just like your girl... no stones, it would go away on the antibiotics, sometimes get up and she would be wet. On the 3rd UTI in a short period of time, Dr. Joe said with everything being good (bladder, no stones, etc) He wanted to do the vuvlaplasty to remove the extra skin... with her being a low pee'er (practically sat on the grass when she went, she would always get the infection due to dirt or whatever getting caught in the area. From the time he told us that till the surgery would would wipe her girlie parts after each pee, but I can't say of it helped or not because we had surgery scheduled within a week of discussing it.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads