Need advice regarding heartworms!

bullylover92

Dec 9, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
None
Hello everyone,

So I currently have an 11 month English bulldog who I would like to get a friend. I am in talks with a breeder who has a retired breeding Frenchie who is 3 years old. She recently has had heartworms and has been treated. I have attached snapshots of the messages for you to read. Is there anything about this that would deter you from adopting her? Will there be any long term costs or a shorter life expectancy? Or anything else I should be worried about?

Thanks for the help IMG_2945.PNGIMG_2946.PNG

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm going to tag some people that are familiar w/Frenchies... from what I understand once they are treated for heart worms you just have to continue the heart worm prevention medication. I don't believe there is a worry of re-infection unless you don't give them the heart worm preventative. Sounds like she is a friendly pup that is already spayed and vaccinated... I would say if she reacts well to you and your family go for it!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I haven't heard of that method of treating heartworms. The one thing I would recommend is to speak to your vet about it(that kind of treatment),and see what he says. Otherwise she sounds good. Most Frenchies are silly and sweet dogs.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Hi there, welcome!!
I have no experience w/heartworm or Frenchies, but…I wanted to tell you how great I think it is that you are considering this and looking into the future treatments/process!
The breeder sounds very loving and caring and genuinely looking to find a good home…I'm surprised too that they never discovered heart worm after 3 years, that's kind of odd if they were giving a preventative all along?! I wish you the best and think it's so awesome that you joined here and asked for advice on this…please keep us updated and if you do decide to get her, please post pics!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Continued monthly preventive should be all she needs.... i also agree she sounds sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bullylover92

Dec 9, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
None
So my next question is does anyone have any experience with mastitis? Another breeder I'm speaking with has a girl who came down with it her last pregnancy. She is two years old and has had two litters. It has since been treated. Would this deter you at all from adopting her? Are there any permanent effects from it?

And thank you all for the help so far! It is greatly appreciated

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So my next question is does anyone have any experience with mastitis? Another breeder I'm speaking with has a girl who came down with it her last pregnancy. She is two years old and has had two litters. It has since been treated. Would this deter you at all from adopting her? Are there any permanent effects from it?

And thank you all for the help so far! It is greatly appreciated

I have no experience with it as it is only seen in nursing mommas... I'll tag a few people that might have knowledge or experience.

What I read online -- as long as it is treated at the time, she should be fine.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
As for the heartworm positive frenchie, working for a vet I have never heard of this treatment for heartworms but I would take to your own vet before adopting. As for Mastitis female if she is now spayed should be no problems in future. But once again take her to your regular vet for his advise.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The mastitis should not be a problem once she has been treated for it, I have never heard of it causing future problems...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would talk to their vet a ask about the treatment, and also ask about her health in general. Sounds like they do not take care of their dogs very well. All reputable breeders I know all do heartworm prevention. She is big for a Frenchie female, but since you are not showing her, it doesn't matter. Plus as others have said, I would take her to your vet to see what he/she says about her. I would talk to their vet first though. As for the Mastitis, it is treatable, and should not cause her any more problems since she is spayed already.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.